Event for Valentines Day??

ClairabusGryffClairabusGryff Posts: 847 ✭✭✭✭✭
in Other In-Game Events #1 latest comment 14 February, 2020, 05:03 pm.

Hello!!

So we are three weeks away from Valentine’s Day and after just re-watching the movies I was wondering what everyone thought about some kind of HPWU Valentine’s Day event? What do you think? Something to do with Felix Felicis or the Love Potion - think of Ron and his obsessed girlfriend Lavendar...

So what do you think would be a cool concept for Valentine’s Day?? @Owlx @AuroraKadavra @Acumen ya’ll always have the best ideas that I have read. H and @Lucoire

Tagged:

Comments

• LucoireLucoire Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #223 January, 2020, 08:59 pm.

What about the "magic attack birds" that Hermine summoned when she was grumpy with Ron during the time he was (poison-induced) starstruck?

But joking aside... what is Valentine's Day about? It's about love and romance, which in the Harry Potter universe might be a celebration of the "famous" lovers - even the platonic ones:

• James Potter and Lily Potter
    • Severus Snape and Lily Evans
    • Harry Potter and Ginny Weasley
    • Cedric Diggory and Cho Chang
    • Ron Weasley and Hermine Granger
    • Fleur Delacour and Bill Weasley

Or what about Sympathy for those that haven't found love just yet (and settled for other companions to shower with affection)? What about "Familiars" (see my suggestion here)

• AcumenAcumen Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #323 January, 2020, 09:17 pm.

Don't forget Lupin and Tonks, @Lucoire!

I would LOVE to see a Ron Weasley Foundable being attacked by a bird conjuring charm!

As for my plans.... 😄

#423 January, 2020, 09:27 pm.

@Acumen Hm... I haven't forgotten about Remus and Nymphadora, I just omitted them due to the fact that bringing them up would be confusing: are we celebrating their love or are we mourning their untimely departure? (but then we should also omit James and Lily... difficult decision)

• ClairabusGryffClairabusGryff Posts: 847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #523 January, 2020, 09:30 pm.

Yes @Lucoire - I am in the bucket of people who haven’t found love yet. Also add to that list Professor Lupin and Nymphadora Tonks? I loved them together and it broke my heart when they died at the battle of Hogwarts. We could even go into the Magical Beasts loves like Newt and Tina and Jacob and Queenie.

But I do love the idea about the magic attack birds - they could be in the fortress maybe?

#623 January, 2020, 09:31 pm.

Two misunderstood people finding love is definitely worth celebrating! But yeah, it would be a bittersweet celebration.

It looks like my image was rejected. Probably won't allow copyrighted images from the movies anymore, which is a little weird, but I guess I understand, sort of. Bummer.

#723 January, 2020, 09:51 pm.

I'll show you, copyright police! I'll make my own image! 😄

#823 January, 2020, 09:54 pm.

Hm. Looking back at the Movies and Books, Love and especially Valentine's Day has been a somewhat difficult topic.

I'd even go as far as saying "Valentine's Day" should be a reminder that affection is misunderstood and misused quite often - and in the HP universe is remarkably painful. Remember:

• Katie Bell and the "cursed neclace" (aimed at cursing Dumbledore but misunderstood as a lovely gift that resulted in tragedy)
    • Romilda Vane and the Love Potion (that was aimed at Harry but poisoned Ron instead)
    • Lily's sacrifice
    • Severus's heroic/platonic/tortured love for Lily
    • Fleur and her fight for Molly Weasley's approval regarding her love to Bill Weasley
    • Hermine and her hurtful Relationship with Ron ("Victor" causing Ron to be jealous, "Lavender" causing Hermine to be heartbroken, the Horcrux-Locket causing them to fight until they completely separated)
    • Ginny and her awkward and somewhat obsessive Relationship with Harry (that enabled Tom's Diary to control her to that extend in the first place)
    • Albus Dumbledore and Gellert Grindelwald

I'd even go as far as saying that the Harry Potter universe is a prime example that Love can succeed even when blocked by overwhelming obstacles. To illustrate that, Valentine's should contain parts of both the obstacles that the lovers overcame and the love itself.

#923 January, 2020, 09:55 pm.

@Acumen so bittersweet. Just all of it but your darn copyright image with the HP is literally making my day complete!!

• OwlxOwlx Posts: 880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1024 January, 2020, 03:02 am.

Oh! @ClairabusGryff ❤ this idea and discussion thank you. I skimmed thru really quickly.

Portkey location Madame Puddifoot's Tea Shop in Hogsmead.

Ron and Romilda Vane

A Slugworth party. Yes I know was Christmas in the books. But think it would fit this well too.

#1124 January, 2020, 04:35 pm.

I love it @Owlx - I loved Professor Slughorn he was so eccentric and odd but adored him nonetheless. Especially when Albus and HP found him disguised as a lazy boy chair.

