The dreaded nerfing of level 5 runestones

WerewolfChaserWerewolfChaser Posts: 643 ✭✭✭✭
in Feature Requests #1 latest comment 14 January, 2020, 10:58 am.

I have been noticing a significant drop. Tonight someone in the Melbourne group posted asking if anyone else thinks they have been nerfed.

As most would be aware I'm pretty big about keeping stats. I can unfortunately confirm a significant nerf to level 5 runestone drops.

My stats before gifting was introduced:

Stats since gifting:

Keep in mind that these figures do not include gifted runestones. I am max rank in ALL families. (Except the event currently in progress).

Perhaps @HPWULola or @HPWUrobert can provide some insight to the nerf?

Tagged:

Comments

• WerewolfChaserWerewolfChaser Posts: 643 ✭✭✭✭
    #206 December, 2019, 04:21 pm.

If anyone is interested here are my gifted runestones. I have also earnt 1 red book and 6 health potions from runestone gifts.

• AcumenAcumen Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #306 December, 2019, 04:34 pm.

I've noticed this too. Before, once you maxed out the rank on any particular exploration family, Level 5 runestones seemed pretty common any time you'd level up again. Now, not so much. I hadn't been keeping close track though, so I wasn't sure if I was just imagining it.

#406 December, 2019, 04:37 pm.

I had been thinking of posting about it for a few days but seeing the other post made me do it. I don't want people to think they're going mad. It is a significant nerf.

• MtPolluxMtPollux Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #506 December, 2019, 05:13 pm.

@WerewolfChaser great data as always. One change that I would suggest:

Event runes never have an option to be level 5, so including those with the data skews your percentages. Using your data minus the event runes, it looks like you got level 5 runes 30.4% of the time before gifting, and 14.9% of the time after gifting. It's a less extreme change, but apparently the chance of a level 5 rune has still been cut in half.

Thanks for bringing this up. I really hadn't been paying attention to which stones I was getting so I had missed the change completely.

• ClairabusGryffClairabusGryff Posts: 848 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #606 December, 2019, 05:15 pm.

I have noticed the same thing but haven't kept track like you have which is awesome! Thank you for doing that though. I hope that the HPU team fixes this "nerfing" as once you go up levels the need for more level 5 runes becomes much more important. So please release the 5's please!!

• DogoutlawDogoutlaw Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #707 December, 2019, 12:15 am.

I had noticed a lack of 5's as well, but since I wasn't keeping track, I wasn't sure. Or maybe it was just a bad streak. Thanks for your report with numbers! I also ran the percentages without the event runestones. The 4's doubled in percentage, but the 5's halved... :( Hoping this was an unintended consequence of the gifting feature and NOT intentional. Even though we may be receiving more runestones per day, we aren't receiving 5's through the gifts as far as I know. So the drop rates of 5's should not have changed.

#807 December, 2019, 01:58 am.

@MtPollux I am aware that event runestones are always level 1. I have them included so I can see my overall tally.

I also record which level stones I use in fortresses so I know at any point how many runestones I have and even broken that down to how much challenge xp I can earn and the amount of red books available to me if I go on a massive fortress grind. Calculations are based on max challenge rank, solo fortress Tower IV non sponsored (we don't have any in the country) with no event bonus active.

You can see I need 122 red books and have enough runes for approx 45 red books.

Bear in mind I was screwed with the beta testing. I used a LOT of red books for skills that now require green books, hence I'm sitting on 107 green books but desperate for red. I made it to two of the bottom tier training levels before green books were in introduced. Those alone cost me 72 red books. I want them back dammit!

• HPWUrobertHPWUrobert Posts: 473 admin
    #909 December, 2019, 07:27 pm.

@WerewolfChaser we didn't make any changes as far as I'm aware. Is your first table data of all runestones earned from when you began playing up until gifting went live?

Keep in mind that your sample sizes are completely different and will cause bias with how the data is interpreted.

