YasheoYasheo Posts: 12 ✭✭
in Brilliant Events #1 latest comment 05 July, 2019, 03:24 pm.

Everybody understands UTC. Events spanning multiple timezones should use UTC and Fixed Time.

A countdown clock, though it appears "universal" is also confusing. A Fixed Time in UTC is simpler and direct to the point and is understood widely.

Using timezones affected by DST is also confusing for the majority of your target market. Example, the mixing of "Asia-Pacific" and "AEST". Majority of the population in "Asia-Pacific" are in Asia and of those, only Mongolia uses DST. Majority doesn't know what AEST is, what's DST of Australia, and majority are in UTC+7 and UTC+8 not UST+10/11.

By the way, India is part of "Asia-Pacific" too.

The Brilliant Event announcement is another example. A fixed time shouud have been included in the first place. Not in PST/PDT because again majority of your target market doesn't use DST and doesn't know what is PST/PDT. Post it in UTC.

Last but not the least, use this tool: timeanddate dot com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Brilliant+Event&iso=20190703T11&p1=224

It automatically detects the timezone of the visitor. If they set their timezone wrong, well, their problem. Try it, you'll love it. There is no harm in using a legitimate third-party tool for events spanning multiple timezones.

If you want to insist with your DST affected timezones and mixing of "Asia-Pacific" (which again includes India) and "AEST/AEDT", then use the tool I shared in your official announcements. Everybody happy.

Feedback with solution. ;)

Comments

• LysaraBlackwoodLysaraBlackwood Posts: 4 ✭✭
    #204 July, 2019, 10:26 am.

Well said. UTC is best for everyone.

AEDT (Australian Eastern Daylight Savings Time) is an irrelevancy here, though as it's winter in Australia now. No daylight savings time until October!

• LucoireLucoire Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019 #305 July, 2019, 02:34 pm.

Did you ever try convincing US-Americans to switch from imperial to metric? 😋

And while I certainly agree on what you said about UTC, that transition will be (too?) difficult for a lot of people.

• Osprey1Osprey1 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #405 July, 2019, 03:24 pm.

First you make us use kilometers and now you want us to use a French time zone? (This is a joke: for context see the website timeanddate dot com and look for utc-abbreviation.)

As a resident of PDT (and a State that recently held a popular vote to allow our government to end the standard/daylight savings time shift) I support your move that using a local timezone in announcements is confusing. I even once caught myself converting to another timezone and then converting back.

Why is a countdown clock confusing? I agree is doesn't replace a simple time, but I think they build excitement and engagement.