January 2020 Events?

ClairabusGryffClairabusGryff Posts: 848 ✭✭✭✭✭
in Other In-Game Events #1 latest comment 03 January, 2020, 10:55 pm.

First off I would like to applaud and comment the HPWU team for all of the amazing things they have rolled out since the game launched and just wow for all of the amazing things/tasks/events/CD for the month of December. BRAVO BRAVO

So since we have around 96 hours left in 2019 (Thank God, I am so excited about 2020), I was just curious if there is an event calendar for January 2020 as of yet or perhaps maybe someone can tell us when the first event will take place in January. Just out of curiosity.

Thank you again for making this game something that brings so much light and laughter into my life on a daily basis.

Comments

• ClairabusGryffClairabusGryff Posts: 848 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #327 December, 2019, 07:31 pm.

Agreed @NursePoppy

• OriginalCarusoOriginalCaruso Posts: 495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #427 December, 2019, 09:27 pm.

@ClairabusGryff - So I am not the only one who has struggled with 2019, has been difficult for several reasons, can’t change the past but I can influence the future and tomorrow is the first day of the rest of my life

There is a very bright light at the end of this tunnel, lots to look forward to in 2020!

#527 December, 2019, 09:32 pm.

@OriginalCaruso yes, 2019 was a bit of a difficult year but I know 2020 is going to be an epic year and I am going into the year with a positive mindset and not supporting any negativity in my life at all! I hope your 2020 is filled with brilliant everything!

#627 December, 2019, 09:55 pm.

@ClairabusGryff - Thank you

I start a new contract 6th Jan and await a big decision on 19th Feb which has been 3 1/2 years in the making

Not long now!

I hope 2020 brings you and your family peace and joy

• kiheikidkiheikid Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #928 December, 2019, 10:12 am.

@ClairabusGryff - well said

@hpwulola - i would second the request in OP for the upcoming events calendar, at a minimum for january and ideally for 2-3 months ahead at a time. thank you.

#1028 December, 2019, 10:32 pm.

@OriginalCaruso 50 is going to be a great year!!

i haven’t even attempted a dark fortress yet. During the November CD I tried Forest 3 and failed. I am going to brew some more potions and get through forest 3 tomorrow. That will be my goal. I go through like 10+ potions as I am a solo player. Let me know how Dark 5 goes. And good luck to you!!

#1128 December, 2019, 11:41 pm.

@ClairabusGryff - We met the wonderful @AuroraKadavra today, what a totally charming and lovely person!

We managed Dark 2 through Dark 5 today, Auror, Magizoologist and Professor all at L40, great teamwork 😀

Am hoping to meet up again early in the New Year

#1228 December, 2019, 11:45 pm.

That is awesome that ya’ll were able to do that @OriginalCaruso and @AuroraKadavra ! I am glad y’all were able to successfully conquer the dark levels! Amazing! Congrats and Bravo!

Yall let me know if you coming over the pond to Texas and we can meet up!!

#1328 December, 2019, 11:57 pm.

@ClairabusGryff - No plans to hop across the pond yet, but you never know... would love to come over for MakerFaire again 😀

• AuroraKadavraAuroraKadavra Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1429 December, 2019, 03:27 am.

Oooh @OriginalCaruso any excuse for a trip to Texas & I'm in!!! 😀 that would be wonderful to meet up with you @ClairabusGryff !

Ahh, u really are too kind OC with those comments, i had such a great afternoon, it was fun to play with people that take on the fortressing like their life depends on it & talks to the screen telling the pixie or erkling that if it dodges one more time you're going to get terribly vexed!!! 😂😂

It was just a lovely afternoon with the most lovely people & thoroughly enjoyed a good chat (lots of geat advice about life ) v& successful battling 😀😘🤗

#1529 December, 2019, 03:25 pm.

Simply amazing. Let me know when y’all do the May event at Potter studios and I may see if I can hop on a plane and meet y’all.

• Savagefan3Savagefan3 Posts: 1
    #1629 December, 2019, 08:30 pm.

It says the 19th is the next community day!!

#1729 December, 2019, 11:56 pm.

Where do you see the CD date @Savagefan3 ? I don’t see any dates about anything for January.

#1830 December, 2019, 04:32 pm.

The only change I see is for SOS Assignments which links to Daily tasks

Nothing on Discord...

#1930 December, 2019, 06:31 pm.

Wow there is one day left in the year and I am antsy for our next event. The suspense is killing me. Is it a brilliant event first? Or a legend of Hogwarts type event. I am so excited to find out our calendar for January 2020!!

• LeFayeofAlbionLeFayeofAlbion Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭
    #2031 December, 2019, 02:50 am.

I have the end of the year blue so please ignore me. I can’t believe it’s going to be 2020. I feel so old. This entire decade has been horrid and I don’t know if thing will change.

@ClairabusGryff unfortunately I don’t actually agree with you on special events increasing in difficulty the higher your level. I may be at a decent level, but my body most certainly is not. As it is, I can’t complete the bonus assignments for the Brilliant events and I like the extended time period for the 12 tasks. Sorry. I really don’t want to try to cram past my limit. It’ll only lead to me and many other simply giving up.

On the the other hand, more spell books rewards as you go higher in the challenge ranks might be nice.

#2131 December, 2019, 07:08 am.

I totally understand @LeFayeofAlbion we all have different opinions and preferences! But i do agree that I too wish we could get some more red books in any event quite honestly!!

• Magpie31Magpie31 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #2231 December, 2019, 07:27 am.

