UK our own little fanfest/meet-up

AuroraKadavraAuroraKadavra Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
in Community Day #1 latest comment 23 February, 2020, 04:46 pm.

Hi All,

So while i remember, cos ive just mentioned it to @OriginalCaruso and it reminded me...

A few of us chatted a while ago, and I was co-ordinating with @Imaginatio about meeting up at the Harry Potter Studios in London, then said- well it would be cool if we put a shout out to any uk players on the forum to join us, if they are free, and perhaps those of us who live a way aways from London could arrange to stayover & then it would be like our own little fanfest!

I know a few of the USA players are thinking/almost definitely visiting here next year so it would be a great opportunity to meet up with some of the veteran (and new!) forum members from there too. I don't want to tag them in case they aren't wanting their plans posted...but it would be great to plan for late spring/early summer I think?

So it would basically be, whoever wants to come meet up & do the studios tour one day- and we could arrange a fortress type thing for day 2 if people stay over. All the uk players getting together, having a great time & pottering!! That's the sort of thing that makes me 'proper chuffed butties' lol as i keep saying.

If anyone is up for this I'd be grateful if you could comment & if there are enough people to warrant it then I would gladly take the role of arranging accommodation for discount with groups, negotiating prices etc. I work with a lot of charities in my volunteering & organise events & exhibitions so im used to bargaining for reductions & freebies.

We could also discuss a plan for day 2 fortressing & perhaps design a challenge? Ive got access to lots of tech, design whatyamabobbies so could design sheets & whatever needed for our little fanfest.

I'll definitely be meeting up with some players there next year & can't wait!! Finally to be able to say hi & give a hug to the amazing people I've got to know on here 😀

So if anyone else is interested it would be great just to get an idea of how many people would be up for a good old jolly to London for some pottering & going to the Studios!! 😍

Comments

• OriginalCarusoOriginalCaruso Posts: 502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #214 December, 2019, 02:22 pm.

@AuroraKadavra - Thanks for creating this thread, I am up for a meet and can possibly arrange cheap accommodation next to Waterloo station

• Dewin99Dewin99 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #314 December, 2019, 02:47 pm.

Brilliant idea. Count me in.

• MrSciGuyMrSciGuy Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #414 December, 2019, 02:55 pm.

Across the pond, but when I make it over there I’ll have to try to set something up with you all at HP Studio Tour!

• Magpie31Magpie31 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #514 December, 2019, 05:19 pm.

I would be interested if it fitted with my schedule. But I will likely only be in the UK for 4 weeks, if at all next year!

#714 December, 2019, 06:46 pm.

@AuroraKadavra - No promises with the accommodation but I am thinking of The Union Jack club which is a club for serving and ex servicemen who may be able to accommodate us

Trains work best for London, West Coast Mainline from Preston to Euston otherwise it’s congestion charge and parking which is a royal pain

I know London quite well having worked there for over 20 years, tube and bus are far easier than any minibus, am happy to help arrange this

• AuroraKadavraAuroraKadavra Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #814 December, 2019, 07:03 pm.

No problem @OriginalCaruso - nothing solid needs arranging just yet- just bouncing ideas & getting a feel for it.

Ive always visited London using the train- so im sure you're right with that one, was just something occured to me- but on the train we'd all get time to chat & enjoy the journey too.

It's great you are on board thank you! Even if it ends up a handful of us just meeting for the day we will still have a great time!

#914 December, 2019, 07:25 pm.

@AuroraKadavra - I have emailed UJC to check their appetite to host a group of 20-30 largely non-members on a Saturday night Spring / Summer. Let’s see what they say, if UJC have appetite to host us, we will need to fix a date quickly as their accommodation gets booked up well in advance. Not forgetting our friends across the pond who may want to join us and take advantage of booking flights early

#1014 December, 2019, 07:42 pm.

You're an absolute star @OriginalCaruso !! Wow- that is organised! You're right though, there are certain things- even train tickets that will be cheaper the earlier we get them.

