Wit-Sharpening - worth it or not?

JulieJubzJulieJubz Posts: 622 ✭✭✭✭✭
in Potions #1 latest comment 16 September, 2019, 10:07 pm.

I like to be very honest about things and admit mistake when it's mine, so I will definitely admit that at first I used to use the Wit-Sharpening potion completely wrong. It took me a while to figure out how the order of foes worked in the fortress, and I didn't pay attention to see which ones were Elite and which weren't.

That being said: now that I know what's what, I still think the Wit potion doesn't really work as it's intended?

I only recently found out that you can use Exstimulo potions during fortress battles, and once I started using them, I actually found them so much better than any other potion that can be used there, especially wit-sharpening. I've actually fought Elite foes where I've chosen to use Exstimulo over the wit potion.

Anyone else feel like this? Or maybe I'm somehow still using it wrong? Let me know :)

Comments

• DogoutlawDogoutlaw Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #222 August, 2019, 01:30 pm.

When I’ve used wit sharpening against elites, I’ve noticed a difference for sure. I never compared against exstimulos tho.

• JulieJubzJulieJubz Posts: 622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #322 August, 2019, 01:42 pm.

I've used Wit and Exstimulo both in the same fight before (high level fortress), and while Wit was taking out a slightly larger chunk than without any potion at all, Exstimulo was taking out a very generous chunk of xp! I was amazed.

• Overflow4487Overflow4487 Posts: 389 ✭✭✭✭
    #422 August, 2019, 09:12 pm.

I have noticed a difference with the Wit-Sharpening potion against Elites personally. However, I heard you could stack it with the Exstimulo potions...so if you can do that, I bet it’s extremely effective. That’s too much potion usage for my poor overworked cauldron so I haven’t tried it.

• mi7admi7ad Posts: 148 ✭✭✭
    #522 August, 2019, 10:25 pm.

As an Auror, I think sometimes it’s not worth to use wit-sharpening potion at all. because I **** some foes with 1-2-3 attacks(specially with extimulo potions), so there’s no need to use wit potion just for 1 or 2 attacks from enemy or let’s say 50-100 damage. It’s your choice.

• AlakazamDMTAlakazamDMT Posts: 7 ✭✭
    #622 August, 2019, 11:33 pm.

The highest demand for Wit-Sharpening comes when you’re dealing with little time and need an even stronger punch than Potent Exstimulo. Maybe high chamber level Death Eaters with massive amounts of HP, or Werewolves/Dark Wizards with high Defense (given you don’t have an Auror or Focus for an upgraded Confusion Hex). That would seem to be its #1 function, most Elites, given you have time, can be effectively and relatively quickly taken out with just Potent Exstimulo. It comes down to your stash/income of Unicorn Hair, Potent Exstimulo has a much broader use and primarily using those on Elites would simplify which ingredients to gather/grow/keep. Maybe keep 3 Wit-sharpenings for the rare occasion you truly need it.

• AcumenAcumen Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #723 August, 2019, 01:37 am.

I'm with you on this @JulieJubz. The first couple times I used it on an Elite foe, I was impressed. A strong or potent exstimulo gives you a greater power bonus though, and lasts longer. Going forward, I imagine the only time I'll use wit sharpening potion is stacked in combination with strong or potent exstimulo when faced with a dangerous or fierce elite foe on a higher fortress level like forest or dark chambers.

• McGoodGreenMcGoodGreen Posts: 8 ✭✭
    #825 August, 2019, 03:59 pm.

The Wit Sharpening Potion is very worth it. It is an "end game" item in my eyes though. It makes things 50% more effective. That doesn't do a lot when your power is already low.

But once you reach some of the highest floors, HP values will be bloated. A single wit potion by itself is not very effective at low levels.

But combined with an Ext potion, the math skyrockets quickly. Or ****, if you are an Auror with high power the potion also shines rather well.

But yeah. Just like Dawdle Draughts, Wit Sharpening potions are supremely worth it, but only mostly for the situation they were made for. :p You can't ignore making Ext Potions OVER Wit Sharpening potions but you will absolutely want them both at later levels.

#925 August, 2019, 04:00 pm.

#1025 August, 2019, 04:01 pm.

The Wit Sharpening Potion is very worth it. It is an "end game" item in my eyes though. It makes things 50% more effective. That doesn't do a lot when your power is already low.

But once you reach some of the highest floors, HP values will be bloated. A single wit potion by itself is not very effective at low levels.

But combined with an Ext potion, the math skyrockets quickly. Or heck, if you are an Auror with high power the potion also shines rather well.

If you COULD stack potions, one wit sharpening potion and one Extilimo potion would be WAY stronger than two Extilimo potions.

But yeah. Just like Dawdle Draughts, Wit Sharpening potions are supremly worth it, but only mostly for the situation they were made for.

• CytopeAchenCytopeAchen Posts: 354 ✭✭✭✭
    #1125 August, 2019, 04:38 pm.

Wit sharpening - +50%

Exstimulo - +50%

Strong Exstimulo - +125%

Potent Exstimulo - +225%

Exstimulo is stackable with Wit sharpening so on an Elite opponent Wit+Potent=+275% which is quite a significant boost though you would end up using 2 Wits to 1 Potent. Exstimulos sadly do not stack... A +450% would be insane...

• PunkyfinsPunkyfins Posts: 60 ✭✭
    #1225 August, 2019, 08:55 pm.

Inasmuch as you have to budget time/ cauldron space/ inventory space I agree that generally estimulos get priority in my cauldron and its ingredients in the inventory. The main reason is that I can use them in fortresses, but also when I run into that one particular coveted trace. (Hi pickett! ;))

#1328 August, 2019, 08:16 pm.

I went into a forest fortress today and got two elite foes. I totally understand that they're way more powerful than other elite foes from lesser fortress levels, but man, I used two wit-sharpening potions and my hits packed no punch at all. I really do feel like it doesn't make a difference having them.

• DogoutlawDogoutlaw Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1428 August, 2019, 08:35 pm.

I guess I'll have to experiment with this if/when I can. I don't run into elites often, except when playing in large group, and that usually includes a magizoo with the elite charm (can't remember the name... bravery?). So we just use that, no potions. The Bravery (?) charm coupled with the proficiency charm, the person who has the appropriate profession takes the foe, and they're usually out in 2-3 hits. But we've only ventured up to low level Forest. Maybe potions will be more needed at higher levels.

• OriginalCarusoOriginalCaruso Posts: 145 ✭✭✭
    #1511 September, 2019, 07:59 am.

Lots of useful information here particularly potion percent improvements - thanks for these

At higher levels wit sharpening comes j to its own. Not much use at lower level towers, but when in higher level towers definitely worth the extra fire power

Experience based upon Professor (35) / Magizoologist (35) combo, not fought alongside an Auror yet

• GinnungagapGinnungagap Posts: 444 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 11 #1611 September, 2019, 03:34 pm.

Here is some simple math for those who are interested based on potential maximums. Obviously this will seem high to people as they are likely missing base power or proficiency power which reduces the multipliers a lot. If I made a mistake on my math let me know. I also made the assumption that people would be attacking things they are proficient at which is why I called that base damage. You can divide that multiplier out to get the results for things that you are not proficient against. This also ignores any defense calculations. Likewise you can multiply the damages by the extimulo percentage increase to see what it would be in those cases.

@Dogoutlaw @JulieJubz @Acumen @OriginalCaruso

#1716 September, 2019, 10:07 pm.

@Ginnungagap oooh that's awesome! Thanks for sharing!