In game Comms like Ingress has but without factions?

Thunder2kThunder2k Posts: 5 ✭✭
in App Feedback #1 latest comment 16 September, 2019, 05:41 pm.

It would be very helpful to have a way to talk to other players in our area but mine is rural and the towns small. I see greenhouses lit up all the time all over the nearest town but there is no way to contact the people who planted seeds so that we could maybe meet up.

Comments

• Osprey1Osprey1 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #213 September, 2019, 04:12 am.

Did you check our community map or place your own pin?

• JeroenixJeroenix Posts: 18 ✭✭
    #313 September, 2019, 07:36 am.

In-game chat isn't going to happen I think, they didn't do that with PoGo because the audience is of such variety (very young children and adults of all sorts of cultures) that it would introduce some problems.

You could also take note of how long a greenhouse plant takes to grow, and then hang around that spot at completion time; see who shows up to collect that 24hr plant. :)

You could also grow your own at set times a day. People will notice and might go to the same place.

• DubiousAffairsDubiousAffairs Posts: 208 ✭✭✭
    #413 September, 2019, 02:55 pm.

@Jeroenix The audience for the game, as it is made, should not be anyone under at least 16 (1). It involves going Om Knows Where at night, and has calls to microtransactions everywhere.

(1) and I personally don't feel like leaving a several-hundred-Euro device in the hands of a small child.

• DogoutlawDogoutlaw Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #513 September, 2019, 02:59 pm.

The App Store says the game is for ages 9+, so my assumption is there could be kids that young playing. It doesn’t mean they have a phone either since it could be played on an iPad or similar at home.

• LydiaMcWitchLydiaMcWitch Posts: 6 ✭✭
    #613 September, 2019, 03:09 pm.

Wont let me tag Osprey1... how do I find the community map? Would love to see if there are people near me to complete this last SOS task...!

#713 September, 2019, 03:13 pm.

@LydiaMcWitch to tag, put @ first before their name. For the map, see here:

https://community.harrypotterwizardsunite.com/en/categories/local-groups-and-events

• LydiaMcWitchLydiaMcWitch Posts: 6 ✭✭
    #813 September, 2019, 03:28 pm.

Thank you Dogoutlaw, I did @ but got the error message 'you have to be around for a little while longer before you can post links'.

Will check out the map now!

#913 September, 2019, 04:05 pm.

@LydiaMcWitch oh weird!! I wouldn’t have thought that would happen! Fyi, you should have a point now, so you should have two stars and be able to link in about a week. Feel free to make a pin on the map so others can find you, but if you want to link anything, you’ll need to wait til next week to do so. And welcome to the forum!

• eccenuxeccenux Posts: 3 ✭✭
    #1016 September, 2019, 08:48 am.

Problem with that map is that it is US centric and not really usefull for other countries. There is also a problems with communities not forming at all because there are groups of Enlightened Potters, PokemonGo Potters and similar. Groups evoling around Harry Potter alone don't seem to form in my neighbourhood (or I'm not aware of them).

You also cannot just spontaneously join a group that is out hunting dragons/werewolves or call for help in a fortress for players around. All this actually stops local communities from forming.

PS: And if you are talking about age seriously then take a look at videos from Fan Fest ;-). Most of the people are 30+ or 20+. HP premiere was a long time ago. Fans of the saga (even if they were kids back then) are mostly adults.

• eccenuxeccenux Posts: 3 ✭✭
    #1116 September, 2019, 08:57 am.

Also note that not everyone speaks English fluently or even well enough to communicate basic intents. This forum is not enough for most of the world to allow communities to grow. You need a local language, non-setup chat. Chat that is already there and allows people to just speak. Like the chat in Ingress. Having a map (or an action log) showing people around you are actually playing around you would also help in... Well... Uniting wizards into actual communities.

• AcumenAcumen Posts: 740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1216 September, 2019, 03:41 pm.

I'm with @eccenux on this. As far as I can tell, Ingress shares the same Terms of Service as PoGo and HPWU. If I'm wrong about that, let me know. If I'm right though, the arguments I've heard for why only Ingress includes in-app communication (most players are older) might make some philosophical sense, but it makes no legal sense whatsoever.

Implementing in-app communication would be a big help, and by verifying your age/identity through a social account, it should be easy to disable those features for minors. I've heard about chat within Ingress being a disaster initially due to spam bots and harassment. I believe they're more effective at spam filtering now though, and the threats and name-calling wouldn't be such an issue since players aren't in direct competition with each other.

I don't feel too strongly about it either way. I'm also a fan of simpler alternatives that don't include maps or chat, but still provide players with the ability to make it known that they're looking for other teammates in a fortress challenge.

• DigitalisDigitalis Posts: 185 ✭✭✭
    edited September 16 #1316 September, 2019, 05:26 pm.

there would have to be a way to mute and remove any instance of it from being in your face, and absolutely need to be a way to prevent other users from being able to see or interact with you.

absolutely need a way to be able to hide your location or the fact you are online if mapping is a thing. also for chat - dont show other people i am available for chat, especially if chat is based on a geographic area.

@Acumen i have no social media accounts, does that mean i can no longer play wizards because i do not use some unrelated third party service? this is a bad plan. no, i will not create any social media accounts - if i have to choose between playing this game or not having a social media account...choice is no choice at all, the wizarding world will have one less player in it.

technically speaking a bulletin board service is social media - this very message board. that should be enough. this board uses my in game account, is administered by those providing the game, and requires no third party accounts or services to use.

requiring third party services to use the game is a quick way to lose revenue and players.

what happens when someone is banned or prohibited from using that third party service, they lose their account in wizards too?

what if someone does not agree to the terms and conditions of that third party service, or if those terms and conditions change?

there are a whole host of reasons why using a third party service as a requirement for your standalone thing are a bad idea.

• DigitalisDigitalis Posts: 185 ✭✭✭
    #1416 September, 2019, 05:41 pm.

dont get me wrong though...

- if chat was not obligatory, but optional and completely hidden if you disable it,

- if it did not require some arbitrary third party service players may not be able to use,

- if a players online status and location could be completely hidden,

then i would be all for it.