Skip SOS assignment?

HuskiebearHuskiebear Posts: 1 ✭✭
in SOS Assignments #1 latest comment 08 January, 2020, 11:58 pm.

Can we please have a way to skip a given SOS assignment that is effectively impossible to complete?

I live in a rural area, with very few players (I have met a couple of PoGo players, but no HPWU players in my small town at all) and only two fortresses within 20 miles of my house. I can see no way for me to complete assignment #15 to win Wizarding challenges with 3 teammates. I'm really enjoying the game so far, but I'd hate to lose an entire section of game play this early on just because I don't live in a city and have have physical limitations that make it impossible to complete team challenges.

I'd be happy to pay gold to be able to skip this impossible (for me) assignment and move forward with the SOS branch of the game.

Comments

• Osprey1Osprey1 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #222 August, 2019, 04:53 am.

@Huskiebear sorry to hear you are having trouble finding other wizards to challenge with. I'm not going to repeat all the good suggestions on the forum like checking our community map and other social networks.

Instead I'm going to let you know that you are almost at the end of the currently available SOS tasks and it is kinda a let down when you get to the end. Therefore I say, just back burner it for now and hopefully before they release a new set you will have encouraged a few friends to take up the game.

Happy Wizarding!

• FogishFogish Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited August 2019 #322 August, 2019, 05:09 am.

I second this issue. I don’t live in a rural area but I know of only one other person who plays on the other side of town. Even that just by chance cause I happened to be there today when they entered a fortress. By the time I got to them they already left!

I wish there was a way to know if someone was in your proximity at the moment while in the game and maybe signal them that you are coming even if you aren’t right at the fortress.... I’ve looked on the map and don’t see any activity in my whole country so not helpful unfortunately. in a way it might be nice to have a chat option of sorts. Even though I don’t want too many people bugging me constantly but it could be a way for us who have no friends who play (who live in the same country as me) to be able to connect to the people in our proximity

• Benjah420Benjah420 Posts: 2
    #422 August, 2019, 11:18 am.

I second this for a completely different reason - I'm a Beta player and there is a glitch stoping us from receiving Mystery Objects at all.

• UnassignedSeatUnassignedSeat Posts: 3 ✭✭
    #723 August, 2019, 02:49 am.

It's understandable that lots of people don't have anyone to do this with, but one of Niantic's goals is to get people to meet in the real world and play together, so they'll never make things exclusively for solo players. If you really want to complete the task, just make accounts with your relatives's/friend's phones and do it Ruins Chamber I with them.

• FairlaineCFairlaineC Posts: 6 ✭✭
    #823 August, 2019, 02:49 am.

I also prefer to play solo.

I've just resigned to the fact that I won't get those rewards, but another option would be great!

• SharkscantroarSharkscantroar Posts: 4 ✭✭
    #923 August, 2019, 03:15 am.

Same (kind of)! While I do live in a city I'm the only one of my friends that plays. I would rather not have to meet up/play with strangers. Please give an option to skip!

• Ve225Ve225 Posts: 100 ✭✭
    #1023 August, 2019, 03:18 am.

Agreed to this 💖 None of my friends want to play hpwu. Most of them are ML players, as a minority it was really hard to play with others. Even if there are other players around hete i rather doubt they want to play with me.

• MuddBloodBuffMuddBloodBuff Posts: 3 ✭✭
    #1123 August, 2019, 07:40 am.

Niantic is about Team play. As in Pokemon Go. Your not forced to team up. I believe team play is encouraged by being most rewardful. I myself dont have locals that play but i have managed to ask questions and volunteered my help for others when i meet someone at a fortress or gym. That alone opens doors to other chat groups. Its about reaching out to your comunnity and seeing geographical locations in your own and adject comunnities.

The SOS task are goals that help you understand the game by participation. They arent mandatory

• WuodanWuodan Posts: 1 ✭✭
    #1323 August, 2019, 11:51 am.

I live in the city but I have just resigned myself to the fact that I will never complete the SOS challenge. I wish there was a way you could see what level people are fighting and maybe jump in. With PokemonGo I would open a gym, see people about to battle and I would ask they would mind if I jump in. I would then get to know and look for them.

• MacaroniDuckMacaroniDuck Posts: 1 ✭✭
    #1423 August, 2019, 06:00 pm.

I agree this should be a universal option as any number of tasks may be difficult to complete for any particular individual. For example, I'm a second shift worker. I have zero reason or desire to ever be up at dawn. For that reason, I am indefinitely stuck at the SOS task that requires that I deal with doxies. Let me substitute vampires instead or bypass the quest some other way instead of effectively forcing me out of my sleep schedule just to a complete a task for a game.

