gifting feedback & questions

kiheikidkiheikid Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭✭
in Feature Requests #1 latest comment 16 January, 2020, 09:49 am.

starting a new feedback thread at @HPWULola ’s excellent suggestion, so folks can find this more easily than among all the announcements

Comments

• Dewin99Dewin99 Posts: 319 ✭✭✭✭
    #221 November, 2019, 10:46 pm.

Thanks @MrSciGuy I can’t send you another until you open my last one!

• kiheikidkiheikid Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭✭
    #422 November, 2019, 02:27 am.

my wife mbs808 and i would like to thank very much each and every person who has thusfar so generously sent us gifts and shared your aloha. we hope to send gifts and share our aloha with all of you too, even if not right away.

at this time, i think we are still trying to figure out:

(1) how to keep track of who has sent what;

(2) how to gather enough new gifts to send out to everyone;

(3) how to even keep up, because we can only open 10 giftboxes per day and already we are receiving way more than 10 giftboxes in a single day (maybe the pace will slow down after this “honeymoon” phase following debut of gift-giving feature ... who knows? but it is a nice “problem” to have);

(4) how to efficiently but earnestly express our gratitude, because responding with individual thank you notes to each and every person would require more free time to write and leave no time left to actually play HPWU ... hmmm 🤔

so, for now, a big MAHALO from the two of us:

#522 November, 2019, 03:53 am.

and a big MAHALO too, to @HPWUTeam for understanding the difficulty, faced by players generally but especially those of us in rural areas without easy access to lots of inns and greenhouses, of getting sufficient spell energy to play this game comfortably ... the introduction of spell energy giftboxes is definitely a (positive) game-changer for us, almost like manna from heaven.

#622 November, 2019, 04:23 pm.
    #722 November, 2019, 06:24 pm.

@HPWUTeam by the way, please can we have a running counter installed on # of gifts received from each friend and # of gifts sent to each friend — that will help us with managing our giftboxes

thank you

• ElisaWilsonElisaWilson Posts: 20 ✭✭
    #823 November, 2019, 04:28 pm.

I have a lot of new friends in my list because of the tasks in the last brilliant event. Unfortunately, I don't know any of them personally but from the gifts I receive I see that they are spread from Canada to South Korea, which is pretty cool. :)

To be honest, after the announcement I was sceptical about the whole idea (I've never played PoGo, so I had no comparison), but getting a small glimpse from different parts of the world is quite cool!

The only thing that bothers me for now is the fact that it's hard to follow who send me what type of gift. Yesterday for example I opened one without having my whole attention on the screen and after the box was gone I realized I wasn't sure anymore who the gifter was. I took an educated guess and sent someone a gift back, but because of the lack of any other way of communication, I'll never know if it was the right person. My suggestion would be to have a small chronology, where one can see the last 10 opened gifts by name of the sender and type of the gift. That way even if one wasn't paying that much attention in the moment, they can go and check it out later. This would also allow to return a gift at a later point, when one has the correct type or any gifts at all.

Question to the other players: how do you decide what type of gift to send back to people with who you don't have any other way of communication? For now I've tried to give back the same type as the one I received, but I don't know if this is the best strategy.

• SpondeeSpondee Posts: 27 ✭✭
    #1023 November, 2019, 06:11 pm.

I love the gifting idea--I love that we give things and get things, I love the extra XP for doing so, I love seeing where my friends are Pottering. Improvements I would make:

1.) Getting fewer gifts than we can give means I have unopened gifts sitting for potentially days if I don't remember whose gifts I accessed most recently. This limit really needs to be raised (and why not to the level of what we can gift--so we can give up to 30 and receive up to 3o each day?)

2.) Having to scroll through the entire friend's list (and it's a cumbersome process on android) takes a long time. It would be nice if gifters sorted to the top. It would also be nice if we could sort by name so people are easier to find, but at least not having to scroll so much for gifts would be a start.

3.) I love the idea I saw upthread (or on the original thread) about gift stats so we know who sent what, how often, etc..

4.) I also love the thank you note idea. But instead of a note where we have to write it, it could be as simple as a "send gift" button but "send note" for notes, and we could send one of a few designs. Or maybe there could even be other types of notes than "thank you" to send ("Hi", "Good luck Fortressing", cute niffler/kneazle/owk notes or something, etc.), and it could make the in-game activity more social.

