Gaming the Gifts

TispyTispy Posts: 17 ✭✭
in Gifts #1 latest comment 22 March, 2020, 08:40 pm.

So I’ve figured out how to maximize Extravagamt Gifts from the Inns, but I cannot figure out the Greenhouses or Fortresses. Is there a pattern? A way to guarantee that you PICK UP Extravagamt gifts? I currently have 20 Ex Spell Gifts to GIVE, but only 1 Ex Runestone Gift and a couple Exstimulo Ingredient Gifts from my early morning play. Has anyone figured it out yet?

Comments

• ClairabusGryffClairabusGryff Posts: 977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #202 January, 2020, 02:27 pm.

I haven’t figured out the fortress as I think it is completely random. But the greenhouses are like the inns. If you get and extravagant gift just keep coming back if you are able and it will give extravagant’s like the inns.

• TispyTispy Posts: 17 ✭✭
    #302 January, 2020, 07:35 pm.

Huh- that has not been my experience with the Greenhouses. If I get an EX or a Potent then the next one might be a Dawdle or a Baruffio’s gift- which is great, but not the Ex. Do you pick the same pot every time?

#402 January, 2020, 07:43 pm.

Yes, same pot. I only was able to test one and I got two extravagant gifts in a row. So it may have been a total fluke. But I know the inn that gives extravagant gifts will continue to until the end of the hour. I myself have tested that one several times and it works every time.

• AcumenAcumen Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #502 January, 2020, 07:46 pm.

My experience with greenhouses is they're also random, like fortresses. I have a greenhouse within reach from my apartment that I hit up frequently. I'll receive a basic ingredient gift, a potent exstimulo potion gift, a Baruffio's ingredient gift, or no gift at all within the same hour. I thought about tracking my greenhouse swipes over a few days to see if there's any recognizable pattern, but I doubt there is. So far, based on my own observations, inns are the only ones we can predict. Even then, we don't really know when they'll begin dropping extravagant gifts. It's just, if you happen to snag one, you know the same inn will keep dropping them for the remainder of the hour.

On another note, extravagant runestones appear to have been nerfed. I don't have any data to support that claim, but it feels that way. I haven't had one drop from a fortress challenge for several days now. I expected it to happen with these gifts, specifically. With the drop rate being as frequent as it was when gifting first rolled out, a couple players who were willing to spend enough time doing challenges could potentially send each other ten red books per day. At that rate, in addition to other spell books earned, a brand new player could complete all red book requirements for all three professions in three months or less. That probably sounds great to some players, but I could see why the developers wouldn't want to leave an exploit like that in place.

#602 January, 2020, 08:02 pm.

@Acumen were the extravagant runestone gifts that frequent in the beginning of gifting really? I never experienced that or should I say noticed that. The only thing I have found with runestone gifts is I seem to get more extravagant ones at sponsored fortresses . Which from what I have seen in San Antonio is the AT&T fortresses.

If you are speaking of some people getting up to 10 red spell books per day from gifts I can only assume that really happened and yet once again someone finds a way to take advantage of a situation and ruin it for the rest of us by HPWU team nerfing the gifts. Which then also makes sense as to why HPWU team hasn’t listened to our begs and pleas about being able to open up more gifts then 10 a day. I am one of those people wanting us to open more a day. Even if they made it 5 of each gift or maxxed out how many extravagant gifts we could open per day. Either way I am fine. But even an increase of 50% would be fantastic.

#702 January, 2020, 09:19 pm.

It’s quite possible I’m totally wrong about extravagant runestone drop rates being more frequent early on, @ClairabusGryff. Maybe I just had a lucky streak. This is why I don’t bother collecting data on drop rates, catch/depart rates, and that sort of thing. My numbers will be completely different from someone else’s, and tomorrow’s results won’t look at all like today’s. Meh... it’s whatever. shrugs LoL

#802 January, 2020, 09:49 pm.

TomAto, tomoto right @Acumen ? I don’t keep track of anything either but worship the people that do because numbers never lie. Which is why I love them!!

• MtPolluxMtPollux Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #902 January, 2020, 11:00 pm.

For what it's worth, right from the start I've experienced extravagant runestone gifts to be super rare. I've been lucky enough to receive 3 of them from my friends, but I only finally got my first one to drop from a fortress battle this past weekend.

• KeybounceKeybounce Posts: 462 ✭✭✭
    #1010 February, 2020, 12:22 am.