• IvarsAngel25IvarsAngel25 Posts: 1
    #1523 August, 2019, 08:34 pm.

Send your friend code and I'll help you cause I just started playing

• ElzabethElzabeth Posts: 1
    #1724 August, 2019, 10:41 am.

I see that people are concerned about finishing the task. I was a little apprehensive when I saw it as well because I play solo mostly myself. But, this is advertised and labeled as a community game and you know that going into it. To progress in the game you have to go out and explore outside of your typical areas. I happened to stop at a local soccer field where there is a tower to go a few challenges. Well wouldn't you know 2 other people came along and jumped in a challenge with me out of nowhere. Didnt have to talk to them, friend them, etc. Boom! 1 down. To allow players to get around the premise of the game, game as a community, doesn't make sense guys.

• CytopeAchenCytopeAchen Posts: 354 ✭✭✭✭
    #1824 August, 2019, 11:37 am.

Find a local board game store thats been around for a while and check to see if it's a Fortress or if there is one near it. Check on the stores site and see when their POGO days are, you might luck up and find they have HPWU as well. Then go sit next to the Fortress in your vehicle and play.

I was extremely introverted growing up, it wasn't until I began working in a field that forced me to interact with people and discuss topics most people would never be open about that I truly developed social skills. I understand the resistance to socially interact with a stranger and I also understand the dilemma of limited players in your area. Fortunately many of our Ingress Forefathers tagged these types of stores allowing you to interact in game from the comforts of your vehicle.

On a side note, I stumbled into a forced environment that wouldn't permit me to remain kept to myself. It wasn't easy but I have found it extremely rewarding in ways I never imagined. Life is a culmination of experiences and limiting your interaction with others limits your opportunity to have those experiences. I would encourage you if you're out playing and you see something light up from another player and notice someone swiping furiously on their phone just simply ask "Excuse me, are you playing H.P. Woo?" If they aren't then they will have no idea what you're talking about so there's no need to be embarrassed but if they are then you've just permitted yourself the opportunity to make a friend. There are bad people in the world but from my vast experience of dealing with them most have never voluntarily read anything and I've never witnessed them doing anything remotely similar to HPWU. Fortunately the majority of us who do play HPWU are individuals who enjoy a new book in our favorite series more than the next Marvel film making us quite like minded.

• WerewolfChaserWerewolfChaser Posts: 643 ✭✭✭✭
    #1924 August, 2019, 12:47 pm.

Allow me to post a quote from Niantic about one of their other games.

• 47% of Pokémon GO players feel motivated to connect with others

That leaves 53% not wanting to connect.

I fail to see why they are forcing group play.

I get the whole argument that you can indeed play solo but you are unable to complete the SOS tasks. Who knows what Niantic have in mind for the game. I'm thinking along the lines of dragons needing a group...

Why would they disregard what they claim motivates people?

#2024 August, 2019, 01:39 pm.

The questionnaire was "Are you more likely to play alone or with someone else?" When they put it out as 47% feel motivated to connect with others they were trying to interpret it as a positive in helping bring people together. Another, more accurate interpretation was "46% of people play with family and friends" while "54% primarily play by themselves". When HPWU put out their questionnaire I selected solo because I can't find any other players regularly but by that interpretation I would be considered one of the 53%.

For anyone that remembers the POGO release you know it doesn't make sense that the majority refused to "connect with others". The majority may have left the house playing by themselves but the moment Pikachu or Venusaur popped up they were right there giving a shout out with the rest of us and we ALL flocked to wherever a lure was active. As a top Mystic in my area I knew all the other top Mystics, Valors and the singular leading Instinct player lol

#2124 August, 2019, 01:54 pm.

I remember well the Pogo release. I used to be a very social player and was gym battle coordinator for Mystic in my area.

Then the local community went toxic so now I'm a solo player.

I don't understand how Niantic can interpret 47% of people feeling motivated to connect as a positive.

That is less than half. Really? We are in metric here but surely it's still 47% and 53% everywhere?

#2224 August, 2019, 02:18 pm.

Lol yes, in the empirical its still less than half.

What I'm saying is both the alternate interpretations of the same data and our personal experiences clearly show 53% wouldn't prefer to play solo.

I guess I've just been fortunate in regards to a toxic area. Both in Ingress and POGO I never had issues with anyone from another team. I frequently raided the local Enlightened leaders home portal only to illicit a "Good morning to you too, awfully far south today aren't you?" In POGO if we cleared someones gym or if they cleared ours immediately after it being taken we would all share a laugh and then go back to fighting or go do the route and recruit some extra players to help us.

#2324 August, 2019, 02:28 pm.

You must also take into account the smaller sized player base in this game. For the last CD I ventured into the city to meet players from all over this vast metropolitan area.