• RelaxLahRelaxLah Posts: 52 ✭✭
    #1125 November, 2019, 01:51 am.

Support the suggestion of increasing the number of gifts we can open each day.

200 friends, but only open 10 per day? Everyday have to go through the same list one by one to determine which one to open. Hope to have some means to help the selection.

#1225 November, 2019, 03:31 am.

i am starting to lose hope of ever catching up, because of the daily limit of only 10 giftboxes to open, while way more giftboxes come in every day

meanwhile, unless we are grrrrinding at fortresses (which are guaranteed to generate a runestone giftbox for us to send out), there is no guarantee of getting ingredient giftboxes when we visit greenhouses, or of getting spell energy giftboxes when we visit inns, so it is getting difficult also to gather sufficient giftboxes every day with which to send out to friends

gifting is a good concept but flawed as to operating details

• Minna4Minna4 Posts: 1 ✭✭
    #1325 November, 2019, 03:48 pm.

I just received Potent Exstimulo POTION as a gift!

• RelaxLahRelaxLah Posts: 52 ✭✭
    edited November 2019 #1427 November, 2019, 02:34 pm.

Since we can only open 10 gifts per day, how about giving us an option to delete received gifts that we do not want.

Quite boring to have to going through the same list of gifts each time to select which to opèn.

Post edited by RelaxLah on
  • BlackElderBlackElder Posts: 3 ✭✭
    #1528 November, 2019, 03:35 pm.

I love the gift feature.

However, there should be no restriction on the number we are allowed to open per day. Leave the other restrictions, but allow us to open all that we receive in a 24 hour period.

• Magpie31Magpie31 Posts: 243 ✭✭✭
    #1628 November, 2019, 11:31 pm.

Or, instead of deleting unwanted gifts (not that I have this problem with only 5 friends), could extras be placed in the inventory so they could become gifts to send?

For example, I know that @kiheikid needs spell energy, so I try to prioritise him for extravagant spell energy gifts, then anything else after that. As much as I like gifts, I don't need them, and it is hard for me to collect gifts at the moment with a broken foot. By introducing regifting, it would let those of us in target rich areas keep paying it forward, especially if limits were raised.

#1829 November, 2019, 01:56 am.

@Magpie31 - you are most kind with spell energy gifts, but you also should not go out of your way to collect giftboxed in lighy of your current mobility ... big mahalo for thinking of me !

• AuroraKadavraAuroraKadavra Posts: 903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1929 November, 2019, 02:05 am.

Thank you @MrSciGuy for reminding me of another thing i hadn't said on here is about the wonderful puctures we get to see from around the world!!

Some interesting landmarks and also beautiful sculptures, murals and i love the way the can range from the mundane just company logo for a sponsored fortress to the whacky and weird in some of the shots. That's something more personal that we weren't able to get a feel for with friends before- so i am totally loving seeing those!

It's making me want to go to more exciting places than the usual run of 6 inns i do which havent really got great pictures unfortunately! Lol.

#2029 November, 2019, 02:19 am.

@kiheikid I do have an inn in the carpark of my neighbouring building that I try to stop at daily. Otherwise, it is just when I am out in a taxi. Here in Thailand, every building has a shrine and nearly every shrine is a POI, so we have crazy amounts of inns and fortresses etc. I was shocked when I was back in the UK this summer and saw how little there was, even in an urban environment (relatively speaking, of course).

So you are very welcome, and rest assured, I am not going out of my way at the moment, just picking up what I pass! I am glad it is helping you.

#2129 November, 2019, 05:25 am.

apologies to HPWU friends, i was not able to go pottering out and about today due to american thanksgiving holiday ... currently slowly emerging from food coma. will need to walk extra on friday, and hope to pick up giftboxes then.

#2229 November, 2019, 08:46 am.

@kiheikid I am just going home from post office now (in a taxi, obviously). This is how it looks, and this is very typical in my city.

#2329 November, 2019, 09:51 am.

oh golly !!

hard for me to even imagine swimming in spell energy like that

#2429 November, 2019, 01:43 pm.