How do you know when an inn gave you an extravagant gift? They are not labeled when I get a gift, and I can't find a way to see the gifts I have to send without sending one.

#1110 February, 2020, 12:50 am.

@Keybounce you can go to the gifts to send tab and review the gifts there. The postcards will tell you where you got the gift from. Back when gifting came out you could see the type of gift you got when you got your spell energy or greenhouse gift but that doesn’t happen anymore. So you just have to look in the section above. I personally delete the basic ingredient gifts as we are only able to hold 30 gifts in our vault but you can send up to 100 gifts a day. But totally your call on the basic ingredient gifts. Hope that helps!!

• ZookiTabookiZookiTabooki Posts: 637 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1210 February, 2020, 01:34 am.

@Acumen I think you're right. Extravagant RS seem to be a lot rarer, not to mention the last 4 I received only gave me healing potions. We are victims of game balancing, no doubt. honestly, I don't mind. I worked hard for my red books; don't want them to be TOO easy to get.

#1310 February, 2020, 01:47 am.

Right? I feel you, @ZookiTabooki. More red books are great, but I don't want to cheapen it either. Also, there's a difference between Extravagant Runestone Gifts and Essential Runestone Gifts. The Essential ones include healing potion, while the Extravagant ones include a red book.

At every opportunity, I like to remind people on my friends list to not send me Extravagant Runestone Gifts. I definitely appreciate them, but I already finished the red books on my first lesson plan and I know there are other folks who need them more. Currently, they're just piling up in my vault with nothing to spend them on, unless I decide to invest in a second profession.

• ZookiTabookiZookiTabooki Posts: 637 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1410 February, 2020, 01:52 am.

hmm... I'll have to pay closer attention to that. Thanks.

• LeFayeofAlbionLeFayeofAlbion Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭
    #1510 February, 2020, 08:38 pm.

If anyone is reading, I’d like extravagant runestone gifts please! I need so many spellbooks.

@Acumen, you still want baruffio’s Or dawdle ingredient gifts.

I maybe wrong, but before, inns that gave extravagant spell energy gifts usually gave them until the hour reset, but they don’t seem to anymore. Am I wrong?

• Magpie31Magpie31 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1610 February, 2020, 09:08 pm.

Correct @LeFayeofAlbion I reckon someone realised that we were sitting on inns and farming gifts, so they now reset the gifts every 5 minutes rather than every hour. A shame, because I used to love spotting an extravagant inn and milking it!

#1710 February, 2020, 11:07 pm.

Anything is fine with me, @LeFayeofAlbion, thank you. Even basic ingredients or basic spell energy. I just like the postcards. I'll try to send another spellbook or two your way as soon as possible. I don't come by extravagant runestone gifts to send very often.

edited February 11 #1811 February, 2020, 01:25 am.

Fully noted @Acumen ! I personally need like 140ish red spell books so am happy to receive any of those type gifts. So thank you to the amazing fantastical people that have sent them to me. 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏. But truly I am grateful for every single gift I do receive. So thank you team HP! 🎁🎁🎁🎁

• SkaanaSkaana Posts: 92 ✭✭✭
    #1911 March, 2020, 05:51 am.

Hello @Acumen. That is a truly impressive take down list you amassed. Im guessing you've completed a profession and

are building out for another. Which is exactly what Ive done with my extra scrolls and Restricted books.... they fit perfectly into

Magizoo and Professor.

127 red books to go to complete my Auror training.... 2 books per day via Fortress battling.

• XenomerXenomer Posts: 47 ✭✭
    #2022 March, 2020, 07:48 pm.

"So I’ve figured out how to maximize Extravagamt Gifts from the Inns"

Care to share the information, please? Watching which inn drops an extravagant and staying there for an hour did not work for me. And - well, you need to believe this - I have 11 incoming extravagant gifts at the moment, and I don't want to open them, because I can't respond with the same gifts. So I am stalling. And without an in-game messaging, I'm afraid, I'm going to lose these distant friends with time.

• OwlxOwlx Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #2122 March, 2020, 08:40 pm.

@Xenomer that is an older post and Inns were on a 1 hour set. So if you got an Ex SE gift from said Inn if you continued to spin that same inn every 5 mintues you would get and Ex SE gift every spin until the inn reset.

That had been changed and gifts from inns are a product of Random Number Generator.