Invulnerability, Fortresses and math

LucoireLucoire Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
edited October 9 in Wizarding Challenges + Professions #1 latest comment 10 October, 2019, 11:42 pm.

This thread will contain Math. If that triggers, frightens or irritates you, consider yourself warned.

Damage

First, a couple of Basic knowledge:

• Several of your stats are written as percentages but in general, those are used differently in formulas. To properly use them, they are transformed into a float-representation by dividing them by hundred - eg. 101% would be transformed into 1.01 and 49% would be transformed into 0.49
  • Percentages have "caps" meaning the result of a certain portion of the formula can never be higher than 100% and never be lower than 0%. Some however only have 1 limit, meaning that they can be higher than 100% but not lower than 0%

Power

In general, damage in Fortresses is based on the power of the actor - be it you during your phase or the enemy during theirs. That power depends on the base stats but can be enhanced by passive abilities (like Magizooligists BECOME THE BEAST or Professors IDEAL EXCHANGE ). Additional situational power can come from Buffs like Magizoologists "Bravery Charm".

Proficiency and Deficiency

If you're proficient against your enemy, that number then is multiplied by subtraction of your "Proficiency Power" (already including Buffs like professor's "Proficiency Charm") and your enemies "Deficiency Power".

ProficiencyFactor = 1 + MAX(0, ProficiencyPower-EnemyDeficiencyDefence)

(that means that it will never be lower than 1 but might be higher than 2. Also this factor will be 1 if there is no proficiency-pairing between you and your enemy)

If you're not proficient against your enemy that factor looks like this:

ProficiencyFactor = 1

(boring, huh?)

Defence and Defence Breach

That is the multiplied by the Subtraction of your Defence and your enemies Deficiency Defence.

DefenceFactor = 1 - CAP(0, 1, EnemyDefence-DefenceBreach)

(that means that this factor can be zero or one or anything in between. For example, if your enemy has 125% defence and you only have 5% defence breach, your enemy is effectively invulnerable)

Crit

Crit is interesting as it contains of 2 parts:

• Determining whether a crit happened
  • Determining how much more damage your spell did

This post will not look at the first part.

If a Crit happened, then the previously computed value is then multiplied by your Critical Power:

CritFactor = CriticalPower

If you didn't score a Crit, that factor would just be 1.

Summary

Putting all of that together then looks something like this

Damage = Power * ProficiencyFactor * DefenceFactor * CritFactor

Now for the interesting part (and that teaser of invulnerability):

If any of those are ZERO, the damage done would be Zero too. And it so happens that one of those factors CAN actually be zero for the damage-computation of your enemy: the Defence-Factor.

IF you managed to Increase your own defence to above 100% AND make sure that your enemy does NOT have sufficient Defence-Breach, then your defence would be 100% (due to the capping). That would result in the DefenceFactor of your enemy to look like this:

DefenceFactor = 1 - CAP(0, 1, 1.01-0) = 1 - 1 = 0

Which then reduces the Damage of your Enemy to Zero.

Now let's look at it practicly:

Magizoologists can raise their Defence to 71% (50% from base stats, +6% when at or above 50% Stamina, +15% when at or above 5 Focus):

0.5 + 0.06 + 0.15 = 0.71

Professors' Protection Charm can increase that by an additional 30% - which is ADDED and not multiplied, resulting in 101%:

0.71 + 0.3 = 1.01

Aurors' Confusion Hex can reduce the Enemies Defence Breach by up to 60% (which AFAIK is more than any Enemy currently in the game)

ERGO: A sufficiently powerful and coordinated Team of Magizoologist, Professor and Auror can create temporary invulnerability.

Comments

• AcumenAcumen Posts: 653 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 9 #209 October, 2019, 03:31 pm.

Nice, @Lucoire. I've heard about this, but never saw it explained so eloquently. I have one local Magizoologist (LVL 27) and one local Auror (LVL 33) who are still actively playing the game, but haven't done any challenges with them yet. I don't know where they're at on profession rank. The only other local player that I do occasionally team up with is a Professor who is at player level 39 and profession rank 12, just like me. I need to coax the Magi and Auror to come out and play sometime.

