Potions carry over?

AcumenAcumen Posts: 741 ✭✭✭✭✭
in Potions #1 latest comment 18 November, 2019, 03:46 pm.

Lots of players have requested it. Some have said they believe potions do, in fact, carry over from one foe to the next but I didn’t see any evidence of this... until tonight.

My potent carried from a Graves Foundable into a fortress challenge. When I tried to select a potion to use on the first foe, a message popped up stating potion was already in use. It didn’t show up on screen, but it was obvious the next four hits were potent hits.

Fluke or feature? Time will tell, I suppose.

Comments

• OPHIUCHUS73OPHIUCHUS73 Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November 5 #205 November, 2019, 05:24 am.

Same. That's fine if they are going to carry over, but then we should be able to see how many uses we have left. I'm trying to use a potion over and over and am like what is going on.

• CraeftCraeft Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #305 November, 2019, 06:11 am.

I just got a "this potion is already active" message but there was no potion active... at least no notification of such.

• LokireyLokirey Posts: 4 ✭✭
    #405 November, 2019, 07:51 am.

Mine does not carry over. At least not in a fortress, I can make a critical one hit with a potion and still use a potion on the next one.

• Magpie31Magpie31 Posts: 35 ✭✭
    #505 November, 2019, 11:43 am.

I just experienced this too! I saw McGonagall so busted my last potent. I then saw the philosopher's stone and was cursing, but the potion was still active. And then again for the brain tank and one of the horned serpents.

I would just like to point out that this great haul (which included 3 horned serpents in total) was done WITHOUT a trace tonic and in a 10 minute period.

• OwlxOwlx Posts: 310 ✭✭✭✭
    #605 November, 2019, 01:00 pm.

Wow hope this is a new feature and not a fluke.

@Magpie31 great haul! Must have been like winning a lottery.

• kiheikidkiheikid Posts: 749 ✭✭✭
    edited November 8 #708 November, 2019, 09:00 am.

Today, I used a strong exstimulo potion to help capture a Young Hermione foundable encountered in the wild as a severe threat level (orange plume) trace. I captured the foundable with my second spellcast. Without any other traces around for the moment at the library (which also happens to be a fortress), I decided to do a wizarding challenge to pass the time.

I was surprised to see that my strong exstimulo potion was automatically in effect for my next two spellcasts during that wizarding challenge. Alas, the only foe visible to tap on, inside the Tower Chamber 3 where I was battling, was a werewolf (against which I am proficient), so those 2 extra spellcasts boosted by the remainder of the strong exstimulo potion were sort of “wasted” on that no so challenging first foe.

I wonder if anyone has tested whether an exstimulo potion taken near the end of the wizarding challenge, with duration remaining, would be available to boost the next spellcast(s) in trace encounters in the wild.

Anyone, anyone ? Bueller, Bueller ?

• RadicaldavRadicaldav Posts: 52 ✭✭
    #808 November, 2019, 10:27 am.

I can see the remaining use. Have you downloaded assets after the upgrade?

• GinnungagapGinnungagap Posts: 429 ✭✭✭✭
    #908 November, 2019, 12:10 pm.

@kiheikid it does.

• OwlxOwlx Posts: 310 ✭✭✭✭
    #1008 November, 2019, 12:20 pm.

I'm loving the potion carry over! Brewing and using more regular exstimulo for map traces.

Its helping my registry! I need 1 more boggart cabinet for gold on 9 3/4.

#1108 November, 2019, 04:53 pm.

@Ginnungagap - thanks for confirming

edited November 8 #1208 November, 2019, 04:58 pm.

@kiheikid the thing I am unsure about is remaining dawdle drought casts when entering the fortress. As it remains as a potion effect but technically can't be used against the enemies in combat my guess is that there is a bug here. It is possible that this edge case was factored in but I would doubt it.

1) dawdle drought depletes on casts in the fortress even though it obviously is not applicable here

2) dawdle drought remains "in effect" but as it isn't factored into combat would not tick down. The likely bug offshoot of this is that potion effects count as greater enhancements. That means a lingering dawdle draft likely triggers Professors greater enhancement specialties. If it does not tick down in combat, then using a dawdle draft before the fortress gives a permanent +1 greater enhancement effect to professors...

I believe option 1 is the most likely but I don't really use dawdle droughts and cannot confirm

edited November 8 #1308 November, 2019, 06:49 pm.

it would seem better to have separate spell counters for potions initiated in/for fortresses vs potions initiated in/for trace encounters, with carryover only in same activity type but without carryover across into other subsequent activity type

• MtPolluxMtPollux Posts: 139 ✭✭✭
    #1409 November, 2019, 03:48 am.

@Ginnungagap re: dawdle draught carry over. Today I found quidditch fan Hermione, so I used a strong exstimulo and a dawdle draught. I got her on the 1st try, so my exstimulo had 3 casts remaining and the dawdle draught had 2 left. My next 2 traces were oddities, and both showed the exstimulo active but not the dawdle draught. When I encountered my next normal trace I had 1/4 left on the strong exstimulo and 2/3 left on the dawdle draught. So the dawdle draught counter only advanced when I encountered things that it would have an effect on. I would expect it to behave similarly when you entered the fortress with a dawdle draught still active.

