Preparing for the Halloween Event

hpwulolahpwulola Posts: 876 admin
in Other In-Game Events #1 latest comment 05 November, 2019, 07:53 am.

Hey everyone,

It’s almost time for our Halloween Event! I wanted to highlight a few event details in order to help us all strategize for this epic, 48-hour event! 🤩

This event will start on Wednesday, October 30 at 11 a.m. PDT and end on Friday, November 1 at 11 a.m. PDT. Please compare this to your local time to see when you can play. During this time, players will receive a Special Assignment with exclusive rewards. This assignment will only be available during the event, best of luck! 

More exciting news: this event will be featuring a special Harrowing Halloween Chamber! I’ve seen a ton of you post questions regarding the logistics of the Chamber and hopefully, this post will answer all those questions. A Player needs to enter the Harrowing Halloween Chamber and use a Dark Arts Runestone in order to encounter Event Foes, including the Dark Witch, Dark Wizard, and Slytherin’s Basilisk. 🐍If multiple players join the Chamber together, only one Player needs to use a Dark Arts Runestone to summon these Foes. However, if multiple players use Dark Arts Runestones, it is likely that more Event Foes will appear. Players, take caution and be sure to avoid eye contact with anything slithering in the dark ! 👀

There may be tasks in the Special Assignment that ask Players to defeat certain event Foes. If you are entering a Wizarding Challenge with multiple teammates, please note that the Player who defeats this Foe is the one who will get credit. Strategize accordingly! Another thing to note, Runes Chamber 4 and above in Sponsored Fortresses will grant Players bonus Spell Energy. 

There will be a special store pack in Diagon Alley, be sure to claim yours! 🎁

⚡️Players in Brazil, we want to apologize for the error in the October Community Day scheduling. We will be sending impacted players a bonus store pack. Look out for this tomorrow!⚡️

Have a spectacular Halloween, everyone!

Comments

• kiheikidkiheikid Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #230 October, 2019, 06:25 am.

thank you @HPWULola !!

• AuroraKadavraAuroraKadavra Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019 #330 October, 2019, 08:09 am.

Soòooo excited!!

Young Ginny & moaning myrtle already appearing in the house before 6.30am! Woohoo! Cant wait!!! 😀

• ImaginatioImaginatio Posts: 716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #430 October, 2019, 09:03 am.

Looking forward to the event!

@HPWULola Thanks for the details 😊

• Dewin99Dewin99 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #530 October, 2019, 12:33 pm.

Really excited for the Halloween Event.

What tactics are people thinking of employing with regards to usage of Dark Runestones?

I’ve got loads of L1-3 runestones (none higher unfortunately), and will probably start off in my comfort zone at Tower 5 / Forest 1.

My potions are nearly full just in case I have to go higher (Dark 1 is my highest).

What’s everyone else planning?

• AcumenAcumen Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #630 October, 2019, 02:17 pm.

@Dewin99, I will be employing my usual, carefully planned strategy of tapping stuff and hoping something cool happens. Remember that the event features a chamber of its own, so toss the idea of Ruins, Tower, Forest, or Dark chambers. I'm curious to see how many levels will exist within the chamber? Just one? The usual five? More, perhaps? How difficult will the Harrowing Halloween chamber be? Probably not very difficult at all, I imagine, to avoid making it impossible for new players. I guess we'll find out soon enough. In addition to the new fortress foes, I'm hoping to see some rare Dark Arts foundables. It'd be nice to finally spot Tom Riddle.

• GinnungagapGinnungagap Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭
    #730 October, 2019, 02:22 pm.

@Dewin99 I will be testing the waters with level 2 rune stones to see how much xp is granted (in particular dark arts) in each chamber as well as how challenging different enemies are in each chamber. After that I will be tackling higher chambers with lvl 4/5 dark arts runes for the challenge xp. Then I will likely use ;vl 2/3 on lower chambers for balancing time with dark arts xp rewards to attempt to produce additional 4 and 5 dark arts runes. Rinse/Repeat.

#830 October, 2019, 05:47 pm.

There are new assets available to download, so be sure to do that!

• hpwulolahpwulola Posts: 876 admin
    #930 October, 2019, 06:03 pm.

Event is LIVE!!!! 🐍

• DubiousAffairsDubiousAffairs Posts: 235 ✭✭✭
    #1030 October, 2019, 06:57 pm.