• Dewin99Dewin99 Posts: 84 ✭✭
    #309 October, 2019, 07:45 pm.

@lucoire Wow! Eye opening data, thanks for the valuable information.

Now if I could only find someone within a 60 mile radius!

• ImaginatioImaginatio Posts: 198 ✭✭✭
    #409 October, 2019, 08:46 pm.

@Lucoire Wow 😯I was thinking of which 15 green book skill to unlock next from the bottom of the Magizoologist skill tree, now I think I may go for ‘A bird in hand’, which I will do after the second half of the Brilliant event. Then I just need to find a professor and an auror.

• LucoireLucoire Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    #510 October, 2019, 08:19 pm.

Interesting Sidenote: the only Fortress-Enemies with a Defence-Breach greater than ZERO are Werewolves and Dark Wizards of Rank 2 or higher.

• Erklings+Pixies will, with greater Rank, merely increase their Dodge and Power
    • Death-Eaters+Acromantulas gain Stamina and Power

So if you keep that in mind, you might not even need an Auror. That being said, the Professor might need Focus to cast the Protection Charm and for that an Auror can be a very welcome source.

(and today the Auror of our Group said that he defeated a Dark Wizard of more than 3k stamina in 3 attacks... paper-deathstars par excellence)

• GinnungagapGinnungagap Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
    edited October 10 #610 October, 2019, 08:43 pm.

@Lucoire as an Auror, I have base power of 100 (maxed). I have 101% crit with 50% boost for first hit. I also have 148% proficiency power.

100(power) * 2.51(initial crit) * 2.48(prof power) *2.5 (magizoo elite bonus) = 1556.

100 * 2.01 (secondary crit) *2.48 *2.5 = 1246.

This means in three hits on an elite I can do a little over 4000 damage on dark forces currently without the aid of an additional potion. I would throw in professors proficiency charm for the extra 44% proficiency power, but I don't play with them that often.

#710 October, 2019, 08:47 pm.

If I wasn't a nigh-invulnerable Magizoologist, I would be frightened of you, @Ginnungagap 😅

#810 October, 2019, 09:06 pm.

@Lucoire

Magizoo vs elite erkling.

134(power) * 2.48 (proficiency power) * 2.5 (elite bonus) * 1.98 (crit) = 1644

Even with the lower crit damage, your total damage output potential essentially even (I don't have 19% of my potential crit yet so didn't include it in the above). The balance is that magizoos crit slightly less often and have higher stamina/defense. Criticals are finicky beasts though. Although I am supposed to crit 35% of the time, I can go through a werewolf with over 1500 health without getting a single crit. It is annoying.

#910 October, 2019, 10:22 pm.

@Ginnungagap

I think we should stop throwing around big damage numbers if we don't want to make the Professors cry 😉

(ps.: With a defence of 71% and a protego power of 49% I reduce all incoming damage by about 85%... which - combined with 525 Stamina and 109 Power - makes me a nightmare in duels)

#1010 October, 2019, 11:03 pm.

@Lucoire actually for professors...

113 (base power) * 2.5 (proficiency power) * 2.5 * (elite bonus) * 2.11 (crit) = 1490

They are not far off, they have higher base power than magizoo (who get an extra 25 power vs erklings only). They have higher crit and crit rate than magizoo. They also can get 74% defense (without defense charm!) with a 45% protego power. Their defense + defense charm is greater than 100% meaning they can make themselves invincible vs foes without defense breach.

A lot of their abilities are contingent, but not particularly difficult to attain the contingency on their own. In fact I believe only the 12 power from 3+ impairments is not attainable on their own. Pretty much everything else they can start with by using a baruffio and casting defense charm at the start of the battle.

• AcumenAcumen Posts: 653 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1110 October, 2019, 11:26 pm.

On behalf of all of us who haven't bothered to work out any of these details, thank you. This is a great thread.

#1210 October, 2019, 11:42 pm.

@Acumen anytime. I can't help but do all the calculations to try to figure out the most efficient path through lol.