[Investigating] App may freeze when ranking up a Registry Family

in Known Issues #1 latest comment 12 October, 2019, 05:46 pm.

Our team is investigating an issue where the app freezes when the rank up meter for Registry Families reaches 100/100. To temporarily resolve this issue, please restart the Harry Potter: Wizards Unite app. After restarting, visit that Registry page and you should see that your rank did correctly increase and the Family Runestones and Scrolls will automatically be rewarded to your account.

Comments

• edited September 26 #226 September, 2019, 09:33 pm.

@kiheikid @ZookiTabooki @Jeroenix @MiSchroeGeest Please follow this thread for updates. If you are unsure that the scrolls/Runestones were credited to your account, reach out to in-app support(Include which Family page and the time that this occurred) and they can confirm this or credit if needed.

• ZookiTabookiZookiTabooki Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 27 #327 September, 2019, 01:50 am.

@HPWULola Thank you for the consideration. I am happy to report, following the first two families that froze on me I was able to rank up eight families as intended and without issue. This issue appears to have been resolved for both my wife and I (IP8 & IP10). May my fellow wizards find similar good fortune!

edit: maybe I spoke too soon, my wife Eve just informed me it's happening again. Sigh. We'll get there together, eventually. 😀

• kiheikidkiheikid Posts: 242 ✭✭
    #427 September, 2019, 03:03 am.

so, this afternoon, i ranked up twice, first in oddities and later in wonders of wizarding world

first time, oddities registry hit 100 and app froze there. i could not even exit the page by hitting “x” at bottom. (see first screenshot) (edit: crap, forum says i have not been here long enough to attach links or photos ??)

had to do hard re-boot of my iphone

when i powered back up the iphone and entered app, and registry, the oddities page already showed 11/100 of next rank without showing the animation of the scrolls and runestone coming out of trunk, and comparison of my runestones in vault showed i received an oddities level 4 runestone that was not there as of last night when i took a screenshot

second rank-up was for wonders of wizarding world, and app properly showed the animation for the scrolls and www runestone level 3 coming out of trunk with no freezing of page or of the app itself

wish i could include screenshots here at this time

#527 September, 2019, 07:21 am.

placed an image in magizoology registry (young graphorn) page with silver prestige frame that resulted in rank up from rank 23

app froze when counter hit 100/100

no choice but to do hard re-boot of iphone

that is on vid 1 screen recording

then rebooted, entered WU app, hit confirm, and started screen recording vid 2, which shows magizoology page with new rank 24 and family xp score of 18/100 (consistent with 30 family xp reward for placing image onto silver prestige framed page)

vid2 continues to show my going into vault to find new magizoology runestones for levels 2, 3, and 4 whereas before rank up, i had only the levels 2 and 4 runestones. have screenshots of before and after magizoology runestones.

but no ability to post vids and screenshots here, which is why i am tapping out this long description. hoping you already have enough “evidence” from others who posted here, so you can fix this abominable bug

—-

as a separate bug in need of fix, the app is still automatically returning to map without showing rewards after successful trace & return of foundable message - despite my NOT touching the screen after last trace. some of us actually prefer having the animated sequence ending in the rewards summary graphic !!! the quality of the gaming experience has gone into toilet since update 2.4.0 while these 2 bugs persist

if your stock were publicly traded, i totally would short it right now

• SumaHanSumaHan Posts: 56 ✭✭
    #627 September, 2019, 08:21 am.

@ZookiTabooki , did the chosen one juat return an oddities foundable? 😀.

Yes, the Trigger of no-summary-screen bug is an oddities encounter.( By own experience)

If youre on no-summary-screen bug, do not open your registry. The " exit the game and clear memory cache then restart game" always works for me. I dont know how to do it with an IP though.

Do test by catching a non-oddities trace. If you get a summary screen, i believe its save to open your registry page.

#727 September, 2019, 08:48 am.

cannot remember for sure, but it could have been a centaur that triggered it

will try to keep track, next time, even though i di not want a next time

thanks

#827 September, 2019, 08:49 am.

wait, it was a horned serpent - bingo

#927 September, 2019, 10:14 am.

sumahan is correct. thank you

1 - returned pixie; rewards page showed

but next

2 - returned weasley clock; no rewards page

then

3 - returned baby niffler; no rewards page

so

4 - rebooted

and

5 -returned bogrod; rewards page showed

——

we cannot avoid doing oddities traces even if they are the trigger (possibly) of this bug

#1027 September, 2019, 10:46 am.

I never suggested to avoid oddities, @kiheikid . That @WerewolfChaser would kill me if i did 😄.

I only need to make separate session to update registry page.

Actually, i "like" this bug. It makes catching traces even quicker. Imagine the xp i can get with a brain elixir + skip-animation and no-summary-screen combined. It is Too Fast for me to be Furious 😁.

