Please UN-nerf the greenhouses

LeFayeofAlbionLeFayeofAlbion Posts: 243 ✭✭✭
edited September 18 in App Feedback #1 latest comment 22 September, 2019, 08:49 pm.

Before, when I planted a seed, the one(1) yield would usually be 1 unit of the ingredient. As in, the number of potion ingredients that a single pick of the ingredient in the wild would grant. (Does that make any sense) AKA, if I had planted a snowdrop seed, then I’d get 3 snowdrops out of it without casting herbivicous. Now I get just 1. 1 glowy snowdrop near the greenhouse, not one unit.

This is especially frustrating with leaping toadstools because, not only is the grow time a full 24 hours, but I have to literally empty my entire spell energy wallet to get a decent yield.

I don’t understand why you changed this?

Can you do something?

Comments

• JulieJubzJulieJubz Posts: 548 ✭✭✭✭
    #218 September, 2019, 11:02 pm.

Was this ever a thing? I don't remember it being like that (not questioning you, just curious because I don't think I ever saw it do that! But that's cool if it was like that, wow, how did I miss it?)

#419 September, 2019, 12:35 am.

Oh man! I never knew that, I just thought people were getting it to full yield 😮

• DogoutlawDogoutlaw Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #519 September, 2019, 12:44 am.

I do know when I did a full yield of toadstools, I'd end up with 18 because each one I picked up was worth 2. But I haven't planted since the change to see what it's doing. When I planted scurvygrass recently, I did notice it was 1 per spawn, but didn't know what it was before to compare. I'm not sure how I feel about this to be honest. I maybe plant something with the intention of harvesting about 1-2 times a month. I don't brew every potion. The ones I do brew I tend to find the ingredients through map spawns or portkeys. In short, the change hasn't really affected me. But for those who do brew certain potions and/or rely more heavily on greenhouses, I can see this being an issue.

• LeFayeofAlbionLeFayeofAlbion Posts: 243 ✭✭✭
    #619 September, 2019, 01:08 am.

I have to grow toadstools if I ever want to brew Baruffio’s (yet I’m unable to do so with the lack of powdered dragon claws, unless I spend 20 gold)

There aren’t any inns near the greenhouse I usually grow things inn, so it feels like it just absolutely drains my energy even if I just want 2 and I can’t replenish it unless I walk a couple more kms to an inn. It might not seem like much, but my health is horrendous and I can’t always do it.

• ZookiTabookiZookiTabooki Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 19 #719 September, 2019, 11:49 am.

I didn't know about this change until now and I have to admit, this has me dumbfounded. With all the complaining about greenhouses, I fail to see how this nerf encourages players to further participate in this activity. I don't use greenhouses so I didn't notice the change. When did this happen? Now I'm pretty sure I owe my wife an apology for arguing with her the other day, about how many toadstool she should be getting from a crop. 🤨Just gonna shake my head and walk away now.

• AcumenAcumen Posts: 687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #819 September, 2019, 01:32 pm.

The first reports of the greenhouse nerf started coming in around 20 days ago, @ZookiTabooki. It's not a deal breaker for me because I generally never come close to running out of any ingredients, so I mostly plant just for the fun of it. Like you though, I just can't imagine how they arrived at this solution in response to all the complaints about greenhouses.

#919 September, 2019, 04:48 pm.

Yeah I was definitely gonna say that, I guess I didn't notice because I usually plant just for planting' sake (or rather, for the planting challenge/achievement). It's rare the times when I actually plant with the intention of picking up anything from it.

It would definitely be helpful for something like snowdrops! I mean, we need to use 6 of those in strong exstimulo potions, so only picking up 9 at the time is kind of a downer, especially since you gotta put so much energy down for full yields (I would know, since that's what I'm currently trying to do).

It really is an odd thing to nerf! It would be wonderful if they made it be like it used to, because then it would totally make more sense that we're using so much energy to get the full yield.

