Spoiler - January brilliant event

BormacskaBormacska Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
in Brilliant Events #1 latest comment 24 January, 2020, 08:58 pm.

As @kiheikid would say...

You know the drill...

Comments

• BormacskaBormacska Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #216 January, 2020, 03:21 am.

From fazes this evening on discord... The orange wizard graphics are in moderation 🙄😂

@everyone Hi! 

Part 1 of the Brilliant Event: Darkest of Times starts Tuesday, January 21st at 11am PST! 

To help you on your tasks, here is where you can find the Brilliant Foundables on the Event Registry pages:

Part 1: 

Professor Burbage (3) - Wizarding Challenges with Brilliant Runestones

Professor Trewlaney (5) - Brilliant Portkey

Glass Jug of Pumpkin Juice (1) - Tasks

Post Owl (1) - Tasks

Brilliant Dumbledore (15) - Brilliant Encounter

Brilliant Fawkes (15) - Brilliant Encounter

We’ve also extended Baruffio’s Brain Elixir to last 1 hour, as opposed to the usual 30 minutes. Brilliant Portkeys will be rewarding only Wizarding XP.  

Brilliant Portkeys for this event will be 3km. As a reminder, Part 1 Portkeys will give you part 1 rewards anytime you open them, even if you wait to open them during Part 2. 

Plus, Part 1 will also have Bonus Assignment after the main tasks are completed. Make sure to look for these in-game. 

Hope this helps you prepare! Don’t forget to pick up your free store pack with 1 Silver Key, Ingredients for a Baruffio’s Brain Elixir, and 25 Spell Energy. 

#316 January, 2020, 03:51 am.

FYI : there's a bit of unlocking portkeys in part 3/4 and more in the bonus round, so perhaps picking up a few 2ks might be a good thing...

• Magpie31Magpie31 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #416 January, 2020, 03:53 am.

@Bormacska I was thinking that too. I was trying to clear out my portkeys before the event, but might hold onto the 3 or 4 2km ones that I haven't started yet.

#516 January, 2020, 04:01 am.

Every image I have tried to post in the last two days has gone to moderation, so something shifted or I'm now on the watch list for Niantic 🤔😅

• kiheikidkiheikid Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #616 January, 2020, 04:29 am.

@Bormacska - thank you for sharing the tips from @HPWUFazes (it’s frustrating that she won’t post directly here, and that we here have to get the tips (originating from her) second-hand or third-hand). as for pic files going to approval-bot-heck, welcome to the club (not sure if everyone is in it).

#716 January, 2020, 04:35 am.
  • AcumenAcumen Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #816 January, 2020, 02:43 pm.

I wonder if the image issue is the result of a recent file size restriction or something along that line. Images should automagically be compressed and resized while maintaining correct aspect ratio, but we’ve all observed that this particular forum platform is... well... unique. I’ll try a couple tests.

This first one will be a screenshot that’s been cropped and resized.

#916 January, 2020, 02:54 pm.

Yeah, now you're just showing off @Acumen! 😉.

I get having a multiple image go to moderation, but I have another post which is cropped and also in moderation, so apparently I am a marked problem this week! 😂🤣🤪

#1016 January, 2020, 02:59 pm.

When I attempted to post the same screenshot in raw, unedited form, it was held for approval.

@hpwulola, as several users have noted, there appears to be something that changed with the image upload functionality on this forum. I don't know whether you added this functionality via a plugin or by direct edit of your custom theme. If the latter is true, you may want to look a the following:

Aspect Ratio:

If you want to resize images but maintain proper aspect ratio, set a max width but no max height, like so...

.Message img {
    max-width: 600px;
    height: auto;
    }

File Size:

If you're limiting file size with code like the following, please let us know what that limit is. 1mb? 5mb?

$Configuration['Garden']['Upload']['MaxFileSize']= '50M';

#1116 January, 2020, 03:11 pm.

And now I’ll try the same screenshot in raw, unedited form.

#1216 January, 2020, 03:50 pm.

Well, it looks like the raw image that was held for approval, which is 2.36mb in size, was approved. Man, it bugs me to see that big monstrosity, but I'll just have to let that go.

Anyway, it's hard to say without any direct feedback from the admins yet, but it seems like the issue might be a couple things at play. One is that files over a certain size (I'm guessing one or two megabytes) are automatically held for approval. The other is that they might be rejecting images held for approval that contain spoiler information from third parties.

I don't think specific users are on a naughty list or anything like that, but they may be taking steps to try and prevent the spread of misinformation. Even if information shared is accurate when posted, that could change. Third parties can spoil and speculate all they want on their own platforms, but I can see why they'd discourage posting some of that content here.

#1316 January, 2020, 05:12 pm.

Or it could just be bad luck. I don't know. I have no idea what I'm talking about most of the time. Occasionally I'm right about something like this but it's only because, if I take enough shots in the dark, I'm bound to hit the target at some point. I should talk about cheese more. That's a better topic, more suited to my abilities. Not that I'm an expert on the science behind it or anything. I just like cheese.