It's like to report false advertising. That Chamber had me one-shotting Dark people and the Basilisk appeared with a level one Runestone, less stamina than last Community Day's Werewolves. On the other hand, at least I'm back inside, it's cold and wet outsider.

edited October 2019 #1130 October, 2019, 07:37 pm.

@HPWULola Yay!

Just got home after finishing the event tasks. It was much easier then expected, but probably because I was not a beginner and I was in a group. Still had fun 😊

Post edited by Imaginatio on
  • HallanenHallanen Posts: 48 ✭✭
    #1230 October, 2019, 08:12 pm.

It was a pretty easy event to finish,but I did enjoy it. I only played for an hour because it's snowing quite a bit here and I didn't want to completely soak my phone. 😀 Hopefully it doesn't snow tomorrow so I can play more and get to level 30.

• MalandrinaMalandrina Posts: 28 ✭✭
    #1330 October, 2019, 08:35 pm.

I play solo, I could not trigger the basilisk... I used dark arts, Oddities, magizoology and another type of runes, but nothing :'(

edited October 2019 #1430 October, 2019, 08:40 pm.

@Malandrina Stick to only the dark arts runestones and the Halloween chamber as the other runes or other chambers won’t trigger the new Halloween foes, so no Basilisk either. Also, keep at it, it will show up. Hope this helps, good luck 😊

#1530 October, 2019, 09:08 pm.

@Imaginatio I don't think it was easier to finish just because you aren't a beginner. Since the Community Day, there has been hype about getting as many Dark Arts Runestones as possible, and this was supposedly the Harrowing Halloween Event.

Merriam-Webster : Definition of harrowingacutely distressing or painful

Weeks of hype for something supposedly very difficult, stock up, stock up on those Runestones!, and we get something for which the difficulty was what the Community Event difficulty should have been.

Higher Chambers ? Nope. I did check up to Tower 4 with a level 3 runestone, only to get standard ennemies.

Talk about Slytherin's Monster. It was blind, sure, but with a stamina of less than 250, it's lower than quite a few things we've seen recently.

#1630 October, 2019, 09:24 pm.

@DubiousAffairs it did feel slightly too easy, but I guess they did that so anyone new to the game would have a chance at completing the event. I do get your disappointment though, I would have also preferred more difficulty due to the hype and preparation. Maybe tower chamber level difficulty at least (maybe level 3) rather than rune chamber level difficulty.

I guess they did it like this so everyone has a good chance of completing the event tasks, whatever their level and be able take full advantage of the event without difficulty.

I did have fun though and I will definitely be using more of the dark arts runestones in the chamber.

#1730 October, 2019, 09:37 pm.

@DubiousAffairs I agree it was very easy, but hey-****. I’d rather find the event to be too easy than too hard. I guess I’ll use all my potions on seeing if I can complete Dark Chamber challenges.

It was really great not having to worry about Spell Energy, I found it to be virtually cost neutral with the SE bonuses.

#1830 October, 2019, 09:38 pm.

@Imaginatio Making sure everyone can have fun, even new players, is good. Why they didn't do that last Community Day is anyone's guess.

However, I'd argue that they haven't managed it this time either. I don't particularly like Fortress fights, in part because there are no inns near the closest Fortress here (and with the weather being cold and wet, I'd prefer to spend as little time outside as possible), but at my current level it was boring, with no actual challenge, and the higher chambers weren't included in the event.

It should have been possible to offer several chambers at different levels. It took longer to return the ten Dark Arts foundables than to do the rest.

But I suppose sub-par should have been expected by now. This will most likely be my last event.

#1930 October, 2019, 09:53 pm.

Crikey! Just realised that my Elite foes achievement challenge has shot up by +30.

More Basilisk hunting tomorrow for me!

edited October 2019 #2030 October, 2019, 10:22 pm.
    What I'm stoked about:

I was able to max out my Dark Arts family registry at 65*. Just four more families to go, and I'm pretty close on all of those. Placed all the Dark Arts images for items only obtained through fortress rewards. Now if only I could get more Swooping Evil, Percival Graves, and Tom Riddle so I can finally prestige those pages. The Harrowing chamber rewards weren't huge, but the challenge rounds were quick and easy, so I still ended up earning lots of Challenge XP in a relatively short amount of time. Plus, as a professor, I could gain XP on each round at a sponsored fortress.

