5 Ways to Get the Most out of Social Gifting in Harry Potter: Wizards Unite

HPWULolaHPWULola Posts: 385 admin
edited November 21 in Gifts #1 latest comment 06 December, 2019, 06:11 am.

We’re super excited to introduce a new feature to Harry Potter: Wizards Unite—Social Gifting! Players can now pick up Gifts from Inns, Greenhouses, and Fortresses which contain Spell Energy, Ingredients, and Runestones, respectively. In addition, all Gifts include Wizarding XP and even may contain special bonuses! Here are 5 ways players can make the most of Social Gifting. 🎁

1. Make Lots of Friends!

The more friends you have, the more Gifts you can send and receive. Plus, now you can link your Wizards Unite account to Facebook and add friends on there. You can also head to the Friend Codes thread on the Community to find friends here!

2. Send and Open as many Gifts as Possible

Show your fellow Witches and Wizards your love by spoiling them with Gifts! Once you’ve made lots of friends, start sending them Gifts so they send you Gifts in return. 😉

Players can open up to 10 Gifts per day, and some Gifts grant extra Wizarding XP or include special bonus items, like Potions! Make sure to open as many Gifts as you can each day to maximize your chances of reaping rewards, and tell your friends to keep an eye out for bonus items.

3. Visit Lots of Locations

More locations = more Gifts! Players can collect up to 100 Gifts per day, but keep in mind that you can only store up to 30 Gifts. So walk around, stock up, and send Gifts to friends daily!

4. Be Strategic

Let your friends know when you’re running low on Spell Energy or about to tackle a Wizarding Fortress, so they can send you a Gift that will help you out! Remember that Gifts are color-coded to represent what’s inside:

• 🔮Yellow Gift Boxes collected from Fortresses contain Runestones.
  • ⚡️Blue Gift Boxes collected from Inns contain Spell Energy.
  • 🌿Green Gift Boxes collected from Greenhouses contain Potion ingredients.

5. Show Off!

Make your friends jealous by collecting gifts from all the awesome places you visit! Friends receiving your gifts see pictures of the locations where you collected your gifts, so consider them virtual postcards that let you share your travels with other players.

I grabbed this Gift from the San Francisco Ferry Building earlier today. Players, we’d love to see the gifts you pick up. Share screenshots on this thread! Head to the new Gift subcategory in the forum to keep this discussion going or thank your fellow players for sending you Gifts! 🎁

Tagged:

Comments

• kiheikidkiheikid Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭
    #322 November, 2019, 02:01 am.

very grateful to @WerewolfChaser and many others ... i wish i had quality gifties with which to give as well

by the way, i hope werribee is not too close to all those massive wildfires in australia ... our thoughts and prayers go out that the good folks (and koalas too) in Oz stay safe from those fires

• DeravethDeraveth Posts: 5 ✭✭
    #422 November, 2019, 02:19 am.

This is how I'm going to tell my friends which gift I would prefer by using the stickers on my portrait. Obviously I appreciate whatever they can send. I think it's the most logical representation for Spell energy, ingredients and runestones. What do you think?

Spell energy

Ingredients

Use your favourite foundable for runestones. Unless they add runestone stickers!

• BormacskaBormacska Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    #522 November, 2019, 03:28 am.

It would be a great idea if we could actually see images of our friends. As of right now we still only see this:

edited November 22 #622 November, 2019, 03:36 am.

😭😭😭

Thank you Bormacska for pointing that out. Hopefully it's something that could be added.🤞

edited November 22 #722 November, 2019, 05:04 am.

The next best option would be to arrange your titles in order of preference.

That we can see on our friends Ministry ID!!

• OriginalCarusoOriginalCaruso Posts: 142 ✭✭✭
    #1223 November, 2019, 02:42 pm.

@AuroraKadavra - I have a Barruffio kit ready to send you as soon as I see you are ready

• AcumenAcumen Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1323 November, 2019, 06:08 pm.

I've been delighted to see all the images, too! Makes my travel bug flare up and start itching. I've noticed the same thing with quotas. I'm unable to open any more gifts today, and can't send new gifts to anyone on my friends list at the moment because they've obviously hit their max as well and already have an unopened gift from me waiting in their queue. On the upside, I suppose that might give me a chance to try and round up some essential or extravagant gifts to send. I appreciate receiving the basic gifts as much as any other, and I'm sure everyone else feels the same way, but it sure is fun when you get to send out the BIG ones.

Thanks for the image reminder @AuroraKadavra! I need to go back to Blue Crane Bakery today for some more fortress challenges, and more cookies!