• MrSciGuyMrSciGuy Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
    #1509 November, 2019, 02:20 pm.

@MtPollux that’s awesome to hear! Glad they did it in a way that makes sense. I was wondering about that myself. Hopefully the same holds true with the fortress battles.

#1609 November, 2019, 02:57 pm.

@MtPollux Interesting that may mean it gets phantom counted in the fortress as a greater enhancement.

Are there any professors that could confirm this by checking their damage output?

#1709 November, 2019, 06:16 pm.

so the test would be:

take a basic / strong / potent exstimulo potion

when only 1 or 2 spells left on duration of that potion, enter high level fortress chamber (because you want strong enough foe to not die too soon)

engage a tough foe that does not dodge or have special capabilities against you (for a professor, maybe choose a big fat acromantula) and do NOT engage deterioration hex or any other charms or hexes (easier to calculate damage when no extras)

take first **** (with exstimulo in effect) and write down / record damage done to foe - hopefully no critical hit so easier to calculate damage

take second or third **** (now without exstimulo in effect after its expiration) against same foe and write down / record damage done to foe - again hopefully with no critical hit

the difference should be solely attributable to the % bonus damage for exstimulo potions

#1810 November, 2019, 11:43 am.

@kiheikid I think what @Ginnungagap was suggesting was using a partially completed dawdle draught as an enhancement. If it behaves in the fortress as it did for me with the oddities, then the dawdle draught will be "active" throughout the entire fortress battle, even though it won't do anything. The test is for a professorto enter a fortress with an active dawdle draught and then check his/her damage output and see if the extra +5 damage is actually happening.

#1910 November, 2019, 12:10 pm.

ah, i understand now.

it will need to be another professor who does that testing. i have not yet spent the green spell books to complete strength in numbers and teamwork makes the dream work.

#2010 November, 2019, 01:31 pm.

@kiheikid@MtPollux exactly

@kiheikid if I'm right a professor could have 17 extra power simply with incomplete dawdle and casting defense at the start on themselves. I'm sure you can see what a huge difference that would make.

• DogoutlawDogoutlaw Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #2110 November, 2019, 03:05 pm.

@Ginnungagap I was totally going to do this, but my dawdle ran out before I got to the fortress yesterday, and I’m fresh out of the potion. If no one else manages to do this, I’ll test it when I have dawdle again. Sorry!! I was really curious to see what would happen.

#2210 November, 2019, 04:41 pm.

ok, but why would dawdle last the entire fortress session rather than just the number of remaining spells on the dawdle ? because there is no trace trying to flee inside/during the fortress session ? that seems like a huge loophole

#2310 November, 2019, 04:48 pm.

@kiheikid that was scenario 1 that I listed above. Dawdle drought would continue to tick down in the situation where it was meaningless. @MtPollux found that the dawdle draught did not tick down in battles. Now we just need to find out if having one active constitutes a greater enhancement.

#2411 November, 2019, 07:39 am.

I got to test it out today. I used the first cast of a dawdle draught then went into a fortress battle. I did tower 5 so the enemies would be strong enough that I couldn't one **** anyone. I didn't use any spells inside the fortress, and I was doing 84 damage against a death eater. Then I used my protection charm and I was doing 96 damage against a spider. I had no other potions or other enhancements active, so it seems that the dawdle draught DID count as an enhancement. It lasted for the entire fortress session.

I expect that this is something which will be fixed. Enjoy it while you can.

#2512 November, 2019, 07:48 am.

post awaiting approval

valki confirms dawdle counts as fortress enhancement for professors

#2612 November, 2019, 10:09 am.

woohoo, @Valki aka anthony constant the melbourne WU-tuber just confirmed that a dawdle draught carried over into fortress barrier counts as an enhancement - big THANKS, valki !

see 3:30 mark of his new vid

https://youtu.be/6KHeHtX7CGc

#2712 November, 2019, 03:43 pm.

Thanks @MtPollux for testing that out! That’s great!

• Dewin99Dewin99 Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    #2812 November, 2019, 06:19 pm.

Great work @MtPollux Can I just ask if the Dawdle draught worked as an enhancement in consecutive fortress challenges? In other words, if I played for say 30 minutes, that it worked for each and every battle?

If so, you could theoretically use it in one fortress, and then use it in a separate fortress too?

#2912 November, 2019, 08:20 pm.

@MtPollux Thanks for testing it out for me. I am not surprised that it works that way at all (hence why I brought it up). My guess is that it won't be fixed because in a way it's not really broken.

#3012 November, 2019, 08:33 pm.

I hope they don't "fix" it! It's nice that the potions can help our power when possible.

#3113 November, 2019, 11:33 am.

@Dogoutlaw @Ginnungagap you're welcome. All in the name of science!

@Dewin99 I only tried doing one challenge. Since the dawdle draught isn't timed I'd expect it to last indefinitely. I guess that will be the subject of my next experiment.