Why so easy? (halloween event)

TurokriderTurokrider Posts: 9 ✭✭
in Feature Requests #1 latest comment 02 November, 2019, 10:55 am.

I love fighting in fortresses and try to play as high a chambers as I'm able to (between 2500-3500), so I was excited to hear about the halloween event being about fighting monsters in fortresses.

Once the event started I couldn't wait to play it. At start up, we even got a warning : the basilisk is really tough ! and I was like "O boy, this is gonna be fun !".

I opened my first chamber with a dark arts rune, immidiately getting the basilisk, woohoo. I used a green Elite potion (little did I know) and in my first attack I took half his health, **** ? 2 more attacks and he was dead. I lost maybe 10 points of my health...

Where is my battle ???? Why did I save up potions for this event? It's super easy and super boring, such a lost opportunity !

The graphics are absolute amazing and I would have loved to battle a basilisk to the limit, using potions and time-outs etc but no, just 3 spells and cya.

I finished the event in an hour, hardly loosing any energy (I'm a wizard). All I have to do is cast "Deterioration Hex" and they all dieibecause of their own attacks, I just have to wait !

To hopefully make it a bit harder, I played with 1 other account but that didn't help. Still super easy, the other didnt had to do anything except giving me his focus. I hexed the opponents and we just wait till its over.

Such a shame.

regards, a very disappointed fan :(

Comments

• LucoireLucoire Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #231 October, 2019, 11:47 am.

All Event-Encounters for all events since the release have been weak. If I had to make a guess, it is so players of ALL LEVELS can participate without being excluded.

• Osprey1Osprey1 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #331 October, 2019, 12:45 pm.

I was also left underwhelmed. I thought that using the fortress gave them the opportunity to make the difficulty variable so that you could, at a minimum, choose the level of your basilisk.

Why did we collect over 100 runestones and get 5 more from a gift when the event could be completed with 1 or 2?

At the end of the day I don't mind events that aren't challenging, but the hype was wrong. It would have been so much better if more focus was given to the story line and possibly followed PoGo's lead by having one of the new characters referred to with a non-gendered pronoun.

Why did Ginny and Myrtle show up more often?

Ultimately I'm left confused by this event.

• RelaxLahRelaxLah Posts: 66 ✭✭
    #431 October, 2019, 01:20 pm.

Overhyped under delivered

• DubiousAffairsDubiousAffairs Posts: 235 ✭✭✭
    #531 October, 2019, 01:35 pm.

@Lucoire The Vampires/Werewolves and Doxie events was the opposite, it could exclude new player too easily because the stamina of those Oddities had been boosted. So too hard, still excluding people, another fail.

• Plan9Plan9 Posts: 52 ✭✭✭
    #631 October, 2019, 01:51 pm.

@Osprey1 I think because Ginny opened the chamber of secrets on Halloween and Moaning Myrtle was killed by the basilisk

• MicksterMickster Posts: 8 ✭✭
    #731 October, 2019, 01:52 pm.

My guess is that it's an Event running only 3 days, in the middle of the work week. Many players may not have an lot of free time because of this.

It took me all of 15 minutes to fulfill the requirements (I'm a L34 Auror ). For others, it might take longer because of their Level or Skill.

I don't have any problem with a short, easy event on the middle of the week. It's like a 100 meter sprint. The tougher events and Assignments are the "marathon" . It's a good balance for me .

• AuroraKadavraAuroraKadavra Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019 #831 October, 2019, 02:41 pm.

Theres another thread saying very similar things, I commented on that one this morn. Thought to tie it in here - there definitely are mixed views on various elements of the event...

https://community.harrypotterwizardsunite.com/en/discussion/3500/short-and-sweet-halloween-event#latest

#931 October, 2019, 03:03 pm.

@Plan9 following that logic, shouldn't we see Tom Riddle since he found the chamber first and controlled the basilisk? I also think Fawkes would be present since our basilisk was blinded. Finally the sword of Gryffindor would be a good drop if you used an artifacts runestone.

#1031 October, 2019, 03:03 pm.

@Plan9 following that logic, shouldn't we see Tom Riddle since he found the chamber first and controlled the basilisk? I also think Fawkes would be present since our basilisk was blinded. Finally the sword of Gryffindor would be a good drop if you used an artifacts runestone.

#1131 October, 2019, 10:59 pm.

Never mind....

• OwlxOwlx Posts: 956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1201 November, 2019, 04:08 am.
  • NursePoppyNursePoppy Posts: 76 ✭✭✭
    #1301 November, 2019, 05:32 am.

I am of two minds about the Hallowe'en Event.

I love the game and have played every day since the beginning. The Basilisk was much easier than I expected.

However, I also remember how it felt when I realized how much fun Daughter was having with PokemonGo , but when I finally started playing I felt waaaaay behind. Not fun.

My solution was to fight the Fortress battles with my non-dominant hand.

Wizard on!

• Passion4PurplePassion4Purple Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November 2019 #1501 November, 2019, 11:51 am.

I'm a Magizoologist and I defeated my first Basilisk with one spell cast and No potions ... very disappointing

And we only needed one for the task ... we should have needed at least a few more.

Other Basilisk encounters did take a couple of spell casts but still no potions and still not very exciting.

• JeroenixJeroenix Posts: 81 ✭✭✭
    #1601 November, 2019, 12:10 pm.

We noticed the skill level too, I concur that it must be because it was only 3 days, and they wanted to make sure that everyone got their prize. However, we DID have great fun yesterday while at a restaurant that's next to a fortress. The up side was that we really made progress with registry pages and family rankings. Many rewards for little work. I'm thinking of doing it again before it stops.