@Magpie31 oh...my...goodness!!! I have never seen anything like that! Ever!! Just wow!! And the pics I've seen of the Simon malls look awesome too.

Seriously my house is a deadzone! And the only place looking even half as good as that is town centre- but theres no comparison!

I want to emigrate!! Now!!!!! 😂 seriously sirius tho! I do!!

#2529 November, 2019, 02:06 pm.

The left one is near my house- thats just a big main road the greenhouse is on & theres 3 inns up there total!!

2nd is town centre showing the only sponsored fortress we have & the surrounding are is filled with shops/bars/restaurants etc- and i thought it was quite busy with poi's till i saw your pic 😂 gutted!

#2629 November, 2019, 04:03 pm.

@AuroraKadavra That is what it was like in the UK this summer, so it felt kind of odd. I live in a residential street, about 1km away fron the main thoroughfare. It is a lot quieter here - I have an inn that I can access from the car park, a greenhouse on the other side, then another 2 inns and a fortress about 3 mins walk away. That feels like a dead zone to me, but it is still similar to your town centre!

When my foot isn't broken, I have a lovely little walk I do. It is about 1.5km there and back, so quite short, but takes me through the university campus with loads of inns, greenhouses and fortresses, to a coffee shop where I can access 4 inns and 2 greenhouses. I usually stop at fortresses on the way there and the way back. If we had a fortress there too, I would possibly sit and grind for books.

I'm spoiled and I know it. I also know I probably wouldn't keep up with the game if I didn't live somewhere like this. I guess I'm actually quite a casual player, really. I am just level 32 because I live in such a rich environment.

edited November 2019 #2730 November, 2019, 08:16 am.

@Magpie31 dya kno what? Actually, with how assicted i am to this game, when u put it like that its probably just aswel I don't live in a place like u cos i would never be off my phone!! 😂

The temptation to be playing would be too great & I'd just be doing a trip 'round the nlock' every half hour! Lol. So maybe the fact it's at least a 5kn walk for me to access a few inns for eneegy and guftts is a good thing.

But still- wow! Your pic does look awesome & i cant help but be jealous 😂

#2830 November, 2019, 08:30 am.

currently have 84 friends, of whom 56 have sent me giftboxes not yet opened

come midnight, i can start opening again

at max 10 giftboxes that can be opened per day, i believe i am not going to ever catch up

edited November 2019 #2930 November, 2019, 08:33 am.

@AuroraKadavra Trust me, I understand. It is a punch to the gut every time I see that leaping toadstools are about to drop at the greenhouse 3 mins from my classroom.... But I'm teaching!

This is the screenshot I just took, sat in my living room. As you can see, it is a lot quieter back here, but it is still quite busy.

And honestly, if anyone needs spell energy gifts etc, my friend code is 1618 8124 8681 At the moment, I have more gifts than I can give away, and I am discarding them in case I get extravagant ones. I can't promise to keep that up, given that I have a broken foot so am nit leaving the house much atm, but I will give where I can. I totally understand I am spoiled... And somehow still run out of spell energy at times. Maybe I need to increase my capacity!

edited November 2019 #3030 November, 2019, 08:50 am.

@Magpie31

and here’s my app-view while i sit in my living room ...

#3130 November, 2019, 08:52 am.

@Magpie31 oh that would be a nightmare! I was a teacher- high scool English when i was working & i wouldnt have been able to look! Lol! 😂

Thats an awesome view from your front room!!

And im finding the same with gifts, ive ended up with a lot more new friends just since gifting began, but still i always have the lower level ones to try & give, but often the last ones havent been ooened yet by friends cos they will of course, like me, prioritise opening an extravagant or essential gift first.

Yesterday all i got were ordinary spell & ingredients- i couldnt get to the fortress unfortunately. So i feel bad sending good friends who have sent me a great gift just a basic one in return. But then i thought well its better than nothing? But im not sure- cos if that means it goes unopened for days, then i cant send them a good one when i get it.

Think il try an experiment & delete all lower level gifts & only send when ive goid ones, and ik crack open all my lower level gifts over the next few days to clear those too cos it feels so rude to ignore them! Lol.

It's quite a complicated thing this gifting if u think about it too much I reckon!