#1013 December, 2019, 06:54 am.

I have collated all my runestones since I started recording on 22 October.

I have highlighted some of the higher levels but if you take a look you will see the total percentage has been dropping. There has certainly been a change made or my account has been flagged to have the worst RPG ever.

Speaking of bad RPG I would like to draw your attention to dragons. Is there any reason for the difficulty level and the xp being half for both the Welsh Green and the Opaleye (my regional). On day of the dragons I noticed no difference in difficulty between the Opaleye and the Chinese Fireball.

Discussions at the time had us thinking that our encounters would be more frequent than the Fireball and the American counterpart.

If you haven't noticed yet I tend to keep a LOT of stats. I can tell you the last dragon I encountered was on 30 September. Some might say I need to play more but since I saw that lonely dragon I have returned 11,342 foundables. Yes, I play a lot.

This is really starting to hit me the unfairness within the game. We have never had an event (including Pogo) and no sponsored inns.

We were very fortunate about a week ago in finally getting a sponsored gym. Yes 1 sponsored inn for quite a large country. Fortunately it's in my local capital.

Back to my runestone stats I'll post the link so you can see my runestone stats in full.

I've linked it as editable so you may tinker with any of the settings. It's a copy of the original.

Hi,

Here's the link to the file:

https://1drv.ms/x/s!ArggTvZSmGYGkh60--ddQUUvWLAc

Shared from Excel for Android

https://office.com/getexcel

#1113 December, 2019, 06:59 am.

Sorry @HPWUrobert I forgot to tag you.

I realised leaving the spreadsheet editable allows others to edit.

Here's a link to an uneditable version.

Hi,

Here's the link to the file:

https://1drv.ms/x/s!ArggTvZSmGYGkhxdTb_rOnArJXW4

Shared from Excel for Android

https://office.com/getexcel

#1215 December, 2019, 07:55 am.

RNG?

#1315 December, 2019, 08:23 am.

Oh yes, I'm old, of course I meant RNG.

#1418 December, 2019, 03:19 am.

@HPWUrobert Are you saying that the RNG just hates me and others have much better luck?

Speaking of dragons, I almost fell off my scooter today when I spotted one. It was my 12,064th catch since the only one I've seen since Day of the Dragons.

#1519 December, 2019, 08:56 pm.

I just wanted to clarify that you meant to say RNG and not Role Playing Games. In regards to averages, I'm curoius to see each runestone level average once the sample sizes are similar.

#1627 December, 2019, 06:49 am.

@HPWUrobert How about a week ago monthly chart showing level 5 runestone drops?

I'm new to charts so please forgive any little problem such as titles. Using the online excel.

#1727 December, 2019, 04:42 pm.

Please excuse additional words and predictive text. I only access the forum on my phone. My pc gets turned on every few months and is too much hassle.

#1827 December, 2019, 05:46 pm.

@WerewolfChaser that graph shows everything you need to see, from over 13% to a little over 6%. Those are pretty strong percentages. Thank you for doing this.

edited December 2019 #1927 December, 2019, 05:51 pm.

@ClairabusGryff I wish I didn't have to do this but I will speak up when there's a change without informing us. I hope you just did a typo, it's gone from just over 18% to just over 6%. @HPWUrobert said the devs hadn't made any change. I would strongly dispute that. Even with RNG that is a huge drop in the percentage.

Btw, I have been to San Antonio, albeit many years ago. I was on a plane to Dallas I think it was and we stopped at San Antonio and I asked the flight attendant if I could disembark. They had to get my bag from the hold but they did it for me.

#2027 December, 2019, 06:14 pm.

Oh yes, sorry for the typo @WerewolfChaser . Your stats show that some type of change has occurred, in fact a 66% drop if level 5 rune drops, that is a ENORMOUS change. I am sure you have taken into consideration the runestone gifts are typically always a level 1-3 so that would mess with your metrics right? And of course the stats started dropping at the beginning of October before gifting came out so there's that.