• Dewin99Dewin99 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    #1524 November, 2019, 08:45 am.

It would be great if we could see what’s in the gift before we send them. For example, I sent an ‘Essential Ingredient gift’, but that could contain virtually anything. I’d much rather know if I’m sending a Dragon Claw or an Erumpent Horn etc.

Overall, this is a brilliant new feature. A big thank you to the HPWU Team, and all the kind people who have donated gifts!

• AuroraKadavraAuroraKadavra Posts: 722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 24 #1624 November, 2019, 10:06 am.

I was thinking the same @Dewin99 , i was send an essential ingredient, and i know what some friends are always running short of, so if i could see the contents id be able to gift accordingly. When it was first launched i kept tapping the box thinking it wont let me see!! Lol. Then realised that we arent allowed to see.

Cos its not like we would do anything with the knowledge except gift our friends the things they need.

Its still fantastic, ive opened all my 10 today already!! I tried to wait in case some very kind soul sent me an extravagant one, but i just can't lol- gotta open them! 😂

Is anyone else keeping notes? I know that I do have a bit of a penchant for data lol. But ive been keep notes just to make sure i send any extravagant ones to friends in turn, so that no one misses out on that one, and a little note next to a name if I know they prefer a certain type of gift. And a note of each other type of gift i give...and a note on the type of gift ive got...and notes on the types i need.. and......😂😂😂

Edited cos a word was starred out that again makes it look bad when i was just using a very british saying for oh well, that's how it goes...hey 😂 made me chuckle with the bots edit anyway

• OriginalCarusoOriginalCaruso Posts: 142 ✭✭✭
    #1724 November, 2019, 02:10 pm.

I have sent and received to / from everyone in my friends list, lovely to see the different places people play

I have a personal preference for sending Essential / Exceptional gifts to those friends whom I interact with here - not wishing to be exclusive and like everyone else I have a limited supply of these gifts

• Minervina19Minervina19 Posts: 29 ✭✭
    #1924 November, 2019, 04:47 pm.

This is a great new feature. I'm definitely motivated to make more friends now, which is great. Its nice seeing where people are from or where they are traveling. Thanks for the new feature!

• PunkyfinsPunkyfins Posts: 56 ✭✭
    edited November 24 #2024 November, 2019, 06:11 pm.

Is there an etiquette? I do regift, but I dont always have lavish gifts to send. I tend to regift energy to people who send energy. The ingredient gifts seem to be the least interesting. What would people like to be gifted? (Apart from the lavish rarer ones of which the extravagant runestone might be the most desirable)...

P.s. people in this thread who'd like gifts from The Netherlands you can add me 8910 8978 4624 and I'll try and send gifts to as many of you as I can, as often as I can.

• LeFayeofAlbionLeFayeofAlbion Posts: 372 ✭✭✭✭
    #2224 November, 2019, 09:58 pm.

I feel bad for sending someone just a spell energy gift which probably has only like 2 energy, but inns are what I have access to the most. I can’t walk all the way to the closest fortress everyday, even to finish achievements. 🙁 I love gifting and I want to send awesome gifts to people!

• LeFayeofAlbionLeFayeofAlbion Posts: 372 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 24 #2324 November, 2019, 10:03 pm.

@Dewin99 OMG??!!!!? Can we be friends? I want gifts from Merlin! ( as you can probably tell from my name, huge Arthurian legends and myths fan!) pretty please?

• PunkyfinsPunkyfins Posts: 56 ✭✭
    #2424 November, 2019, 10:08 pm.

Thank you @MtPollux . I hope people will still like the postcards. :)

• MrSciGuyMrSciGuy Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
    #2625 November, 2019, 12:43 am.

@LeFayeofAlbion What’s your friend code?

• ClairabusGryffClairabusGryff Posts: 17 ✭✭
    #2725 November, 2019, 02:54 am.

I am a level 33 Mazioologist and need approximately 245 red spell books to complete my lessons tree so I would love any Extravagant Rune Stone gifts but am grateful for anything I receive. My rule of thumb for sending gifts is to send that same kind of gift a fellow player sent me.

I have 200 friends and today I tried to hit the 100 gifts but only got to 80. But the bottleneck issue of having 160 gifts to open (at this current moment) is slowing down the exchange rates. I hope the HPWU team will rethink this very low maximum of gifts we can open on a daily basis. I would suggest upping it to 30 gifts a day that we can open. If you split up the types of gifts we have access to if we opened 10 of the each gifts that would give us 750 Wizarding XP, 10 ingredients, and 10 rune stones. So I think it is do-able.