Have they done a Portkey location of the Weasleys joke store?

• BormacskaBormacska Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24 #1224 January, 2020, 08:00 pm.

@ClairabusGryff , yes they have. That would be one of the 10k portkeys

#1324 January, 2020, 08:47 pm.

@Bormacska was that an event only Portkey? Because the 10km portkeys I open are Olivander’s wand shop. Right? Or have I lost my marbles...which is totally possible.

• DogoutlawDogoutlaw Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1424 January, 2020, 11:02 pm.

The 10Km portkeys can open to Honeydukes sweet shop I think, not the joke shop. I don't think they've done the joke shop yet, which be fun!

#1524 January, 2020, 11:40 pm.

I don’t recall the Weasleys joke shop being a Portkey location but would love ❤️ to have it!!

• BormacskaBormacska Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1625 January, 2020, 02:24 am.

Wow, shows you how often I pay attention to my portkeys! Actually I think I have picked up a grand total of 3 10k portkeys and just assumed that it was Weasley's store not honeydukes. Sorry about that!

I'll go back to my cave now.... 😞

#1725 January, 2020, 03:04 pm.

It’s all good @Bormacska!!! Get out of your cave and play today! Hopefully soon we will see a Portkey at the Weasleys joke shop...maybe April Fools Day??

• Osprey1Osprey1 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1926 January, 2020, 03:40 am.

Ugh! My wife won't support me in this but I find linking Snape with Valentine's day to be entirely cringe worthy. In my opinion that wasn't love, it was stalkerish infatuation.

Here's a good medium article with references:

“Can Severus Snape Be Redeemed by His Love For Lily Potter?” by Larkspur Kolganova https://link.medium.com/YO2LIZgmy3

#2029 January, 2020, 05:38 pm.

I tend to agree with you @Osprey1 ...Snape was obsessed with Lily Potter and stalker-ish! I wish they could do something around the love potion making everyone all google eyed and lovey dovey!!

• hpwulolahpwulola Posts: 795 admin
    #2104 February, 2020, 06:12 pm.

Our February events have been announced:

I had been following this thread to see if anyones guesses were correct! Many were close, as the Lost Love Brilliant Week 2 does feature Snape. However, the Crazy in Love event is probably a bonus surprise to you all! 😀

#2204 February, 2020, 06:22 pm.

Woohoo thank you again @HPWULola ! So excited to see what y’all came up with. The truth is that will be my Valentine this year. 💕

• Dewin99Dewin99 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #2304 February, 2020, 09:25 pm.

Many thanks! @HPWULola

• KeybounceKeybounce Posts: 462 ✭✭✭
    #2411 February, 2020, 02:22 am.

There is one aspect of the wizard world love ritual that I'd like to see reflected at some point. Probably too late for this year, but there is next year.

We saw one witch slip a love potion (infatuation potion? Desire? Lust?) to Ron.

I've seen this discussed in a few places. Interesting, this is NOT the only time we hear about this happening. The general idea that I've seen is basically: This is part of the "mating" / proffering love ritual in the wizarding world.

Instead of women being passive, trying to look pretty, and get the eye of their choice of guy, they are active, and give them a dose.

One dose.

Then, wait for it to wear off, and then ask "Did you like that?".

This is an interesting take. It puts the women in charge of selecting mates, which is what biologists tell us is the actual truth.

Now, how to do something with this idea in-game? No clue -- that's your job :-)

• Magpie31Magpie31 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #2511 February, 2020, 02:57 pm.

@Keybounce It is part of the books that doesm't sit right with me and I am glad it isn't part of the game. Love potion has connotations of abuse, and particularly reminds me of serious incidents that happen under the influence of drugs. I know this forum wouldn't let me name the incident so I won't.

This is also hinted at when it is said that Voldemort is incapable of love because one parent was under the influence of the love potion. Again, this assertation has disturbing messages attavhed if you take it one step further.

I think, what I am saying, is that these love potions can be considered harmless pranks in some cases, but there is a really dark side, and I don't think they could be considered a normal part of dating in the wizarding world.

#2614 February, 2020, 04:26 am.

@ClairabusGryff Squeee so excited. Did you see where the new portkey location is?!!!??

Did ya? Did ya? Did ya huh?!

No spoilers. It's great!!!❤❣❤

#2714 February, 2020, 02:33 pm.

Yes @Owlx and I immediately thought of you!! Are you so happy today??

#2814 February, 2020, 03:56 pm.

@ClairabusGryff LOL I thought of you. I mean i squued out loud and scared the cat!

So happy

#2914 February, 2020, 05:03 pm.

I normally save my portkeys for when I have a BBE going but yesterday I immediately opened the first one that opened and was so happy to see the NEW Portkey location! Thank you so much @hpwulola and team! And many thanks @Owlx for the fantabulous idea!!