San Antonio is awesome, I do love being a Texan. On Christmas it was 70 degrees so awesome weather...where do you live now?

#2128 December, 2019, 01:01 am.

@ClairabusGryff These stats exclude gifted runes. I have separate stats for gifts.

I'm in Melbourne, Australia. We also had a hot Christmas. Last week we had the country's December day (all the country). Then my state had the hottest day ever recorded (122 in your language).

edited December 2019 #2228 December, 2019, 01:14 am.

For reference here are my gifted runes.

Gifted runes have a higher chance of higher level runes for extravagant runestones so I will add that I have received two.

#2328 December, 2019, 01:38 am.

@WerewolfChaser wait what 122 Fahrenheit? What the cluck? I spent a US summer there which was y’all’s winter in Adelaide then Sydney then Auckland and loved it down under. Trying to get back there with my teenage daughter. I love me some rugby and koalas!!

Thank you for clarifying the gifts. I assumed they weren’t included in the nerfing as you say cuz you seem smarter then the average bear or should I say wolf? Hehehehe 🐺 🐻

#2428 December, 2019, 02:33 am.

Yes, 122 Fahrenheit. I don't handle the heat too well so some days my play is limited.

On Australia's hottest December day on record I went to the local shopping plaza. Power went out and they closed for the day.

I decided to wait until night to avoid further heat. The power went out in our whole area. It was kind of creepy so I went home to my own blackout.

Our PM (and your Pres) don't believe global warming is a thing? Sheesh

NSW has major bushfires atm. We have had them in other states too but NSW is the worst, out of control fires. Lots of houses and lives lost. Our PM made a comment that it won't affect the cricket and went to Hawaii for a holiday. The public weren't even advised that his deputy had stepped up and it was the media that were asking where he was as nobody knew we were leaderless.

#2528 December, 2019, 04:02 am.

Wow that was a crappy thing for your PM to do -leave their country unattended during a natural disaster. Sounds familiar on this side of the world. 🤣🤣🤣

I started playing HPWU in June and holly hades it was so hot this summer. I remember one of the community days being out from 11am to 2pm I think I sweat at least a liter or two of water out. It was miserable. Our weather here in Texas for the last CD was beautiful. Stunning actually!

#2628 December, 2019, 05:40 am.

Lovely. Our CD's will get increasingly hotter and most will head inside shopping complexes.

I remember when Niantic changed the CD hours to 4-7pm so you could avoid the heat up north. Of course that didn't translate well to the southern hemisphere where half the CD was actually night. I would call them community nights. ;)

#2728 December, 2019, 05:48 am.

We've had some smoke from the NSW bushfires but here's the view in Sydney. Poor buggers, they can't see the other side of the road.

Australia and NZ have the highest rate of skin cancer in the world, double the US figure. I've recently had one removed so now I'm more of a late afternoon/evening player. Except for full moon of course when I go completely nocturnal. I am a night owl any away, when I worked I spent half my life on night shift. Much more preferable than daytime imho.

• kiheikidkiheikid Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #2812 January, 2020, 02:08 am.

first time in a long, long time, but today i ranked up in MG&S after catching a quidditch keeper ron and received a level 5 runestone

i wonder whether the runestone level rewarded upon ranking up is dependent on the action whose family xp immediately triggers the ranking up. for example, if i rank up based on returning a very low level foundable, would my rank up rewarded runestone be just a level 1 or 2 ?

• Magpie31Magpie31 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #2912 January, 2020, 02:51 am.

Nah. I returned a Quidditch Keeper Ron and got a Level 2 Runestone, so I really think it is random.

• kiheikidkiheikid Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #3012 January, 2020, 10:47 am.

shoots, there goes that theory. thanks @Magpie31

• Magpie31Magpie31 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #3112 January, 2020, 12:23 pm.

@kiheikid If it were that simple, we would all be waiting for severe and emergency threats before levelling up!