Also, what is everyone’s rule of thumb for friends that don’t send a gift to you but are actively playing? I am giving them 48 hours and then deleting them. I send them a gift and if there is no reciprocation within 48 hours then I am cutting them from my friends list. I have so many people in my queue to accept as friends so I feel like they are taking a spot to make this a reciprocating event.

Also something odd I noticed today after I had accumulated and sent around 50 gifts, not every inn or greenhouse gave out gifts. Today I grinded in a sponsored fortress to the tune of like 30 battles ( gotta get those darned red spell books) and for those I got a gift each time but not all the inns or greenhouses gave gifts. I would have hit my goal of 100 today for sure if that hadn’t happened Anyone else see this?

• kiheikidkiheikid Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭
    edited November 25 #2825 November, 2019, 03:40 am.

@ClairabusGryff - yes, fortresses give out giftbox 100% of the time if you succeed in the wizarding challenge. but visits to inns snd greenhouses do not give out giftboxes 100% of the yime. WU-tuber James Wright aka @LekeyVelder claims that inns and greenhoused return giftboxes at rate of about 50% of the time, based on his group research project’s early findings. i would call that generous ... today, i visited inns 4 times and got no spell energy giftboxes at all, and i visited greenhouses 4 times and got only 1 ingredient giftbox .., that is 1 out of 8 (or 12.5%).

you should manage your friends list however you see fit.

i believe other folks are struggling as i have struggled, including forgetting the initial group of giftgivers whose giftboxes i opened so quickly in succession that i had not thought to write down or keep track of who gave me what. and with a daily limit of 10 giftboxes, i am sure many giftboxes are just going to sit in my friends area, unopened, for many days as i struggle to manage the list, on the one hand, and struggle to gather enough giftboxes of my own to give out, on the other end. that is just me.

• FritLyreleafFritLyreleaf Posts: 36 ✭✭
    #2925 November, 2019, 05:25 am.

@kiheikid It's not just you. I borrowed a bike so I could cycle to 2 other towns, as the one where I'm staying only has a fortress, so I was in dire need of SE for myself and gifts other than runestones. It only netted me a handful of gifts, and I cycled that route twice to try and get more, but no such luck.

Then 7 of the gifts I got from the local fortress couldn't even be sent out, and even disappeared from my gift queue, all that time, work and SE to get gifts, gone :(

@ClairabusGryff

The friends who I was able to ask directy about gift preferences are the same as me in that regard, they tend to need SE the most, runestones are nice if SE isn't available, ingredients meh but the 25 exp is still nice. I got one gift though that was called a Baruffio's ingredient gift. I wish I could have passed that on to a friend who never has enough of the right ingredients. Too bad we can't send owls or something to eachother in app to see who could use what the most. I am sending out mostly runestones, but SE is always a priority for someone mostly stuck in rural towns, especially now I need to battle more if I want to send out gifts on a day I can't borrow a bike and the fortress is all that's available.

I love seeing where the gifts come from. Some lovely looking places. One was a photo of an entrance to a nature reserve, that path wss so inviting... others with historical buildings or plaques, yet others of things more ordinary yet also more special because of the glimpse into another culture. It makes me want to get out and collect more diverse gifts asap :)

• ClairabusGryffClairabusGryff Posts: 17 ✭✭
    #3025 November, 2019, 01:22 pm.

@FritLyreleaf I AGREE 100% with you. I adore opening the gifts and seeing where they come from. I live in San Antonio, Texas and have traveled the world extensively but my list of places I want to go to is so very long so opening the gifts and seeing where they are from is more entertaining to me then the gift itself. 😁

@kiheikid thank you for that information! I think I run about 75% in and greenhouse ratio so I will take that. And let me know if you need another friend, happy to send you whatever you would like and you too @FritLyreleaf !!

I do hope they change the amount of gifts we can open soon. This morning I woke up to 179 gifts so when I open my 10 I will be down to 169 and my friends are getting to the same point as I am so in a few days I will reach the point where I won’t be able to send but a handful of gifts a day. 😢😢😢

• AcumenAcumen Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #3125 November, 2019, 04:43 pm.

I've scrubbed my friends list down to a few dozen players, and it's still too much for me to keep track of. Still, I try to rotate who I send rare gifts to so everyone gets some extra love occasionally. I mostly send out runestones, but I'll also send energy or ingredient gifts if I collect any from a cool spot. We all like seeing the pictures, so I try to gather gifts from interesting locations around town.