There were LESS players than my local Pogo day.

The toxicity I found in Pogo was mostly within my own team. I spent 45 mins golden berrying a gym that I was in. It was a lower level player who was obviously struggling towards the end.

I watched as they defeated the gym and left it empty. There it sat empty for 10 minutes until my "friends" put their 3 accounts in plus their alts which of course filled the gyms.

These were friends that I had made playing Pogo, had them as game friends and fb. Needless to say they were removed!

They weren't even the toxic players.

#2524 August, 2019, 03:03 pm.

@Acumen Agreed. I thought for sure that this game would well surpass Pogo. I am a little sad that it isn't more popular.

I go through my friends list and weed out inactive players. I just went through again. 100 friends, 33 inactive. Must be time for another cull although I did one earlier in the week.

• Overflow4487Overflow4487 Posts: 390 ✭✭✭✭
    #2624 August, 2019, 11:26 pm.

@WerewolfChaser I started going through my friends list too. Right now there is really no point to be friends you don’t physically fortress with, but it still is fun to see other people’s levels raise and watch them grow.

However, I know at some point more interactivity will come, so I’m starting to clean out some of my inscribed so I don’t waste interactions with people who are not playing anymore.

• DanidGirlDanidGirl Posts: 2 ✭✭
    #2726 August, 2019, 06:35 am.

Im in the same boat. I cant complete SOS challenges if it requires more than one other participant.

I only have 20 friends in HPWU. 18 of them in another state, 2800 miles away. 1 is in a city 200 miles away. In other games, if a challenge cant be completed, we are offered a way to pay to skip (using in game cuurency or gems earned through playing, or buying with real world money). I would like to see this option opened up. Especially for team based or multi-player challenges. Ive already noticed that 8 of my friends have stopped playing.

I cant travel to get to places where others play.

Even in POGO, i did everything solo. Never did anything with anyone else. Even gyms (i didnt really care about gyms anyway).

• FogishFogish Posts: 6 ✭✭
    #2827 August, 2019, 04:00 am.

It isn’t community and it isn’t solo. That a problem. If I have no way to interact with even my friends or reach out to people in my vicinity (or see if there are logged in people in my vicinity) it can’t be community in my opinion.

#2927 August, 2019, 07:51 am.

Portkey Games offers players the opportunity to make their own narrative choices and engage with the Wizarding World setting to create new and unique experiences. The label was created to bring gamers and fans new gaming experiences that allow them to delve into the magic of the Wizarding World in immersive ways where they can define their own Wizarding World story.

That's a quote from the Niantic website . Wikipedia has it listed as multi player and solo.

I'll go with Niantics idea where I can define my own story thanks. Solo for me.

The community on the website links to this forum btw. ;)

• PhobebonPhobebon Posts: 12 ✭✭
    #3003 September, 2019, 02:12 pm.

POGO has been around for quite some time and in Asia where I am living in, I see a trend that the teenagers are playing less of POGO but instead the middle-age group is aggressive in **** battles and actively doing the game. But due to the nature of the game (somewhat I think related to gifting?) allows one account to transfer gifts to another. Here, it is common to see one person holding at least 2 devices playing POGO, common is 3-4 and I can tell it is a very community game as well.

For WU, while the pokestops are similar location, I am usually the only one doing my own thing with my wand and confoundables. And for WU, we walk to do traces or walk portkeys alot. POGO seems to have become a "stationary" game because I only see the players all cluster at one spot and battle, very few people bother to walk around.

I would certainly second a bypass method by coins or penalty to defer the next SOS tasks like how fortresses penalised a 60 seconds on defeat kind of concept. I am looking forward to new assignments and ranking up to play solo as Magizoologist, hope this enjoyment continues.

• PhobebonPhobebon Posts: 12 ✭✭
    #3103 September, 2019, 02:14 pm.

POGO has been around for quite some time and in Asia where I am living in, I see a trend that the teenagers are playing less of POGO but instead the middle-age group is aggressive in **** battles and actively doing the game. But due to the nature of the game (somewhat I think related to gifting?) allows one account to transfer gifts to another. Here, it is common to see one person holding at least 2 devices playing POGO, common is 3-4 and I can tell it is a very community game as well.

For WU, while the pokestops are similar location, I am usually the only one doing my own thing with my wand and confoundables. And for WU, we walk to do traces or walk portkeys alot. POGO seems to have become a "stationary" game because I only see the players all cluster at one spot and battle, very few people bother to walk around.

I would certainly second a bypass method by coins or penalty to defer the next SOS tasks like how fortresses penalised a 60 seconds on defeat kind of concept. I am looking forward to new assignments and ranking up to play solo as Magizoologist and to enjoy playing the game.