The continued spellbook saga

GingerSnake66GingerSnake66 Posts: 6 ✭✭
in Feature Requests #1 latest comment 17 May, 2020, 01:19 am.

Can the game designers please start listening to us about the minuscule spellbook handouts the game gives? I have friends with 800+scrolls that cant get further in their lessons because they only have 12 spellbooks! I thought I was having a tough time with 150-200 scrolls and only 5 books🤣😜..I am not saying make it supper easy but seriously how about adding more spell books as you level or rank up each 10th level or start after a certain rank level doing like 3 scrolls and a spellbook?

Comments

• kiheikidkiheikid Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #218 October, 2019, 04:54 am.

two words ... profit center

• WerewolfChaserWerewolfChaser Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    #318 October, 2019, 09:05 am.

Oh dear, I have 2,416 unused scrolls atm. I have spent plenty of them on the other two professions as well. I have 11 red books but need 17 for my next training. Then it goes up to 21 and 25 books per training lesson.

I find it too overwhelming to contemplate so I've accepted the fact that I'll be a lifelong student. I'll probably die with unfinished lessons.

I'm also lamenting spending approx 75 red books on skills that now require green books. That's an extra 131,250 challenge xp I require just due to the change.

I'm just not going to do it.

• GinnungagapGinnungagap Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019 #418 October, 2019, 10:16 am.

@WerewolfChaser I take it that it changed from red to green after the beta? They do seem to be slowly coming around as we started getting them as rewards in events which certainly helps. My wife and I will have to move our trip down under up so we can play with you hehehe.

#518 October, 2019, 12:19 pm.

@Ginnungagap That would be great!

And yes, the book change happened just prior to global release.

• DogoutlawDogoutlaw Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #618 October, 2019, 03:36 pm.

@WerewolfChaser I was thinking about you with your scroll cache! I’m in the 1000’s now, still nowhere close to you. I’m hoping this last event was signs of good things to come to help out everyone, especially you beta players.

#718 October, 2019, 05:08 pm.

@Dogoutlaw Our mystery items found achievement still shows at two!

• DogoutlawDogoutlaw Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #818 October, 2019, 06:06 pm.

@WerewolfChaser no way!!!! Omg, seems like that should be such as easy fix!!

• G1MM3450CKG1MM3450CK Posts: 14 ✭✭
    #908 April, 2020, 07:22 am.

They should REALLY buff the RB gains when you pass a certain challange level OR give us a daily task that gives a bit of challange exp just like they give out 4 scrolls a day.

That Niantic won't give us a RB a day would sound normal for their doing but atleast a bit of challange exp a day would be a nice add for quality of life.

• Magpie31Magpie31 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1008 April, 2020, 07:30 am.

@Sectemsempra It has got a lot better, though. We now get 3 red books a month as a reward, plus red books are regularly rewards in brilliant events now. I will get enough books this month to finish my skill tree without having to go near a fortress. So they are listening and adapting.

(54 words)

• OriginalCarusoOriginalCaruso Posts: 502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1108 April, 2020, 08:01 am.

@Sectemsempra - Stick with it, you will get all the books you need in time. Scrolls won’t be an issue, I (and many others) have over 6000 and no use for them

Finishing the lesson plan is one achievement and we await the next lesson plan but are not holding our breath right now

• Milliebob13Milliebob13 Posts: 73 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020 #1208 April, 2020, 09:18 am.

I’m so glad we are getting a decent amount of red books in this brilliant event.

I have 11 red books and two lessons of 17 each left to do. 5999 scrolls 😂and 150 green books.

if it was easy it wouldn’t be much of an achievement.

unfortunately, due to lock down I can’t bash the fortresses like I used to when I was getting close to finishing a lesson. Will just have to be patient.

• LucoireLucoire Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1308 April, 2020, 09:57 am.

Unpopular opinion: it is a gaming-industry best practice that the further you progress in a game, the slower your progress gets.

#1408 April, 2020, 10:19 am.

@Lucoire - We both know the levelling system goes back a very long way - possibly E Gary Gygax / Dave Arneson were the first to codify formally. And for each level gained there is a corresponding increase in ability of some form

WU has implemented a variant where lesson plan completion determine ability increase where Level seems to reduce capture resistance

The split kinda makes sense but I believe the developers were compromised in developing the combat system. Also, I suspect the law of unintended consequences is at play where the number of scrolls players have obtained far exceeds their expectations, coupled with the hover of red and green books it’s a complete mess

• KodokmagKodokmag Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭✭
    #1508 April, 2020, 10:40 am.

