spoiler: harrowing halloween event guide & tasks & discussion

kiheikidkiheikid Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
in Other In-Game Events #1 latest comment 01 November, 2019, 08:21 pm.

standard spoiler warning - if you don’t want to know, please leave this thread

otherwise, read on ...

Comments

• kiheikidkiheikid Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #222 October, 2019, 03:24 am.

link to guide at wizards unite hub:

including this summary:

#322 October, 2019, 03:37 am.

question for @HPWULola and @HPWUFazes ...

if we go into a fortress battle during harrowing halloween event as a team of 2 or more players, each using dark arts runestones, will each of us get a separate basilisk foe to battle during same battle/challenge? or will we as a team have to figure out which single player within our team gets to be the lucky player while the rest of us sit on sidelines? maybe of more relevance, if only one player within team battles the basilisk, is that one player the only person within the team to get the extra RSB reward or does everyone in the team each get that RSB reward for defeating a basilisk? same question re red spell books too, re allocation to specific team player who actually defeated the 2 dark ministry officials versus rewarding entire team with red spell books.

also, are those tasks and rewards one-time only, or ongoing for every multiple? ie, if i defeat 6 dark ministry officials, do i satisfy, and get rewarded for satisfying the task, 3 times (so 6 red books total rewarded) or only once for the first time and not thereafter (so only 2 red books rewarded)?

thank you in advance if you would clarify for us!

• PunkyfinsPunkyfins Posts: 202 ✭✭✭
    #427 October, 2019, 10:04 am.

Thank you @kiheikid, fair question. Since I have to make sure to organize two players (maximum) it would be very nice to know that they will have access to the rewards also. It would also be nice to have confirmation that the basilisk will turn up with high level runestones: since they're quite rare. :)

• Magpie31Magpie31 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #527 October, 2019, 02:43 pm.

I read it as only the player who defeats the basilisk gets the reward.

I am hoping that the chances of a solo player encountering the basilisk are high enough. Especially with mediocre runestones.

#627 October, 2019, 05:48 pm.

@HPWULola @HPWUFazes - would you please clarify as to questions above in post #3 of this thread? we have logistical issues, including whether to tag-team or go solo, depending on your answers. thank you in advance

#728 October, 2019, 06:22 am.
  • Burnturrek619Burnturrek619 Posts: 58 ✭✭
    #828 October, 2019, 02:36 pm.

Hey there @kiheikid, It's only the player who defeats the Basilisk will get progressed towards the task. But the rewards you receive from Wizarding Challenge will be distributed equally i guess.

#928 October, 2019, 05:56 pm.

@Burnturrek619 - that is what i figure, too, which is why it seems kinda unfair that battling in a team increases the chance of encountering a basilisk ... especially if folks have limited time to do wizarding challenges yet have to take turns within a team to **** the basilisk in multiple encounters (assuming basilisks are plentiful ... but if that is the case, why would the chances have to be increased in the first place?). and then what about folks who can only participate as solos?

• LeFayeofAlbionLeFayeofAlbion Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭
    #1028 October, 2019, 11:31 pm.

And it’s also not fair that the Basilisk would be more common in sponsored fortresses. What about those of us in countries with no sponsored fortress, huh?

Our group has sort of agreed that whoever seems strongest at that moment goes after the Basilisk first. Hopefully the Basilisk will appear enough for all of us to get it. After all, those formidable pixies task took me two months to complete! Hope it’s nothing like that.

• AuroraKadavraAuroraKadavra Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1129 October, 2019, 10:04 am.

@LeFayeofAlbion i feel ya on that one! I can't get to a sponsored Fortress & il have to play solo. So i get the feeling I'm going to struggle to finally meet the Basilisk & then be able to defeat it! I may not have enough potions ready in time to take a **** from other foes & then be able to bring that down.

But, we'll see- gonna give it my best shot! 😀

#1230 October, 2019, 03:00 am.

answer by @HPWULola posted in another thread:

edited October 2019 #1330 October, 2019, 03:04 am.

the event has not even started yet, but moaning myrtle is popping up all over already

(too bad it was not the boggart cabinet that the basilisk attacked in canon ... that is the hogwarts school family foundable i really want to see lots of!!)

#1430 October, 2019, 06:03 am.

@XpectoGO believes that aurors will be proficient, and professors will be deficient, against the dark witch and the dark ministry official due to their similarity to the dark wizard and the death eater. not sure whether any particular profession will be proficient against the basilisk ... but i sure hope it will be professors (because we are getting screwed in so many other ways in this game).

ok, i’m off to go rent a cauldron and brew some extra potions in preparation

#1530 October, 2019, 06:34 am.

first young ginny weasley encounter in a few days for me (at about 11.5 hrs before official start of event) ... hoping for and looking forward to many more such encounters, so i can place the image in the registry page

• AuroraKadavraAuroraKadavra Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1630 October, 2019, 07:49 am.

I've had young ginny once & moaning myrtle about 5 times showed up at house before 6.30am today! It's exciting cos sorta feels like it's started already!

Praying I can get the Basilisk through solo play, i think ive plenty of runes 😂 so can give it a good shot!

edited October 2019 #1730 October, 2019, 07:18 pm.