I hope you can find a "way" to enjoy this update..

• ZookiTabookiZookiTabooki Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭
    #1127 September, 2019, 12:14 pm.

@SumaHan Thank you for the suggestion. We tested this theory this morning and found it isn't restricted to oddities, as other families are having the same effect. FYI

edited September 27 #1227 September, 2019, 12:32 pm.

*sigh... Another moderation...

Really @ZookiTabooki ? Thats strange... It's always an oddities trace triggered the bug for me.

Edit :

I just caught 6 oddities and the summary screen stayed. I thought theyve fixed it.

7th oddities kicked me back to map..... 😅

Post edited by SumaHan on
    #1327 September, 2019, 04:59 pm.

just caught horned serpent, with reward summary

then immediately caught gobstones, with suro-return to map but no rewards summary

so that was an oddity trigger

(and first instance of this bug since i started playing this morning, about 45 mins ago, after i intentionally left iphone turned off for the night to ensure cold start to the game)

now off to re-boot in hopes of getting the reward summary back

• Belgarion66Belgarion66 Posts: 2
    #1427 September, 2019, 05:14 pm.

Just to try to add to the diagnostic efforts:

I caught a Centaur, did not get the "Returned" dialog before going into the reward summary, next catch result in no reward summary and back to the map.

Restarted the phone.

Caught another Centaur, did not get the "Returned" dialog before going into the reward summary. Immediately closed the app, went into the "Apps" tool and force-closed the app. Launched the app again and caught a Flobber Worm with no issue... reward summary worked as expected.

• MagusAnimagusMagusAnimagus Posts: 18 ✭✭
    #1527 September, 2019, 05:43 pm.

Happened to me immediately after the update but didn't after I excited and tried again. Still happens sporadically, the most recent incident occurring just now. I did receive the credits for the rank ups though.

• Llamaluv05Llamaluv05 Posts: 1 ✭✭
    #1630 September, 2019, 12:19 am.

This is happening to me., but I am unsure if I am getting my runestones/scrolls because the rewards page is not popping up. When I reopen the app it is just further on the next rank.

#1730 September, 2019, 03:53 am.

ranked up two different times today in exploration registry and also once in challenge registry, each time with rank up animation showing rewards (scrolls plus runestone for former; red books for latter) and no freezing by app and no re-booting by me for this rank up bug (i still re-booted after oddity foundable wins to get reward animation to show)

did rank up bug get fixed or was i merely lucky today ??

• PaulgoPaulgo Posts: 2
    #1830 September, 2019, 06:07 am.

Hi, 

I managed to capture a video and hope it help the investigation.  

https:// photos.app.goo.gl/fKMYrE1F1SwTXrBo7

The video shows

- before catch Oddities, XP = 279,181

- after catch Oddities, no reward summary

- next catch Hogwarts, ask to reboot ( only some times...most of the time just no reward summary screen )

- restart app, XP remain at 279,181

#1903 October, 2019, 05:32 am.

this evening i ranked up in hogwarts 9&3/4 from 98/100 to 100/100

decided to take a chance and, instead of first rebooting iphone, just opened registry right away

rank up with no problems, and 4 scrolls plus a level 1 runestone

did the bug get fixed (without security patch that we have to download) or did i just get lucky ?

#2003 October, 2019, 05:24 pm.

update:

just captured a horned serpent during “dawn”

was at 90/100

for “science”, decided to not reboot first and instead go straight to registry

screen froze and app locked up at 100/100 on my oddities page in tegistry

so now i had to do hard reboot

when i went back into app, my oddities page in registry was at 05/100, and there was a new oddities runestone in vault and 4 new scrolls too

so i was lucky before, but not just now

• BormacskaBormacska Posts: 113 ✭✭✭
    #2103 October, 2019, 07:25 pm.

@kiheikid I believe you and someone else @Acumen possibly? We're right about the glitch having to do with the oddities. I almost always have to reboot the game post-oddity catch, but rarely post anything else for family leveling.

#2204 October, 2019, 12:50 am.

thank you bormacska for saying so

it was pretty discouraging when i first started posting about the bugs, because quite a few persons here were drowning out that alert with their own praises of the update’s intended changes, nevermind that the baby is thrown out with the bath water

i also actually had wondered whether developer-affiliated individuals using pseudonyms were blanketing the threads with praises (and/or reports of no issues) to intentionally drown out or discredit the complaints as an outlier experience (if so, this would not be the first place that such a practice occurs)

until fixed (if ever), the 2.4.0 update is a painful and massive failure in my view. having to reboot my iphone during gameplay, at least 10 times a day (because i still am collecting oddities and/or ranking up), interrupts the flow and joy of the game that i used to experience

:-(

• GinnungagapGinnungagap Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
    #2304 October, 2019, 09:30 am.