• ClairabusGryffClairabusGryff Posts: 871 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1416 January, 2020, 07:20 pm.

Just out of curiosity and not trying to be negative or start a battle but is there a reason that the event details are posted on other sites like game press but not posted on this HPWU forum? Is it a situation where HPWU wants to surprise us with the details of the tasks? I am honestly just curious. With that being said I am one of those players that likes to be able to plan things out as that is one of my New Years resolutions is to plan more so if the bonus task is to open 10 portmanteaus then my planning self would like to start collecting and not open the 2km portkeys so that I may utilize them for the final bonus task. I know we can access the event details on a multitude of different social media sites so the information is out there but I find it odd that the information is not on the actual games’ forum. Or am I missing something which is totally possible. Inquiring minds want to know. 😁😁😁

#1616 January, 2020, 09:03 pm.

Thank you @Acumen and I really appreciate you taking the time to defend both sides of the argument if you will. You always have a way with words and are very articulate, not to mention you most of the time make me laugh out loud a little with your vernacular. I get what you are saying completely and do see both sides. Do I want to know every single aspect of an event coming up? Probably not really as like you said what is the point of the game? General ideas are good as in this event the bonus task opening 10 portmanteaus is huge and I certainly don't want to have a list full of 10km's to open...not that that would ever happen. :)

I really honestly was curious as it seems this game has spawned quite a few internet experts that release information and tips, etc. that I don't see anywhere within our game. I ONLY go to one source for HPWU related information and that is this site. I find things IMO become convoluted when too much information from too many sources is readily available and mis-spread. For instance the graphic about dark detectors only spawing High or above spawns. So I simply just come here and that shall not change. But that is my personal priority. I am all for people doing what is best for themselves.

Again, I kindly thank you for your amazing perspective.

#1816 January, 2020, 09:52 pm.
    #1916 January, 2020, 09:53 pm.

i’m shocked and relieved that immediately preceding post went through with two screenshots and no approval-bot-heck

#2016 January, 2020, 09:55 pm.

by the way, arresto momentum spell is the one that looks like a big M

#2116 January, 2020, 10:08 pm.

@Acumen you literally made my day with your kind words... and I too, am middle aged as I turn the BIG 5-0 this year. Half a century on this earth. Blessed to be that is...

I have another question, all i have lately is questions I feel like...who is Professor Burbage? I feel like the Harry Potter gods may strike me down for not knowing this but here I am - of course I could Google it but I want to learn from all of you lovely people. :):)

#2216 January, 2020, 10:10 pm.

Poor Charity Burbage. Makes me want to cry. I'll let someone else tell that story. 😪

#2316 January, 2020, 10:11 pm.

Okay, so OW just posted a lovely image of all of the arrested momentum confoundables. But again I went straight to moderation. So if someone else would like to try and post, feel free. I give up on images this week. 🤔😞😭

#2416 January, 2020, 10:24 pm.

I don't blame you @Bormacska. I don't think it's you though. There have been lots of indications that there are some serious performance issues with the forum lately.

edited January 16 #2516 January, 2020, 10:33 pm.

Oh, I'll take it personally anyway as that's just my nature 😂🤣😂

And my squeaky wheel made enough noise! 🤣🤣🤣

#2616 January, 2020, 10:44 pm.

Let me try once again :

#2716 January, 2020, 11:32 pm.

And here I thought aresto momentum was the M hybrid with a C thingymawhopper.

• Magpie31Magpie31 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #2817 January, 2020, 02:01 am.

@ClairabusGryff Charity Burbage was the Muggle Studies teacher who was tortured and murdered by Voldemort.

#2917 January, 2020, 02:33 am.

@Magpie31 was that in the movies or just the books? I haven’t re-read the books in over a decade. Maybe time to dust them off??

• MtPolluxMtPollux Posts: 618 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #3017 January, 2020, 06:02 am.

@ClairabusGryff it was at the beginning of (I think) the 7th movie, Deathly Hallows part 1. It's the scene where Voldemort is having dinner with his followers.

edited January 17 #3117 January, 2020, 10:37 pm.

unlocking TEN (10) portkey portmanteaus in bonus assignment section seems like a lot, on top of the FIVE (5) portkey portmanteaus to be unlocked as part of task 3/4.

you would think @HPWUTeam event organizers would have coordinated this brilliant event with saturday’s community day, by offering special 1KM CD portkeys (like the ones previously for winged abraxan horse and hagrid’s hut) that we could have collected and put aside to help toward the brilliant event’s task 3/4 and/or bonus assignment. every little bit helps.

(it would have been nice to save eight 1km portmanteaus from CD, and use five of them to unlock at task 3/4 to get through quicker, then pick up and unlock five brilliant 3km portmanteaus to unlock as part of bonus assignment together with remaining three 1km portmanteaus.)

just wishful thinking, and maybe hoping @hpwulola will pass along this request to consider such coordination of CD and brilliant events for future months