Too many scrolls

AthamusAthamus Posts: 4 ✭✭
in Feature Requests #1 latest comment 31 March, 2021, 07:54 am.

I appreciate the way we can earn scrolls, but the difficulty to earn books makes a lot of scrolls quite useless. I have over 1500 sitting around for no good reason, right now.

So, can we get a book store in Diagon Alley, that offers the service of binding books? For example 100 scrolls can be bound to one red book and 200 scrolls can be bound to one restricted book.

Comments

• kiheikidkiheikid Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #317 January, 2020, 08:28 am.
  • JeroenixJeroenix Posts: 104 ✭✭✭
    #417 January, 2020, 08:56 am.

Hi,

Keep in mind that the Profession screen states: "More lessons coming soon!". I think it'll sort itself out when new skill trees are made. I'm sure they can make queries on how many scrolls people have on average, and adjust the new lessons requirements accordingly.

And hey, they said "Soon", so how long can that really take, huh? :)

• Magpie31Magpie31 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #517 January, 2020, 11:23 am.

@Jeroenix I think your comment about further lessons is interesting, and those costs are really going to give an idea of what they expect from players. If they expect players to have a second fairly well-developed profession, then their scroll costs will have to remain low (as average players may have spent extra scrolls on other professions). If they expect a single profession, then costs will be higher. The next stage in professions will really communicate their vision for that aspect of the game.

#617 January, 2020, 01:12 pm.

Indeed. I'm saving mine, all of them. I've already chosen a path of only one profession, and if new trees arrive, I expect to become extremely specialized in my field. This is an opportunity for the developers to check and see the configurations of all players, and create reasonably priced new skills.

If things change too radically, I would also suggest an obliviate function (with coins if need be) so people will be able to choose again. Of course, we'll forget the obliviate spell itself when used, so you can't be specialized into other professions from day to day, that would ruin things.

• ClairabusGryffClairabusGryff Posts: 988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #717 January, 2020, 06:18 pm.

I really like your idea of obliviate @Jeroenix! On the first day I downloaded and started playing HP I immediately chose Magizoo and I don't think I will change that but the option might be nice.

• LucoireLucoire Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #817 January, 2020, 07:18 pm.

@Jeroenix The issue with the Obliviate would be that reaching certain points in your professon is an achievement with rewards. So by resetting your profession after getting the Achievement-Rewards and then getting the Achievement-Rewards for a different profession without having enough Scrolls and Books for both simultaneously - is kinda unfair.

#920 January, 2020, 10:16 pm.

@Lucoire True, there are some snags to the idea, things must never get too easy. Indeed, with this idea you could 'buy' the achievements to another profession. I hope all the excess scrolls could be put to use someday.

• BenTigerBenTiger Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1022 January, 2020, 06:43 am.

@Jeroenix To Niantic, soon can mean months to years. Pokemon breeding was "coming soon" over two years ago and it has yet to be implemented in the game. My best guess is that new lesson plans will likely be released once a year.

As they release future lesson plans, the Challenges will get easier. They will likely be adding additional Runestone levels and higher level Challenges as well. These thing mean that you will be earning more Skill Books from Challenges. The only limiting factor will be Restricted Section Books, as those are currently only from events.

• CatschelinCatschelin Posts: 2 ✭✭
    #1101 April, 2020, 05:32 pm.

That is an amazing idea! I have too many scrolls and am a few lessons away from completing my professor ship. And with our stay at home order, I can't go out and earn more books.

• KodokmagKodokmag Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭✭
    #1202 April, 2020, 12:25 am.

I hope the binding service result in a book that have ability to remote access nearby fortress or inn or green house.

I like this one more. More playable options for lockdown.

• ThBurrowThBurrow Posts: 4 ✭✭
    #1330 March, 2021, 12:33 pm.

Terrific idea. I thought it was just me. I have 9000 scrolls just sitting there.

• DrakoniteDrakonite Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭✭
    #1430 March, 2021, 02:20 pm.

idk if and when we'll get new profession plans and/or any other content which may require scrolls to unlock but I know this: ive seen a lot of requests for one currency (ie: scrolls) to be converted into another currency (ie: red books/ field guides etc) and while i wouldnt mind it I also know this: Ive been playing since day 1, at this present moment I have 60.000 scrolls, 2.600 reds, 51000 fgs, 20000 mms, 2.200 dadas, have finished all 3 adver. plans and nearing 50k on sos counter (restricted by restricted books 30/month etc).

Some ppl have even suggested/hoped that lethal adversaries may drop rsbs instead of dadas.

I get new players (or older (time in game not age in years) who are more casual) may want or even need a converted of sorts but I dont think its gonna happen. For one thing devs give 'us' this and quite a few players, Idk if it can be called a majority or 'a large percentage' but quite a few ppl will be instantly done with everything in game and then thereafter have absolutely nothing to do. As is right now you have either focused -all- your green (rsb) books in professions and your sos is lacking, you did all the sos and you have solo or duo (but not all 3) professions or you did solo profession and some of sos and still have some rsb b/c most of sos nodes are complete trash. But, either way they give us a means to change those currencies we have a lot of sitting to the one or two currencies (most likely restricted books) we need but dont have and we are done. We quite literally have no reason to login the game b/c we have nothing to do. They (devs) just lost them a small/large/significant percentage of ppl who may or may not keep logging in every few months to check for new content they can spend time and/or $ in.

But that applies for long standing regular players. I do agree that if you are a new player or an older casual player you may not have a lot of currencies, but should you be allowed to convert the currency/ies you dont need/want (ie scrolls or field guides as theyre the easiest to get/hoard) itd not be long before even new and/or casual players would find themselves w/o having much to do in game.

They missed a real opportunity with the adversarial plans, they could have been more intricate with more and different per profession nodes requiring more scrolls and/or red books and/or green books and/or dada etc.

First profession for magiz needed 465 reds, 2nd one requires 600....1st profession needed around 2000 scrolls 2nd (adversarial) one requires 3000 and 1150 dada and 14 rsbs each (so any of that currency x3 if you want to do all 3), i understand devs cant 'code' a professor with a hard grinder player in mind but why so few? 3000 for 2nd when 1st was 2000? first was 2000 2nd one should have been 5000 and 3rd one 10000 (scrolls) we'd be down 15k scrolls for 2nd one x3 and 30k for 3rd, then no one'd be complaining for how many scrolls they have pilling up...

red books arent too hard to come by either, with the knight bus, a discord forting group and the red book nodes at the end of sos tree 1 they pile up faster and faster. All you rly need is one to two hrs of game play a day and in less than a year you'll be swimming in more resources/currencies than you'll ever know what to do with.

And yes I know casual can mean "i opened the game once or twice a week maybe did some of the event's tasks" but nothing can or will help you there and the devs cant 'code' the game for this extreme either b/c then anyone who does spend an hr a day in the game will not be saying "I have 54000 scrolls" but "I have 500.000 scrolls".

I dont see them giving us a conversion tool or a way to farm restricted books w/o placing another new gate (new currency?) simply b/c then for a percentage (small or large) of the playership there'll be nothing left to do ingame.

• HalloMamiHalloMami Posts: 82 ✭✭✭
    #1531 March, 2021, 07:54 am.

Yeah, I don't see that happening either, and I don't mind it. Yeah, eventually you have tons of scrolls, so what?

It obviously was a conscious design decision to have multiple different resources that you have to obtain in different ways which is likely supposed to force you to play the different aspects of the game. RSB on purpose are there to throttle progress. So, why would they change this, really?