Suggestion: Oddity Encounters and Special Abilities

GinnungagapGinnungagap Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭
in Wizarding Challenges + Professions #1 latest comment 01 November, 2019, 10:55 pm.

I believe that all generalized special abilities (+5 power when x condition is met) should be active in oddity encounters. Support classes whose specialties require focus in the fortress cannot use their true strength. For instance professors may gain power with a greater enhancement. These are generally awarded by skills using focus which they may even normally cast in the fortress before engaging anything. If it requires focus, the ability should be automatically active in oddity traces.

Comments

• TimofeefBTimofeefB Posts: 4 ✭✭
    #214 October, 2019, 11:25 am.

From that it would follow that everything involving focus should be supported in oddity battles, like strategic spells such as deterioration hex and the consumption of invigoration potions.

In my opinion, the would make oddity battles more like individual fortress battles, instead of the light-weight wilderness battles they should be. So, respecfully disagreeing with you opinion, maybe go the other way, nothing involving focus should apply to oddity battles, including abilities like "Become the Beast".

It should be one of either ways, not the fustercluck we currently have, where a magi deals with curiosities in oddity battles easier and faster than a professor (who has proficiency against curiosities) of comparable skill level.

• GinnungagapGinnungagap Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭
    #314 October, 2019, 01:13 pm.

@TimofeefB I think you can draw the line at active vs passive. If it is an active skill you can't use it in oddity encounters, if it is passive, it should count. It makes for a very easy distinction logically and likely in the code.

• LucoireLucoire Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #425 October, 2019, 10:24 pm.

Professors are severely handicapped when it comes to oddities. That's frustrating... but consider this:

Professors are a setup-class. If I look at the class-fantasy (or at least what I believe the class fantasy to be), Professors are the type that study their enemies for two days before the battle, then set up traps and jinxes on the battlefield for 3 hours, then channel a spell for 12 minutes while the enemy is still unaware of them... resulting in the battle being over before it even began.

Professors are the gods of preparation. They're the masters of manipulating and changing the battlefield to their advantage.

That's why they excell in Fortresses.

In Fortresses WE are the attackers. We are the raiders, the ambushers.

Oddity-Encounters however... well, I see them as situations where enemies ambush us. Ergo: no preparation, no setup.

What I could imagine - to even the odds - is to make proficiency work for oddities.

• DubiousAffairsDubiousAffairs Posts: 235 ✭✭✭
    #525 October, 2019, 10:28 pm.

There is preparation, more and more of it as we see each Oddity, for the reason that the multiples are Fragments of each Foundable, and each encounter is the same. They're not different Death Eater Oddities, they're the same person, like a scratched record. They don't learn, but we do.

• ProfessorHullProfessorHull Posts: 9 ✭✭
    #601 November, 2019, 09:14 pm.

I think we should be able to use all of our fortress abilities to face down oddities. I mean, it's not like I'm gonna forget how to cast a deterioration hex just because I'm in the wild.

I also think it is a bit of a joke, both for a Death Eater to be able to hit me with 10+ curses and for me to still have stamina after, and for a freaking dragon to have less stamina than I do.

I think the charms/hexes should be different though. Perhaps, instead of using 'focus,' a deterioration hex could use up 10 spells worth of energy, and my turn. Then, I have to wait for my next turn to curse the oddity.

Maybe to make it more like a surprise encounter, and because the oddity can't run away, we should be unable to use potions during oddity encounters, because we can't have prepared by getting potions ready.

• kiheikidkiheikid Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019 #701 November, 2019, 10:55 pm.

a det hex takes away 40 pts per spell

in what world would that be worth 10 offensive spells to give up in an oddity trace encounter in the wild ?!?! no way! you might be casting 10 offensive spells against a single foe in the higher dark chambers of a fortress, but no oddity trace encounter in the wild is that powerful. and some spells-for-det.hex ratio does not translate to regular non-oddity encounters where you are casting spells to defeat a confoundable with no specific stat numbers to figure out pricing