why only 14 (not 15) green books is a bad reward for profs ...

kiheikidkiheikid Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭✭
in Wizarding Challenges + Professions #1 latest comment 01 December, 2019, 02:36 am.

(minor rant warning)

i have no idea why someone thought it a clever idea to have brilliant stronger forces week 1 reward, in the aggregate, only 14 green books instead of the usual 15 green books (and in fact week 2 will reward 15 green books).

if we had 15 + 15, a professor could opt for

strength in numbers for 15 gb in week 1

and then

teamwork makes the dream work for 15 gb in week 2 ...

(assuming the prof does not already have these 2 lessons)

Comments

• kiheikidkiheikid Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭✭
    #213 November, 2019, 04:27 am.

instead, with only 14 gb available, all that is left (at least in my lesson plan as a prof) is to spend 12 gb now on

advanced proficiency charm 3/4 and 4/4

plus

mending charm maxima 2/2

even though they are rather low on the recommended priority chart suggested in the professor tab

at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NWYK1gnzN0ABI4xztBNsNkFw99lQsCYpo1zY-qZ3VwY/htmlview#

and have 2 gb left over

and then 15 gb after week 2 on strength in numbers (if you don’t already have it) or teamwork makes the dream work (if you do)

#313 November, 2019, 04:39 am.

for me, i could opt to not spend the 14 gb now and wait for 2 more gb as reward for completing task 1/4 in brilliant stronger united week 2 ... that would give me 16 gb ... and i can then spend 15 gb right away at that point on strength in numbers (instead of waiting all the way until end of week 2 assignments), and then decide at the end of week 2 whether to spend my then remaining 14 gb on the three mini lessons (costing total 12 gb) referenced in OP of this thread versus continue to save them until another 1 or 2 gb is/are rewarded from somewhere (like early task of future brilliant event) and then spend that 15 gb on teamwork makes the dream work ... and so on

yup, all because of someone’s decision to award 14, rather than 15, green books in this current week 1 of stronger united

(minor rant concluded ... thanks for reading/listening, if you have made it this far)

#413 November, 2019, 04:42 am.

ps - if @HPWUTeam were to offer additional green book rewards for participating in the november 17th community day, that would be better than nothing to compensate for the (bad) decision to award only 14, not 15, green books for week 1. (hint hint)

• MrSciGuyMrSciGuy Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    #513 November, 2019, 11:31 am.

@kiheikid the only thing I can think of is during the crazy month of October we received one extra green book by itself, I believe from completing either the bonus task or harrowing Halloween event. That gave us 31 for the month. Now I’m not saying that completely excuses the 14 here, because we are always under the assumption that we get 15 for each part, so it would’ve been nice to know ahead of time to save that one extra (I had three leftover and the one extra gave me four, so I upped my protection charm). Also that was October, this is November. Rewards from last month should be separate.

But like you said maybe we’ll get an extra one via community day or something. There’s a LOH event coming up later this month as well. 🤞🏼

#613 November, 2019, 05:19 pm.

exactly - i had 3 left over, and the mysterious extra one then made 4, which was spent on a protection charm lesson ... all on the presumption that brilliant events would continue to reward 15 green spell books

• DogoutlawDogoutlaw Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #713 November, 2019, 06:18 pm.

There’s another “event “ at the end of the month. I’m reserving judgment until I see if and what rewards are given.

#813 November, 2019, 06:22 pm.

that’s cool .. but i am making, not reserving, judgment at this time. i remain open to changing my judgment later if warranted. but right now i am calling them as i see them. (unlike the saints-rams playoff game officiating crew)

• PamdmPamdm Posts: 39 ✭✭
    #923 November, 2019, 06:41 pm.

The 1 book was one big incentive for the halloween event that was running in weekdays. It all came to nought.

My judgement is that it was messed up to give 14. I already maxed the proficiency charm to benefit my team. So even if there's an extra one at the end of the month, it's no use now!