• ChicolitaChicolita Posts: 1
    #1701 November, 2019, 12:17 pm.

I never got anything except the basilisk so I couldn't finish. That was a bummer.

• FireNightingaleFireNightingale Posts: 105 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019 #1801 November, 2019, 01:36 pm.

I for one was relieved that it was easy to complete, as the weather wasn't great and I only had one opportunity to get out of the house during the event (I'm a carer for my special needs son, and it's the school holidays here.). So, I was rather relieved that I didn't have to spend hours working on it!

I enjoyed the new female foes, and though there didn't seem to be much point in spending the runes in that chamber once I was done, due to the low challenge xp, it was fun and pitched about right in my opinion for a one day event that needs to be open to all.

I'm certainly not going to be crying over my left-over runestones! Having an increased number of those (to encourage people to play at fortresses) seems to be the main purpose of the event & its rune-dropping precursor. Plus we got a couple more books and some gold. Not bad all things considered.

• LaPtOpBoTLaPtOpBoT Posts: 1
    #1901 November, 2019, 07:36 pm.

I totally agree.. I was proper hyped thinking I was gonna get an amazing trial battle... I expected to lose a few before I worked out how to win ..turned out I beat it In 2 moves ..finished the whole event in my dinner break at work..such a shame..agree about the graphics tho ..looked amazing..niantic prob want to get all the low level players more engaged but not good for proper enthusiasts

• PunkyfinsPunkyfins Posts: 202 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019 #2001 November, 2019, 08:58 pm.

Tbh I liked that it was an easy one. For those of us with the time and on higher levels it was great for fragments, challenge xp and extra free stuff. I really wouldn't want lower level players, or people with limited time during the week to be left behind because a fun little event like this demands another massive investment of time, spell energy or resources. That would make me sad. So if that were the trade-off: that's fine by me.

• Minervina19Minervina19 Posts: 33 ✭✭
    #2101 November, 2019, 09:25 pm.

I, too, was disappointed. Mainly because everything I read said that you would need all levels of runestones when in reality I used only level 1 stones and was done in 20 minutes. I was shocked!

Here I was, completely worried because it was mid-week and I thought I needed to go to a sponsored fortress in order for the basilisk to appear, whe it popped up quickly at my local fortress.

I had over 100 death runestones, and for what?

I think the key is to give better information when publicizing the event. I would have really appreciated knowing that this would be quick fun instead of thinking it was going to be this really tough challenge that I needed other players with me to succeed.

Nearest sponsored fortress is 30 minutes away and there aren't many players nearby.

I hope next time the information is more accurate. I love the special events but would like a reality check, please!

• ReversebatmamReversebatmam Posts: 1
    #2201 November, 2019, 09:39 pm.

I think I kind of get why the event was so easy on Halloween.

The day of the dragons event was the same day as 1st Saturday in ingress and I had to choose between the 2. I was unable to participate in the dragon thing at all .

The ease of this event made it possible for anyone who wanted to to participate.

• DubiousAffairsDubiousAffairs Posts: 235 ✭✭✭
    #2301 November, 2019, 10:15 pm.

@Reversebatmam The fact that it started on the 30th and ended on the 1st is what would help most to take part. That way, you have more time to find a fortress. (Not sure how fortresses you need Runestones to enter represent a danger other than "they look obvious", it would have raised the urgency if the foes appeared on the map, enabling more people to take part, even if they don't live near a fortress.)

@Punkyfins The event being easy is good for new players, especially considering the lack of communication.

But to anyone here, who has read that we had to win and save lots of runestones, and that it would be the Harrowing Halloween event, with higher runes leading to the Basilisk, (better stock up on potions too!) it was just A Bunch Of Utter Tosh. (ABOUT™)

If you don't follow any of the social media, you could still breeze through this event.

In this, it was very much unlike the previous Brilliant event, for which the tasks came with lazy time-eating blocks so they wouldn't be completed too fast :

Week one, first task "Use 1 Tonic for Trace Detection" For this event the Erumpent horns were made more common in the wild. But chances are that if you hadn't saved a Tonic, you would have to look around for quite a bit (you need two horns), and then wait for seven hours (minus 15% with Master Notes) to get past a task that was otherwise relatively quick.

Same thing for the second task, which required you to brew four potions. If you hadn't planned in advance, you had to wait at least 8 hours (minus 15%) while those brewed.

Week two, you start by needing to brew six potions... so even if you planned in advance, that task will have taken at the minimum 4 hours (minus 15%). You only needed to defeat two Oddities and visit two inns for the rest of that task. The third task required you to use two Trace Tonics. See above.

If you managed to find the articles from third-party website which probably cheated, you could plan in advance for those potions, and then save time. The added **** and waiting is what causes some people to not be able to finish those events. (That and portkeys that won't open).

• PunkyfinsPunkyfins Posts: 202 ✭✭✭
    #2402 November, 2019, 07:17 am.

@Minervina19 seems to be indicating it's due to, shall we say mismarketing? And @DubiousAffairs you seem to agree with this in part, but also with the set-up of the event itself (and the event prior). (The forced 'lag' for brewing and opening ever more portkeys). I agree with both. I just do not agree, at all, with the argument that the event was 'too easy' by itself, without qualifying the overhype.

Hope I'm not misrepresenting either of you. My point is still that the game should be as inclusive as possible. Even if that means that certain special challenges are easy and quick to complete...

• LucoireLucoire Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #2502 November, 2019, 10:55 am.

What if... this event was just a "public test" for more Event-specific Fortress-Levels?