Im loving this idea & if we can get quite a few of the uk players to join in- even just to all visit the studios together- then i can squeal & act like a 5yr old in a sweetie shop amongst people that totally understand that reaction 😂

Plus it would really add to that element of friendship and community the forum is promoting for us all to meet. Im very excited!

#1114 December, 2019, 07:48 pm.

@AuroraKadavra - I’ve only asked a question which may fall flat, but if I don’t ask, I won’t get

I used to organise meetings for a group of car enthusiasts (Jaguars if you are interested) usually the venue was quite easy but the accommodation was quite hard to find so tackling the hard part first makes the most sense

#1214 December, 2019, 08:17 pm.

@AuroraKadavra - UJC have responded...

I can book rooms for 4 additional people without anyone else being either a service person or ex service person and being a club member

The way around this is to book a meeting room then all attendees can become temporary members in their own right

Just to put this into context, last year a double room was ~£100 per night, this is central London and represents a significant discounted rate to any local hotel with excellent facilities (bar, restaurant etc)

I’m not pushing this as the only option, but it is a great facility which I used for a few years during the week until recently

• RadicaldavRadicaldav Posts: 76 ✭✭
    #1314 December, 2019, 08:17 pm.

My wife and i from the US would be interested depending on dates and cost. We loved fan fest and talked about how Niantic shoud schedule the next one at the Harry Porter studios. We haven't visit London in years so we are ready. I'll follow the post and look forward to seeing how the planning goes.

• RadicaldavRadicaldav Posts: 76 ✭✭
    #1414 December, 2019, 08:29 pm.

@OriginalCaruso I am a US service veteran. Does that help with UJC?

#1514 December, 2019, 08:32 pm.

@Radicaldav - Possibly, I would need to check...

The challenge with organising any meet is getting people to commit so I usually set up the accommodation for people to book individually then I am not responsible for no-shows and any associated charges

UJC would be a little different due to their membership requirements, but there is always a way :)

#1615 December, 2019, 10:20 am.

@OriginalCaruso ive said it before & il say it again- you're an absolute ⭐!

Thank you so much for checking into that- its great to have as much info as we can as early as poss then we can be organised ready for April/May/June is time for the event? I think thats around when the USA people thinking of coming over. May is usually a pretty good month weather wise here, and April too last year. Its when u get to July and kids school hols it all goes to pot! Lol

@Radicaldav that's great you had thought the very same thing! And if Niantic don't arrange it then I think its a must that we have our own little fanfest at the Studios!!

Ive never been yet, my daughter has been 3 times so ive seen the pics & it looks awesome.

Plus even if Niantic aren't doing anything in uk next year im sure if i beg & plead enough the mods could get the message back to ask them to increase some appropriate extra spawns or some bonus that day for us!

As u say if we dont ask we dont get- so il start looking into things- il have a chat with lola in the prefects area see what she thinks.

Very excited!!! 😀

#1715 December, 2019, 10:28 am.

Ps @OriginalCaruso ooooh wait i forgot about the Jags!!! Omg from a child ive been obsessed with cars- i collected Jaguars were my favourite when 14/15yr old, so ive got little Jaguar xjs 's etc & the glossy brochures etc...i also collected MG's and had a change colour pearlescent one. Id totally forgotten about that until i got my car 6 years ago- an MG TF in the chameleon/pearlescent colour- and my brother as soon as he saw it said 'didn't u have one of those as a kid!?' Lol

I adore Jaguars, they always make me look, spot them a mile off. They are soooo sleek & just beautiful.

Totally off topic- sorry guys- but its Jags!!!!

#1815 December, 2019, 10:42 am.

Given that timing, I'm afraid I'm definitely out. I am a teacher so July / early August is my only window.

However, if I do make it back next year, I will let people know! Someone might be around for some fortressing!

#1915 December, 2019, 11:46 am.