#1029 November, 2019, 10:41 pm.

let’s hope @HPWUTeam will do the right thing and make dec 2019 christmas calamity brilliant event week 1 give us 16 green books, and then week 2 go back to normal 15 green books, with no shortchanging us on green books ever again.

• Dewin99Dewin99 Posts: 325 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019 #1130 November, 2019, 12:03 am.

@kiheikid How have you been shortchanged? We’ve received 30 (green) Restricted Section books on average every month.

#1230 November, 2019, 12:20 am.

@Dewin99

this month was 14 and 15 for weeks 1 and 2, respectively

are you saying you received 30 instead of 29 this month?!?!

#1330 November, 2019, 12:27 am.

Didn’t we get an extra 1 for Halloween?

edited November 2019 #1430 November, 2019, 12:45 am.

halloween was in october

have you not been following this thread ?

edited November 2019 #1630 November, 2019, 01:02 am.

ok, i give up explaining but maybe

this other thread might help explain

https://community.harrypotterwizardsunite.com/en/discussion/comment/20842#Comment_20842

Post edited by kiheikid on
    #1730 November, 2019, 07:50 am.

@kiheikid I’m glad to see you edited your post.

Thanks for the link, I’ve seen that thread too.

#1830 November, 2019, 08:44 am.

@Dewin99 - could not multi-task today; could not string two coherent sentences together; could not explain that part of the problem was detrimental reliance on there being actual 15, not average 15, green books for every week of brilliant event ... ie, many of us would have saved the extra green book in october if they told us we would be shorted the same in november; could not even log into app; could not even report the problem because neither niantic’s support site nor HPWU’s in-app report a bug bot are worth two nickels; could not find a big rock to smash my phone (thank goodness)

#2030 November, 2019, 08:52 am.

the moment has passed, but i’ll save a nice one for next time

• DubiousAffairsDubiousAffairs Posts: 235 ✭✭✭
    #2130 November, 2019, 12:20 pm.

@OriginalCaruso I'd argue that during previous events, 15 books could be obtained. 15 books is the number required to unlock a number of skills. Some other skills require fewer. It was logical to think that the number of books that would be received from any equivalent event would be 15.

Had 14 been given first, then one, the problem would not have been the same.

There has been a lot of discussion about the way Professors have to rely much more on GB to advance their skills, and what seemed an extra was welcome, "at last, Niantic listened". Having to find out that it was just an advance payment wasn't nice.

Pretty much like earning a bonus at work while noticing at the end of the month that your pay was docked by the same amount.

#2230 November, 2019, 12:45 pm.

@DubiousAffairs My issue was with the term ‘shortchanged’. If you end up with the same net amount then there is no net loss.

#2330 November, 2019, 01:09 pm.

@Dewin99 You are shortchanged if you thought you were getting a freebie and were waiting for your 15 from the event.

Of course, that is another instance of Niantic's terrible "communication." Had people been told, they probably would have had fewer complaints

#2430 November, 2019, 02:09 pm.

@DubiousAffairs I think the answer here then is not to presume.

I agree with regards to an improvement in communication. In-app preferably.

#2530 November, 2019, 02:43 pm.

@Dewin99 until there is decent communication, all that can be done is to presume, and attempt to extrapolate from what already happened.

For a number of things so far, people have had to rely on other players, on dataminers, on Stuff Found On The Internet. Anything that came from Niantic seemed to be an afterthought. They even sold a game guide. If anyone here has bought it, how outdated is it ?

#2630 November, 2019, 08:09 pm.

@DubiousAffairs - thank you for more clearly and more eloquently saying with 100 words what i could not with 1000 ... it’s exactly like spending what we thought was a bonus on ice cream, but it was only an unexplained advance and we found our pay docked at the end and therefore did not have enough to pay for meat and potatoes the next month.

#2701 December, 2019, 02:02 am.

What would be your response if the January Event only returned 15 (green) Restricted Section books?

#2801 December, 2019, 02:36 am.

what would my response be if someone were chumming the waters? ... stay tuned