Still need more than 100 spellbook for my magizoo. 😅

#1608 April, 2020, 06:37 pm.

@OriginalCaruso I'm close to 11,000 scrolls now. I'll trade for loo paper and hand sanitiser!

#1708 April, 2020, 07:08 pm.

@WerewolfChaser - nearly twice as many scrolls as I have... you are doing rather too well in preparing for the coming zombie apocalypse I think...

• KeybounceKeybounce Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    #1808 April, 2020, 10:07 pm.

- We both know the levelling system goes back a very long way - possibly E Gary Gygax / Dave Arneson were the first to codify formally. And for each level gained there is a corresponding increase in ability of some form

The issue is that the D&D system of increasing XP per level was accompanied by increasing XP from appropriate-level encounters. The rate of growth did not slow down that much, and even if the XP requirement doubled, the time did NOT.

Here? XP only increases when you prestige a page, and most pages are blocked by uncontrollable fortress blockage and lots and lots of duplicates. Lots and lots of duplicates. Lots and lots of duplicates. Lots and ...

(Also, if you are thinking of three booklets + greyhawk, remember that originally started as miniature-based combat RPG. Heck, the original books compared your character to the army-equivalent that your miniature figure was equivalent to. The greyhawk supplement was the first actual "no longer tied to miniatures leading armies" of the game. ... Guess when I started playing :-)

#1909 April, 2020, 04:34 am.

@Keybounce - XP increases for every foundable places not just every page prestiged

Ingress XP rates are likewise fixed per action

In AD&D progression as per the written rules there are 3 components for XP - the monster value, treasure in GP and a 10% bonus for having a high ability score. However, the DM has autonomy in deciding to award XP as they wish and sticking to the above formula does not reward good roleplay, clever use of character skills or problem solving

I started playing AD&D in 1980 and have started a 1st edition campaign recently. Never played D&D (Basic set)

For the reasons stated above, the games I played in or ran as DM did not have linear progression, our game style evolved beyond the core XP rules otherwise we would have been limited to hack and slash

• KeybounceKeybounce Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    #2009 April, 2020, 04:42 am.

When I played AD&D (I don't remember which version), the fundamental "Strangeness" came from realizing that your XP depended more on treasure collected than anything else.

At first this seemed strange.

Then I realized: A cleric getting donations for their church was getting XP for the gold. A thief stealing stuff was getting XP for the gold.

It was actually BETTER balanced that way. After all, why should your skill at god-given healing, or slight-of-feet sneakyness, be based on your ability to ****.

[quote]XP increases for every foundable placed not just every page prestiged[/quote]

Oh? i have only noticed increases when I prestige a page, and that's what the in-game notice says -- prestiging will reset the page but give more XP per.

• BenTigerBenTiger Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020 #2109 April, 2020, 06:28 am.

The struggle is real

#2209 April, 2020, 07:02 am.

Depends upon how the DM chooses to reward players

Personally I am of the view rewarding XP for killing monsters is a crude measure. AD&D is a role playing game so IMHO role playing is important - my experience is with 1st edition

The latest version 5th edition (5e) is more aligned to a video game and again IMHO is all the poorer for it

• G1MM3450CKG1MM3450CK Posts: 14 ✭✭
    #2309 April, 2020, 07:03 am.

@Magpie31 true dah we do got a few other ways of obtaining RB and with the Covid19 crisis they are adapting in a good way but still it's a bit to low for those who struggle with it for example rurial players who don't have a fortress in sight for miles. Alot of us also don't have anyone in our towns to team up with which makes doing harder floors pretty near impossible and that almost totaly stop us in our tracks as we can't get a decent chal exp payout

• Magpie31Magpie31 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #2413 April, 2020, 05:25 pm.

@Sectemsempra I also don't have any teammates, despite living in a city. I still plug away at forest chambers, using higher runestones. Would still be a nightmare for aurors and magizoologists, but I think it is reasonable for professors.

(39 words)

• SkaanaSkaana Posts: 92 ✭✭✭
    #2513 April, 2020, 06:05 pm.

While it is a true annoyance, @GingerSnake66, there are indeed ways to increase your Red spell book intake. (Hence aka, RSB)

As a Lvl 14 Auror, ( 92 books to go to complete my training) heres what Ive learned. ( Currently holding 2243 scrolls....jeepers!)