@Bormacska @Kihaku@kiheikid

I posted this elsewhere, but I believe the rank glitch is related to The skip animation changes. I haven't had any issues ranking up on any pages now for several days. When I have the red dot, I tap to go to the registry and wait until the page starts changing to display the rewards again before touching or doing anything else.

@kiheikid I don't think anyone here is a Niantic person trying to drown out criticism. I do know that I and several others are software developers at other companies. As such we know how things like this can happen and may add to the perspective. The same may happen if someone worked as a waiter and went out with friends to eat somewhere. Then one of their friends complains about the waiter who brought them food that wasn't cooked right. I'm sure that you know more about the complexities and things that can go wrong in your occupation than those who consume/use what you do.

#2604 October, 2019, 07:09 pm.

seriously? i am being called out by name as abusive, when i wonder how/why there are such staunch defenders of a bug-riddled update and those responsible for unleashing it on us ?!?!

i have not called out anyone by name, sobjust exactly who is abusing whom?

you know who you are, and if you are not being paid to be a shill, maybe you should be

bye felicia

• BormacskaBormacska Posts: 113 ✭✭✭
    #2705 October, 2019, 05:24 am.

@Ginnungagap My only reason for agreeing with the oddities comment is simply because it seems to be (for me and my account) the only trigger to the bug. It also appears that my phone typing skills stink, and the inability to edit more than one hour out, causing my words to come across not exactly as I meant. Such is life in the digital world. 🙄 I will try to work on this particular skill in the future. I have never claimed to be a computer programmer and should know from my 30+ years on forums to just report bugs only and leave the troubleshooting to the professionals. My apologies.

Usually I do a trace and then put my phone down or by my side, sometimes forgetting that I should check, so for the first three days after the roll out I just figured I'd had a lot of disappearing confoundables!

@Acumen thanks for the tip, I will try that with the next oddity I come across!

Believe it or not, this is the first forum that I have been on in over three years, actually the first bit of social media I have participated in in that time as well and for the most part it has been positive. Sadly, the new update seems to have brought out much of the negativity that made me drop off the social media sites.

Now /rant/ on:

For the sake of all of us, please give the devs and programmers a chance to actually do their jobs, which, considering (according to the interwebs) there are approximately 600 employees total to run ingress, pokego, AND HPWU, that is not a lot of people to keep progressing the game and fix the multitude of issues. It takes time to run through the code. And if my interactions with other game developers is similar, there's a lot of it to go through to run the game.

Despite many of us live in first world areas, having everything happen and fixed immediately is also a first world problem. If the game is making you feel negative, put it down, go look at nature, take some time to live and take a few deep breaths. It is a game, not the end of your life. If you're that attached, then perhaps you can contact the makers and offer to contract to help them fix the bugs. If you are that impassioned about it but don't know a thing about how to program, perhaps you just found a new hobby to try. But for the sake of those of us looking for a friendly community to nerd out over a bit of silliness, please, please, please take it down a notch.

Thanks you.

/rant/ off

• GinnungagapGinnungagap Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
    edited October 5 #2805 October, 2019, 11:34 am.

@Bormacska Sorry it's hard for me to tell how what I say may come across some times. If you get to know me a little more you will find I say exactly what I mean, no hidden context. What you were saying with your experience is exactly right to share. I was trying to give those experiencing troubles a work around so they didn't have to continue experiencing issues. That's also why I attached multiple people experiencing troubles. Happy playing.

• Lumos999Lumos999 Posts: 2 ✭✭
    #2906 October, 2019, 11:26 am.

The app has been freezing on me every single time I rank up a registry family. This has been going on for a while now. I have to do a hard reboot each time this happens and can not confirm that I have received a runestone or scrolls as I don’t exactly keep a record. I guess I will start doing so. I just don’t understand why this is taking so long to diagnose and fix. I hope this issue is sorted out soon as it makes the game less enjoyable when you might not be rewarded for your efforts. I can certainly confirm my play time has decreased and I am a serious player who has both dropped money in the app and attended Fan Fest. Please resolve this issue.

• Trina83Trina83 Posts: 1
    #3008 October, 2019, 06:49 pm.

Rank 1 for the new Brilliant event froze and I did not receive anything for completion. Around 1:30 today. Rank 26 in challenges last night did not give me anything for completion. Froze at top score. Basically every time I should be able to open my trunks it freezes and does not give me the corresponding reward. I am getting ripped off of everything I complete, scrolls, ruinstones and spell books. This has been going on for about a week!

• ManateeMommaManateeMomma Posts: 7 ✭✭
    #3108 October, 2019, 11:11 pm.

I haven't been keeping track of the rest of the families, though I noticed my game is freezing when I level up, I'm at rank 5 for the Fighting Forces Brilliant Event, though I only have 4 runestones. Not sure what time it was. Android Samsung Note 9.