@AuroraKadavra - You are forgiven for loving Jaguars! I have a few, nothing particularly valuable or old but all special to me. If you are up for a small UK meet with others, I’ll bring one along

#2015 December, 2019, 11:56 am.

Ahh no @Magpie31 - to be honest tho, that was just off top of my head thinking around when others have mentioned, but nothing is solid as yet. So let's hope we can all co-ordinate.

Really hoping that @Ginnungagap , @Dogoutlaw @JulieJubz and maybe @Acumen @CVRLuna and some of the other American HPWU veterans can be persuaded to cross the pond next year 😀

But also if all us uk players for sure can co-ord on a day in London next year that would awesome!!

#2115 December, 2019, 12:08 pm.

@OriginalCaruso oooooommmmmggg!!! U cant do that to a girl!!!...u cant just casually drop in 'i have a few jaguars' !!! Woah...wait...what!!? Like wow!! Hold the phone! Lol

That would be great if u are driving to bring one of the Jags! - can't believe that's a sentence i can use! Lol - sooo jealous. One day XJS, F-type, XJ 220 you will be mine!! 😂😂😂

#2215 December, 2019, 12:10 pm.

Think i need to rename this thread 'our own little uk fanfest & the car you'll be arriving in appreciation ' thread 😂

#2315 December, 2019, 12:21 pm.

The calendar from April through to August is all available at the min 😊

#2415 December, 2019, 01:38 pm.

@AuroraKadavra You are right that it will be the best window for most. And for people flying in, it should be slightly cheaper. There is no guarantee I will be in the country anyway. It depends on a few factors, and I am sort of considering New York instead at the moment.

#2515 December, 2019, 02:08 pm.

@AuroraKadavra - X Type Estate 2.2D which is a modified project car, XJR 4.0 modified, goes like a stabbed rat but is off the road right now, New shape XJL 3.0D with massage rear seats, was used as exec limo before I bought it and is my usual drive

Anyway, we should fix a date and book tickets... usually the best way to do this is to propose a few dates and let people decide with the majority choice being the date after which we can sort the rest of the details

• MajikumMajikum Posts: 37 ✭✭
    #2615 December, 2019, 03:45 pm.

I'd love to join. I'm in Devon so would depend on trains but this sounds great fun.

#2715 December, 2019, 03:59 pm.

@Majikum - Great, I’m sure this will come together if we give everyone enough time to prepare

• WerewolfChaserWerewolfChaser Posts: 646 ✭✭✭✭
    #2815 December, 2019, 04:15 pm.

What car we're arriving in huh? I've been looking at campervans and saw an Elgrand camper. We drive one at home so it would be a lovely way to travel but it was expensive. Last time we were there we rented an Enterprise van and threw mattresses in the back.

#2916 December, 2019, 08:31 am.

@WerewolfChaser Love it!!! 😂 I wish i could afford a camper van! Id never be home!! Lol. Just up & down the country constantly. You'd need one of those horns to announce your arrival-the ones that go sorta na na na na na-na na-na ...na na na! 😂😂😂 if that makes sny sense!!

@Majikum that would be great if you can come along! Im just getting some final ideas of dates from people & checking with Lola and then as u say Caruso the best way forward is to propose s few. Esp for train tickets if needed cos they can be expensive near the time.

I think definitely just waiting to see the New Year in, cos at min everyone is gonna b in panic with things for xmas, so it will be better once thats all over to help with those January blues to have a great trip to look at & be making provisional bookings.

I just wanted to get the idea out while i remembered cos id been chat about it a while 😊

#3016 December, 2019, 08:59 am.

@AuroraKadavra - Colonel Bogey Air Horns is what you are looking for 😀

#3116 December, 2019, 09:03 am.

@OriginalCaruso that just made me actually lol!! 😂😂😂 first at the name but also at the fact its typical of me that i had no idea what they are called & didnt think to googĺe it instead of typing out all the na na's 😂😂😂

Oh my days! What am i like!! Goes off with morning coffee shaking head at myself & giggling!