Examples:

1) Todays Daily treasure award was 1 RSB, and I see another coming in 8 days for 3 RSB

2) The current Brilliant event awards some, AND completing the Bonus assignment nets you 5 RSB

AND, past Brilliant events/ bonus assignments have awarded RSB

3) Accruing enough Challenge points earns you 2 RSB, every time you Rank up. But, the difficulty here is that the Total needed

to rank up is ALWAYS increasing, sometimes by a HUGE leap. Im at 111 on Challenges now for a hefty 2800 points.

It goes without saying you need to access a Fortress to accrue Challenge points. Not easy these days.

4). On occasion, Overcoming a Confoundable will reward you 1 RSB.

5). Completing the Achievement, Defeat 100 Elite foes nets you 7 RSB. At 1000 defeated you net 15

5). Keep in mind, I started playing in June 2019. I told myself then that this will be a LONG campaign.

Like our Elections cycle here is the USA, for example. ( actually that is a bad example. Our election cycle is now Un-ending).

What Im suggesting is patience on your part.... also in short supply.

6) Im sure Ive missed some other ways to get them... Cant seem to locate the link here, in my limited time to pontificate, lol.

Hope you enjoy the ride that this game is. Ive been terribly frustrated and overjoyed at the most surprising moments.

Losing out on a Forest 5 challenge when the timer expired, before I could get in that last hit? thumb down

Picking up the last Mrs Mcgonagle fragment outside my door, after 6 months of waiting? All thumbs UP.

@WerewolfChaser , what on GGE are you holding 11K's worth of scroll for? Wow does not approach the effort. Hats off mate!

• Dewin99Dewin99 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #2613 April, 2020, 06:17 pm.

@Skaana Bear in mind that RSB are (green) “Restricted Section Books”, gained from Brilliant Events, as opposed to SB (red) “Spell Books”, gained from Fortress Challenges.

#2714 April, 2020, 03:35 pm.

@Skaana , I have used as many scrolls in magizoo and professor as I can without using books.

I have so many Restricted Books because I was a beta player and used a LOT of Spell Books for skills that now require Restricted Books. I had to earn over 80 Spell Books, or over 150,000 more Challenge XP, more than a regular auror so I really felt the pain. Due to that pain I wish to stockpile books at this point to see what happens in the future.

I have never seen a Spell Book awarded for returning a foundable and I'm over 52k. You may be getting confused with gifts. The mysterious and beautiful almost mythical extravagant runestone gift. That contains a Spell Book with the runestone.

Here's my stash of runestones. I am hoping one day to be in hospital with a fortress in range of my bed to use them all! When travel restrictions ease there is always a chance that we'll camp in range of a fortress? This I know can happen as I've camped in range of Pogo gyms before.

I will never complain about how many runestones I have. Although they have been increasing at an alarming rate. This is the first event that I've achieved max rank during Part 1.

• MythicalMitchMythicalMitch Posts: 1 ✭✭
    #2817 April, 2020, 03:11 am.

Red spell books are always the problem. I just finished my Professor skill tree and have 47 green books and 2605 scrolls left over. I can't decide whether to grind for more red books and wait for more Professor lessons or start a new profession.

• OwlxOwlx Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #2917 April, 2020, 03:49 am.

@MythicalMitch I'm team hoarder

But there's a great wutuber and he covers fast track to full power 2nd professions

Happy Pottering

Stay safe and well

• SkaanaSkaana Posts: 92 ✭✭✭
    #3018 April, 2020, 12:02 am.

Thanks @Dewin99 , I was aware of the 'controversy' of nomenclature for spell books.

I felt since we were discussing red books, and, that I went to trouble to point out which color of book I was referring too in my post, that would be sufficient. I dont agree with the RSB rubric being green.... sorry Im just another non-conforming outlier!

RSB. red spell book

RSSB. restricted section spell book ? nah forget it... no one will go for this

ill keep it red sauce and green sauce. yeaH! thats it.

Thanks also@WerewolfChaser , I now understand the Bonus and the Burden of being a 'beta' player.

It really seems like a nice problem to have.

Good luck every body tonight for the Event. Im aiming to Prestige that darn Central Park frame. 4 Pickets and 3 Murtlaps to go.

May all your casts land Great and be First cast success!

• RavenPuff8RavenPuff8 Posts: 8 ✭✭
    #3106 May, 2020, 09:25 pm.

How about a mechanism for trading scrolls for spell books? Maybe 50 scrolls for a red spell book and 200 scrolls for a restricted section spell book?