Why can’t we take AR Photos of the Foundables we have already placed in the Registry?

malcomjuddmalcomjudd Posts: 1
in General Questions #1 latest comment 04 October, 2021, 06:55 am.

I would love to take AR Photos of the Brilliant Foundables for Tomorrow’s Brilliant event please!

Comments

• aceace Posts: 15 ✭✭
    #203 July, 2019, 02:14 am.

You can unlock the AR photo feature for many Foundables. Look for the camera icon beside them. Some require multiple captures to unlock.

• 18Jaleita8718Jaleita87 Posts: 1
    #318 July, 2019, 10:06 pm.

That's my doubt too. It allows some foundables, some not. I wanted a pic of a baby hippogryph, but no chance for an AR pic of him...

• IbearpawIbearpaw Posts: 1
    edited September 30 #430 September, 2021, 09:54 pm.

We can take an AR photo of a pokemon during capture and place afterward from our collection with only one catch. Why does Niantic not do the same with Wizards Unite (WU)? It would be interesting to hear Niantic's reasoning on this. My best guess is that it is for a replayability factor. You have to have something for witches and wizards to work toward. Having small attainable goals of capturing 5/5 fragments for image placement is doable. Much better than coming out and saying 90/90. It would be nice to have a guide that shows how many times an image has to be placed before there is access to the AR photo feature. Please reply if anyone has seen something like this.

There is a constant push to hashtag PG photos and share. Is there a licensing issue? Seems like they are missing out on an opportunity to market the game by restricting foundable photos.

• HalloMamiHalloMami Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    #501 October, 2021, 06:28 am.

I'm pretty sure it is a cost thing. They probably need to create new models/graphics for the function that probably not that many people are interested in in the first place.

• Expelliarma7Expelliarma7 Posts: 158 ✭✭✭
    #601 October, 2021, 12:59 pm.

I’ve just started spending time on Discord (yes I’m a Discord newbie) and in one of the HP servers, people share **AMAZING** A/R photos!

I’m becoming a bit obsessed, and also curious … am I not able to access photo mode with foundables that are starred? Or is it just that some images aren’t available for photo mode in general? (due to licensing issues, or as @HalloMami said, a cost issue)

• HalloMamiHalloMami Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    #704 October, 2021, 06:55 am.

@Expelliarma7: Yes, only a fraction of foundables is available for AR photos. You can find a list e.g. here:

Not sure how up-to-date the list is.

Frankly, I didn't realize that you couldn't take photos of each foundable until they advertised in some patch notes that "now this-and-that foundable can be used for AR photos". But that was a long time ago, I don't think they added more in a while...