• LeFayeofAlbionLeFayeofAlbion Posts: 243 ✭✭✭
    #1019 September, 2019, 06:50 pm.

Thankfully I get a lot of snowdrops off the ground and through the plant shuffle in greenhouses. The only things I grow in greenhouses are toadstools and wormwood. Wormwood just takes an hour I think, so it’s fine, but with toadstools, you put in 50 spell energy and you get only 9 ‘max yirld’ Now. Good thing bitterroot is plenty in the wild. I can’t imagine going from 45 to 9 yield.

@Dogoutlaw scurvygrass has always been just one yield..

#1119 September, 2019, 07:44 pm.

@LeFayeofAlbion ah, OK. I just planted some toadstools this morning on my way to work, so if I make it back tomorrow to max yield, I'll be able to see myself on that one. Will be sad though if it's only 9 instead of 18...

• TitianiumTitianium Posts: 23 ✭✭
    #1219 September, 2019, 08:35 pm.

@Dogoutlaw You’re gonna be disappointed tomorrow... only 9

#1319 September, 2019, 11:27 pm.

@Titianium I know, I'm prepared for the disappointment... LOL

#1420 September, 2019, 10:28 pm.

Just following up to confirm with my experience. I picked up my max yield toadstools this morning. One toadstool per unit... :/ I have no idea why this would have been changed.

• ImaginatioImaginatio Posts: 264 ✭✭✭
    #1520 September, 2019, 11:15 pm.

I remember once when I got two toadstools when I picked one off the ground near a greenhouse but since it was a while ago, I thought I was dreaming. Then I saw this thread.

Not sure why it was changed, but it would be nice for it to go back to how it was.

• FireWandererFireWanderer Posts: 4
    #1622 September, 2019, 01:58 am.

Some ideas to give the players in exchange for the reduced number of crops returned:

1. Cheaper herbavicious prices, to encourage more investment in the yield.
    2. A difference between self-investment and community investment (i.e. investing energy in something someone else planted), leading to a higher yield than what can be accomplished by yourself.
    3. Reduced growth times.
    4. Make the amount of water a player holds not count against their seed repository size (alternatively: make it two water per seed slot).

Any thoughts? (if I had to just get one, I think #2 would be my first choice)

• AuroraKadavraAuroraKadavra Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1722 September, 2019, 10:35 am.

I thought i was going nuts! (I mean more nuts than i already am!) Lol. But the first time just 1 leaping toadstool came out i thought- that's odd?! Wasnt it always 2! Im sure it was' but then with my silly brain (I'm on quite a few meds for ptsd) i couldn't be sure so I just thought i must have remembered it wrong, but it's been hard to now have to use 50 spell energy to just get 9 toadstools. Then restock my energy for fortress. I work it into routine but now remember it was much easier before.

It's not a major thing, i do plant them every couple of days for baruffio cos ive never seen them on the map. But they did this intentionally? Why? I don't get it? Why make it so hard to grow a much needed crop that takes a full day to grow- tbh i just usually set it each day ready for the usual convenient time the next day. But for some that's not possible.

So I'm not major complaining here- but with your post @LeFayeofAlbion you've confirmed what i thought was right, it is less now. And why would they do that? Its discouraging to many people who can't get out often to greenhouses but still want to play in a smaller area around where they live like yourself. Feel for you!

• Arinn405Arinn405 Posts: 2 ✭✭
    #1922 September, 2019, 08:49 pm.

Well, now I have even less reason to start bothering with greenhouses. I’ve planted a random seed packet 1 time when the game first released to sort of see how things worked and haven’t touched them since except to pluck whatever random item it spits out when I happen to be stopped next to one.

Not all of us live where we can schedule a trip just to go back to a greenhouse. The whole system is entirely too much hassle to bother with for me (and I say this as someone who regularly heads out at all hours for HPWU and PoGo stuff) the need to plan my whole day around an invisible greenhouse 4 blocks away is asking a bit much.