Formidable Pixie Foes

JupiterLostJupiterLost Posts: 3
in SOS Assignments #1 latest comment 06 November, 2019, 09:53 am.

I’ve searched the internet and have been on this challenge for about 3 months now. Level 26 Auror. I’ve tried just about every level in the tower and every combination of runs stone. I’ve found Common Pixies and the one above Formidable...forgot the name.

This is quite frustrating, as the other challenges would take about a week max. Any specific guidance that could be offered? It seems like quite the bug in an otherwise enjoyable game.

Comments

• BormacskaBormacska Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #204 November, 2019, 02:36 am.

What is your profession? That can alter which levels you should have a go at!

• JupiterLostJupiterLost Posts: 3
    #304 November, 2019, 05:53 am.

Level 26 Auror.

#404 November, 2019, 06:42 am.

Okay, let me post a link to help. It worked for me and I am an Auror as well.

This is from all the work @AuroraKadavra did so you can thank her! 😊

Not found any in lvls 1-3 ruins.

Lvl4

L1 MG&S, L1 Back 2 Hogwarts-4runes = 5 F. Pixies!

Lvl 5

L1 B2H x 2 F.Pix

Lvl 6

L3 myst Atrtif, L2 LoH, L1 B2H, L3 LoH x 2 F.Pixies! L2 Hogwarts School x 2 F.Pix

Lvl 7

L1 B2H x 3 F.Pix, L3 Oddities , L1 potters Calamity x 2 F.Pix, L2 Dark Arts, L2 MG&S, L2 COMC, L1 MG&S

Lvl 8

L5 Dark Arts,

Lvl 10

L5 Hogwarts School

There's also this from @LeFayeofAlbion: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfUiLC6niZ9FMnZG4b4kVwAQRJRuZ6_ZRdcIQACbXV0TyQgjQ/viewform

We have all struggled with this one... And all around Lvl 26.

You can also look at this discussion thread:

https://community.harrypotterwizardsunite.com/en/discussion/2212/formidable-pixies-and-how-to-consistently-find-them/p1

• AuroraKadavraAuroraKadavra Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #504 November, 2019, 10:08 am.

Oh goodness! Thanks for the reminder @Bormacska ! I only put in upto level 5 yet on the form so ive loads of data to add yet, plus many more that have been in lvs 1-5 now.

I think il do another summary on here too for those who just want to see the data laid out for an auror.

Il get on with that today 😊

• MrSciGuyMrSciGuy Posts: 927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #604 November, 2019, 11:18 am.

Does anyone have similar data for a professor searching for formidable death eaters?

• JupiterLostJupiterLost Posts: 3
    #704 November, 2019, 01:31 pm.

@Bormacska, thank you for such a thorough rundown, that’s exactly what I need. And since you cited your source, thank you @AuroraKadavra for the original.

I tried a few of them this morning with no luck, but I’ll keep at it using the formula provided. Thank you.

• AuroraKadavraAuroraKadavra Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #804 November, 2019, 07:53 pm.

@JupiterLost I had daughter off sch today so ended up not being able to add the additional data- but i will defo do it asap cos there is definitely a trend on what rune & which chamber works best. Im pretty sure its been the Hogwarts school rune & chambers 5,6,7 - but il confirm with data 😊

• DogoutlawDogoutlaw Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #905 November, 2019, 05:42 am.

@MrSciGuy I was able to get the formidable DE’s during group battles. If that’s not an option for you, I think you’d want to stick to the tower levels. But maybe another solo player can chime in with their experience.

• AcumenAcumen Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1005 November, 2019, 04:47 pm.

@MrSciGuy, I've done a few challenges with a group but mostly play solo. The formidable death eaters SOS task took longer for me to complete than any of the others. Some players who were professors like me said they were able to complete this task fairly quickly by temporarily switching profession to Auror. I didn't do that. I just kept doing fortress challenges until I got them all. At only one or two challenges per day, it took a few weeks.

Personally, when it comes to tasks like this one, I don't rely on any data collected by other players. One player's experience will be entirely different from the next. I only trust data that remains consistent for all players, like min/max effective rates, reward amounts, and so on. When someone claims to have found a strategy to help navigate the random elements of a game, I think of my chain-smoking Aunt to insisted she knew the best way to win on slot machines. There is no strategy that will work consistently when tested under reasonable conditions. Some will insist otherwise, but they're wrong. It's just confirmation bias.

#1105 November, 2019, 04:58 pm.

@MrSciGuy even as an Auror I had some trouble with finding FDE. One of the people I occasionally play with is a professor and she used the FP (formidable pixies) formula above, which worked for her. This led me to try the "professor's variant" which actually led me to finish my SOS task as well.

That being said, I actually agree with @Acumen in this game can be very random for tasks and results. Best of luck, no matter what!

#1205 November, 2019, 11:08 pm.

Thanks guys. I don’t think I’m up for switching professions just for this one. Besides, it’s paired up with the task of completing a fortress challenge with 3 teammates, and that one’s gonna take me forever. Pretty sure those are the last ones in SOS now anyway, so no rush.

• DogoutlawDogoutlaw Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1305 November, 2019, 11:23 pm.

@MrSciGuy you're correct, you're on the last SOS assignment for the time being.

• RadicaldavRadicaldav Posts: 67 ✭✭
    #1406 November, 2019, 12:28 am.

It only takes a few seconds to switch professions and you can switch right back and you do not loose any progress.

#1506 November, 2019, 12:38 am.

@MrSciGuy I did not switch professions. That may not have been clear in my post. What I did was follow what many professors used when looking for F pixies. I used mostly ruins 4- 5/ tower 1 - 3 as an Auror to get my F death eaters. My professor friend took the Auror formula that @AuroraKadavra was so meticulous in putting together and was able as a professor to find FDEs. No new profession required!

I cannot guarantee it will work for you. Maybe we just got lucky.

#1606 November, 2019, 01:06 am.

@Bormacska so if I’m understanding correctly, you’re saying as a professor try the formula for finding formidable pixies in order to also find formidable death eaters?

#1706 November, 2019, 01:52 am.

Yes.. Can I make it any more confusing? 😂😅🤣. Sorry!

• kiheikidkiheikid Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1806 November, 2019, 08:52 am.

between tower chamber 1 (6th overall) and tower chamber 3 (8th overall) is a sweet-spot for me as a professor in getting formidable pixies

each chamber level will have an overall difficulty number that falls within a range depending on the level of runestone you use. that overall difficulty number is a composite of the individual difficulty numbers for the respective individual foes you will encounter in that wizarding challenge. the typical range for difficulty numbers associated with the formidable pixie seems to fit nicely into the app’s algorithm for putting together a slate of foes at and around tower chambers 1 - 3.

too much lower a chamber, and the formidable pixie’s individual difficulty number would be too high for the other foes to fit into the formula. too much higher a chamber, and the formidable pixie’s individual difficulty number would be too low for the other foes to fit into the formula.

• WhitehorsemattWhitehorsematt Posts: 120 ✭✭✭
    #1906 November, 2019, 09:53 am.

Personally I scummed ruins 5 for the pixies. I had a drop rate of roughly 1 in 15 chambers for them as an Auror.

The only real advice I can give is play at the easiest level that you regularly get formidable foes at. I have seen formidable pixies at anything from Ruins 2 to right up to the top end Forest levels, but you obviously don't want to be **** in levels you need lots of potions for.

• WhitehorsemattWhitehorsematt Posts: 120 ✭✭✭
    #2006 November, 2019, 09:53 am.