I am with @LeFayeofAlbion here. I know a few players back in the UK who are regular players and are high 20s in level, but already unable to complete more than the first two sets of tasks because they are very intensive for casual players, especially those in more rural areas. The bonus assignment is a nice balance - it gives extra to those who need / want it.

The community day info is for Pokemon Go. Last CD was the same for both games, but that was really unpopular, so they could move back to two separate events.

As for other events, who knows? We have just had a full on month with two Brilliant Events and the 12 Tasks. They could decide to give us a very quiet month.

#2331 December, 2019, 08:00 am.

@LeFayeofAlbion - sorry to read your post, I hope 2020 is far better for you

It’s hard to get a balance which suits everyone. One way is to create more SOS assignments which are not time bound therefore providing something which everyone can complete and should appeal to the more casual or otherwise more limited player, this is a simple fix @hpwulola

#2431 December, 2019, 04:07 pm.

I can’t imagine being a game maker as there is simply no way to appease and make everyone happy. For instance the 12 tasks of Christmas. They him gave us 18 days to complete it. Some people still are working on it(your more casual players) and your serious players finished it in under 24 hours. I myself said I was going to take my time during the event so I could enjoy it and basically I completed it in under 24 hours and I didn’t mean to at all. So to each their own. The Brilliant events to me are all fairly simple and easy with proper planning. I typically finish just the event itself in 48-72 hours and then the bonus task in about 24 hours. And I don’t rent cauldrons or doing anything along those lines to complete it quickly. I just take my time and plan things out and really enjoy everything about the events.

#2531 December, 2019, 05:03 pm.

@ClairabusGryff - Great input 😀

I don’t design games but I do design and code commercial software and there are distinct parallels. There is a target audience and set of requirements against which software is developed. For WU most likely there are other criteria such as demographics (age bands, income, urban / rural locations) along with a set of financial targets to hit to fund continued development, we see these as monetising the game by selling inventory and space

Then consider the existing infrastructure, how much of WU code base already exists in Ingress and PokemonGo which can be leveraged - clearly the same PoI database is used for all 3 games

Add some general game functionality ie the rule of 3 where an item can only be upgraded 3 times before maxing out

Support for all 3 games can be the same people too

And you have pretty much the basics for WU

I just scratched the surface...

#2631 December, 2019, 05:49 pm.

Makes perfect sense @OriginalCaruso. This is a “free” game and at the end of the day Niantic has to make money on the game as it is a corporation. All of the developers and coders don’t work for free and so they have to make a game that will make the shareholders happy. I know the game is new and it appears that the developers (through this forum) really do listen to our feed back, likes, and dislikes of the game and have implemented a lot of our suggestions which I find amazing. Since the game is in it’s infancy if you will it does have the potential to become a cash cow and I feel like we who are active on this forum have the ability to help mold and shape the game about the Potterverse which to me is like a dream come true. No one can ever understand the impact HP had on me back in 1999 and continues to have on me daily. It is a sheer place of joy for me so every morning when I wake up and load the game the music in the app instantly puts me in a fantastic mood. So I will continue to provide feedback both good and bad and when there is a bug I will point it out to help other people. Because at the end of the day this game brings not just me a lot of joy but thousands of other people joy as well.

***HINT HINT: I would be so happy if I could get some kind of definitive answer on playing while on the road I would be Uber happy!!

#2731 December, 2019, 06:03 pm.

@ClairabusGryff - Thank you!

I doubt there is a definitive answer available. From what I understand, the phone / tablet app communicates with the WU servers via stateless HTTP connection so is dependent upon a constant connection for the round trip (POST / GET). Any base station switching due to signal variations will be controlled by the handset operating system which probably doesn’t have a hook to tell WU before or after a switch occurs. Also, the handset may be multi tasking ie switching between applications too. In other words, the operating system and WU code are not coupled and each does its own thing

I could be wrong...

• LeFayeofAlbionLeFayeofAlbion Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭
    #2831 December, 2019, 07:01 pm.

Whatever @OriginalCaruso just said there sounds like Greek and Latin to me! 😦

#2931 December, 2019, 07:08 pm.

@LeFayeofAlbion - Sincere apologies, unfortunately Google translate won’t help either!

I hope it helps to know there’s a lot going on behind the scenes which makes troubleshooting very difficult if not impossible particularly for intermittent issues (the worst kind of fault to find)

#3031 December, 2019, 07:32 pm.

Thank you @OriginalCaruso - I completely understand what you are saying and have taken all of that into consideration. Whenever I play (iPhone Max XS) I make sure that the only app I have open is HPWU. My kiddo is religious about that and has finally gotten me into that habit. And I also completely get that this situation may not be something that can be authentically fixed or addressed as there are so many moving parts (no pun intended-maybe). My real question which I may not have articulated very well is that this started on or around December 1. Sure I had it happen from time to time prior to December 1 but it was at speeds over 50mph so I just chalked it up to a speed thing. But what has been happening since Dec 1 doesn’t jive. Like my tank of brains on Saturday. Within 20-30 feet and less then 20 mph I captured it with one cast and a dawdle and strong exstimulo. I thought for sure that one was in the bag. So there is no rhyme or reason. The only way to successfully capture traces for me is when I am stopped. So when I am in motion the only thing I do is collect ingredients now. I have wasted too much spell energy and too many potions. With all of this being said I can understand that it absolutely could be my cell reception so that is what I will chalk it up to. (Even though I live in a large metropolitan area and cell tower heavy area called The Rim in San Antonio).

#3131 December, 2019, 07:45 pm.

@ClairabusGryff - Do you have use of a WiFi dongle or WiFi hotspot? If so, it might rule out cell connectivity as a root cause