What I'm not so stoked about:

It would have been cool if the Harrowing chamber had different levels, with the level 5 difficulty level being comparable to Forest or even Dark chambers, but that's just me. I can understand how making it easy enough for new players to enjoy makes sense. I hoped to see an increased spawn rate for high-threat Dark Arts foundables, like Graves, Riddle, and Swooping Evil. Nothing too crazy., but spotting just one or two of them today would have been nice. shrugs

Overall, it was cool. I appreciate the spell books and the new characters. Thanks.

• HPWUrobertHPWUrobert Posts: 607 admin
    #2130 October, 2019, 10:26 pm.

@DubiousAffairs +1 for the Fifth Element gif

#2231 October, 2019, 12:01 am.

@DubiousAffairs The game is still relatively new and the HPWU team mean well. I’m sure the comments made will be taken into account in future events where possible.

I do get the weather and going outside part when it’s cold. But, since you need relatively less energy to complete a challenge, hopefully your spell energy can have a bigger impact.

Also, maybe think of the event as an opportunity to rank up quickly in the dark arts family and relatively quicker in challenge ranks to get more red books.

• JulieJubzJulieJubz Posts: 640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #2331 October, 2019, 12:18 am.

@HPWULola omg, thank you for reaching out to the Brazilian players through 3 different threads now, haha. I also made sure to tell as many people as I could, AND I saw the in game message. So, thank you guys so much for all of that :3

I really wish we could have gotten that hour back (because DOXY, I know I know, I'll shut up about doxy now 🤣) but I super appreciate the bundle. Thanks guys.

Also I love the basilisk!! Not enough to let it live of course 👀

• l3arc3axl3arc3ax Posts: 2
    #2431 October, 2019, 01:18 pm.

Was booooooring and faster. Take 10 minutes to finish and was only october 30. I am sad. many words little action

#2531 October, 2019, 08:02 pm.

yup, definitely going basilisk hunting at sponsored fortress harrowing halloween chamber ... only need 14 to hit 100 elites achievement

#2631 October, 2019, 08:49 pm.

@kiheikid Wow, nice! I didn't even think about using this event to score that achievement until I saw everyone posting here 😯You all are so smart!!

#2731 October, 2019, 09:09 pm.

@HPWULola - only possible/feasible because every basilisk is elite and so easy to find (in sponsored fortress and/or with higher level dark arts runestones) and defeat (248 hit point no matter which level runestone used, so i can 2-hit each one and get back same 2 spell energy i spent as reward from sponsored fortress). soooo, big thanks to y’all @HPWUTeam for making this achievement a bit easier to reach. i started yesterday at either 66/100 or 67/100 and ended where i am now at 84/100, and that was when i was using the level 1 runestones for **** for the dark arts fortress fragments. today i am going to stack the deck for calling the basilisks by using level 2 or higher runestones in the HHchamber.

hoping to report good news and be 7 red spell books richer, when i return.

#2801 November, 2019, 12:26 am.

Hey everyone! There was an accidental in-app message stating that the Halloween event has ended. The Halloween Event will be live until November 1st, 11 AM PDT. Please tell fellow players that they can keep fighting that Basilisk!

#2901 November, 2019, 12:27 am.

actually ended yesterday at 86/100

and ended today at ...

nah, just kidding ...

now at 100/1000 !!

#3001 November, 2019, 12:29 am.

by the way, here was the bad girl herself,

miss century

and the 7 fruits of my labours

edited November 2019 #3101 November, 2019, 12:40 am.

it took me half an hour to get from 86/100 to 97/100, using mostly level 4 and some level 3 and some level 2 runestones in the HHchamber at at&t sponsored fortress. i probably encountered a basilisk 2 out of 3 times using a level 4 runestone and maybe 1 out of 2 times using a level 3 runestone. although i started out with level 2 runestones and got a basilisk on the very first battle, i gave up after 5 consecutive times not getting a basilisk with level 2 runestones.

i was lucky enough to receive more level 4 runestones when i ranked up near the end, and those accounted for 98/100 and 99/100.

then i used my level 5 runestone to get 100/100. i was so excited and happy to see miss century, that i forgot to put the det hex on it. so, that last basilisk took me four hits rather than the usual two.

so relieved.

total time elapsed, including eating my sandwich afterwards ... 1 hour.