@WizardPhD aka professor lynnette has posted a livestream. she is teaming up with auror jeffrey, her partner in her WU-tube series

learned from her vid:

1. professors are proficient against dark witches
    2. professors are deficient against dark ministry officials
    3. professors are neutral against basilisks
    4. she and the auror played in the harrowing halloween chamber as a team at a sponsored at&t fortress, and encountered plenty of all three special halloween foes with just level 1 dark arts runestones
    5. she and the auror each encountered a basilisk in the same chamber battle (no other foes), so they divvied up the basilisks nicely without having to take/wait turns
    6. basilisks appear to (all) be elite foes, so this is a good way to make progress toward 100 elite foes achievement that gives 7 red spell books as the reward
    7. all those dark arts runestones are returning dark arts fortress fragments, like tom riddle sr’s gravestone, magic is might statue, and knockturn alley sign ... so good opportunity to try to place those images

Post edited by kiheikid on
  • ImaginatioImaginatio Posts: 775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019 #1830 October, 2019, 07:47 pm.

Just finished the event tasks, so to add to @kiheikid’s comments for anyone who wants to know:

Only one Halloween chamber level and it’s found right at the top of the list when you enter a fortress.

Magizoologists are proficient against the Basilisk.

The basilisk from what I have seen is always elite and has about 248 stamina whatever the stars on it.

Best to use 1, 2 & 3 level runes on the chamber and save your level 4 and 5 runes for higher levels in the fortress.

The chamber difficulty is like the ruins levels, so the foes aren’t too difficult. It’s quite easy for anyone who has been playing for a while already. And still doable for new players.

You mainly get joke fragments as rewards for the challenge page.

You have a good chance of getting dark arts chamber only fragments, but not 100% as always.

Post edited by Imaginatio on
  • MrSciGuyMrSciGuy Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1930 October, 2019, 07:56 pm.

So @Imaginatio and @kiheikid am I understanding this correctly? There’s only one level of the HH chamber? We just use different level runestones? It just didn’t seem like difficulty changed much. Just looking for the basilisk.

edited October 2019 #2030 October, 2019, 08:02 pm.

@MrSciGuy Yep, only one level. In the list of chamber levels when you go into a fortress, it’s situated right at the top above the ruins levels. And yeah, just use different level runes. But I would stick to 1, 2 or 3.

Not sure if higher level runes have a higher chance of encountering the Basilisk though. But I still wouldn’t use them as you don’t get as much challenge xp as the higher fortress levels.

Also, to come across the new foes, always use the dark arts runes. Same for in a group, everyone should use the dark arts runes or you don’t see the new foes, even if only one person uses a different rune in the group - that’s what we found as I played in a group.

• Dewin99Dewin99 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #2130 October, 2019, 08:08 pm.

Just played for 30 minutes at a sponsored fortress, finished the event really quickly.

It’s amazing how quickly you rack up the challenge xp, I think this event will really help with getting a lot of spell books.

Fantastic work HPWU Team!

Hope nobody has any issues with this event.

#2230 October, 2019, 08:08 pm.

@MrSciGuy

just watch the linked youtube video to get an idea ( no need to watch the whole thing ... start at 5:28 )

#2330 October, 2019, 08:17 pm.

@Dewin99 Very true, I will definitely continue playing in the chamber tomorrow. Hopefully I’ll prestige some of the jokes fragment pages as well as stack up on challenge xp.

• Thunder2kThunder2k Posts: 24 ✭✭
    #2430 October, 2019, 08:24 pm.

****? All that brewing and planning and it took like 5 stones with level 2 the highest? What do I do with the other 100 plus?

• PunkyfinsPunkyfins Posts: 202 ✭✭✭
    #2530 October, 2019, 08:36 pm.

Got the basilisk with a lvl 3 rune (solo). Rest is confirmed. 1 chamber, not too tough to handle. Good luck everyone!

#2630 October, 2019, 08:51 pm.

Really pleased overall with the event.

So many Dark fragments that I had previously found difficult to place.

Lots of Joke Products & Books too.

Great to finally see professors not being at a disadvantage compared to other professions.

Very happy!

#2730 October, 2019, 09:00 pm.

@Dewin99 How often did you get book fragments? I got mainly joke fragments, not as many books. But maybe it was just me.

#2830 October, 2019, 09:05 pm.

Roughly 25% of the time. I alternated between L1-3 runestones.

#2930 October, 2019, 09:08 pm.

@Dewin99 Okay, thanks for the info. 😊

#3030 October, 2019, 09:10 pm.

theory: HPWU developers hear/see all the complaints about scarcity of red spell books, but rather than boosting # of red spell books awarded directly from ranking up in challenge xp after you reach certain higher ranks (and it still takes 100 family xp to rank up and get a runestone (or purchase runestones for gold) to use in fortress), they just dropped tons of dark arts runestones during community day ... to make it easier for us to go fortress **** during harrowing halloween event 48 hours. we grind, get challenge xp to rank up and get same 2 red spell books per rank up, but it is now cheaper to do that in terms of runestones ( still not necessarily cheaper in terms of spell energy and actual time spent **** ). and having all basilisks be elite foes helps some folks get closer to another 7 red spell books via the 100 elite foes achievement. if that is how HPWU team is thinking and choosing to address our concerns re red spell book scarcity, then sincere thank you to @HPWUTeam (even if i would have done it differently).

(not that it absolves anyone of the 2.5.0 update dumpster fire, hehehe)

• GinnungagapGinnungagap Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019 #3131 October, 2019, 01:48 am.

@kiheikid This event IMHO is about recycling runes. It is so quick to go through the chamber which awards 25 dark arts xp. You can turn you level 1,2,3 runes into level 4,5 while also getting a little challenge xp. I am working on turning all of my fighting forces event runes and lower level dark arts runes into level 4&5 dark arts runes which I can use to get more xp from the fortress later at a higher chamber level.

@DubiousAffairs I saw your posts on another thread and thought you might be interested in this take on the event. Was easiest to add you to this post than try to refer to it or rehash it.