Doxy Sightings

ArmaitusArmaitus Posts: 2 ✭✭
in SOS Assignments #1 latest comment 03 October, 2019, 07:19 pm.

I've got an SOS challenge that needs me to encounter Doxys, does anyone know where they spawn or where I can encounter them?

Comments

• LunaAutumn583LunaAutumn583 Posts: 1 ✭✭
    #203 July, 2019, 07:43 am.

I've encountered one, and it was early in the dawn. I wouldn't be able to characterize my location in any real useful way but maybe if you try looking early in the morning (or, if you're like me, very late at night because you stayed up), then you'll have some more luck. I hope this is at least somewhat helpful!

• PolgaraPolgara Posts: 4 ✭✭
    #303 July, 2019, 07:44 am.

It doesn't have to be an oddity, I encountered mine with Gobstones and Vanishing Cabinet if I remember correctly. It was a fairly easy task in my opinion.

• MzWizMzWiz Posts: 5 ✭✭
    #503 July, 2019, 09:28 am.

Type into Google "sunrise YOURCITY", replace YOURCITY with your own.

You should get the current time of sunrise at your location.

Doxy oddities will spawn for two hours, starting one hour before sunrise and ending one hour after sunrise.

So take a look at your local time of sunrise and go hunt for them within that two hour window.

• JeppyMarcusJeppyMarcus Posts: 22 ✭✭
    #603 July, 2019, 09:50 am.

you will get doxies every dawn. so walk around your neighborhood at dawn. just stay safe..

• WUPPA88WUPPA88 Posts: 9 ✭✭
    #703 July, 2019, 01:29 pm.

And by 'dawn', we mean when it says 'dawn' in-game. Not actual time of day, though that is also included.

• CesparCespar Posts: 6 ✭✭
    #803 July, 2019, 03:04 pm.

So far seen only one at around 630am - dawn seems to be the thing here, but I think they appear to still be quite infrequent

• TheRedViperTheRedViper Posts: 2 ✭✭
    #903 July, 2019, 03:58 pm.

Someone commented it doesn't have to be an oddity... it does. I woke up at 5:15am today just to go out and find me some doxy poop. For me (in Southern California) they stop spawning around 6:45am once the "dawn" label is gone from the game. They only have 10hp so the only challenge is finding them. Drive to all your hotspots or cluster spawns and have at it!

• ArmaitusArmaitus Posts: 2 ✭✭
    #1003 July, 2019, 08:32 pm.

Dawn makes sense, thanks folks.

For those suggesting gobstones and vanishing cabinet, you're thinking of the early pixie wings SOS challenge.

• LagomorphaPrimeLagomorphaPrime Posts: 30 ✭✭
    #1105 July, 2019, 05:17 am.

I've seen two, when I had been playing very late at night. I guess it was just before dawn based on the previous comments 😂

• RylandiRylandi Posts: 3
    #1205 July, 2019, 09:28 pm.

Doxies spawn when it is "dawn" in game, for me it has been exactly 5a-7a each day.

• NikasNikas Posts: 25 ✭✭
    #1306 July, 2019, 06:43 am.

as correctly noted above - doxy appear at dawn. In addition, you can be helped by the fact that all odditis appear more often on locations without landmarks.

• LagomorphaPrimeLagomorphaPrime Posts: 30 ✭✭
    #1408 July, 2019, 11:05 am.

@Nikas by "without landmarks" do you mean areas not directly next to inns/greenhouses/fortresses? I realize I've mostly seen oddities spawn on the next block to inns/greenhouses/fortresses, now that you say that.

• Osprey1Osprey1 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭✭
    #1508 July, 2019, 01:03 pm.

@LagomorphaPrime landmarks are the flags that indicate more frequent appearance of specific family foundables.

• ShailanShailan Posts: 23 ✭✭
    #1602 August, 2019, 07:06 pm.

Agreed. Dawn in-game. They're so fast, too!!

• CytopeAchenCytopeAchen Posts: 352 ✭✭✭
    #1702 August, 2019, 08:03 pm.

@Shailan lol yeah, I think they're the only reason to increase Accuracy in the professions tree.

• DigitalisDigitalis Posts: 185 ✭✭✭
    edited August 3 #1803 August, 2019, 01:16 am.

https://community.harrypotterwizardsunite.com/en/discussion/868/doxy-droppings-and-werewolves-hair/p1

also see this thread on doxy and warewolves, lots of oddity info in it.

• SamuelHaightSamuelHaight Posts: 94 ✭✭
    #1903 August, 2019, 03:00 pm.

I have yet to see any during the Dawn time window. And I've been on this task for two weeks at least. LOL But still I get up super early to try and find them. It's become almost a vendetta at this point.

• ElektrykalAJElektrykalAJ Posts: 6 ✭✭
    #2003 August, 2019, 07:15 pm.

I am not sure if this is just by chance or what, but it seems to me that I haven't been able to find doxies in the same place (in a given dusk period per day).

Like, I have a particular WU-route that I like to venture where I make my rounds of Inns and Fortresses, etc. I found 3 doxies on the first "lap", but when I cycled back around 30 mins later to start it all over, nada. So I went elsewhere and I was able to snag 2 more fairly quickly. Might be a pure coincidence, but just thought I'd throw that out there.

Happy hunting!

• DubiousAffairsDubiousAffairs Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
    #2104 August, 2019, 05:34 am.

I tried this morning, dawn was officially at 6:37 am. I was out before 6 (on a Sunday, aaaargh).

Went on part of Usual Route 1 (useful only for WU) :

Park, no flags, one Fortress > roundabout (one greenhouse to the side) > boring featureless 500m > 5 inns (only 4 accessible, 2 are on the fenced-off grounds of a city building, not opening before 10am, leading to another fortress, all that in a not-so-nice part of town).

Nothing but standard traces on the way there, spent 40 minutes there, put down 2 detectors, not a single oddity.

Went back to the park to finish the Daily with a quick level 1 encounter in the fortress, and after that found two smegging Erklings (again... I hate them at this point), one horned serpent. Back to the roundabout to check, since it looked like oddity time. One leprechaun. Back home around 7, close to the park, one oddity... and it was Yet Another Frigging Erkling (Seen: 75)

So... no doxies yet, still haven't seen a single one.

• CaeleonCaeleon Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
    #2204 August, 2019, 06:13 am.

I've been fairly lucky. After a period with none whatsoever, I caught 9 on my way home. Was cloudy and rainy. The days after, it's 2 - 4 doxies a run. Clear weather.

• AuroraKadavraAuroraKadavra Posts: 495 ✭✭✭✭
    #2304 August, 2019, 08:45 am.

I was going to say the same @Digitalis ive seen a couple of threads on here about those, so you'll need to go back a whiles, i didn't need them at time so only glanced, but there are lots of little hints from many players there, so you could have a read see if anything is there thats not on here yet. Hope that helps and u find those pesky doxies! 😊

edited August 4 #2404 August, 2019, 07:48 pm.

i found 3 doxys this morning.

they are definitely not out every dawn - i am awake and walking at dawn as often as not, i can go days at a time without seeing any then find a few some morning.

they are definitely on the rarer side of things, but they are out there. keep trying and you will find some.

• SirDalamarSirDalamar Posts: 0 ✭✭
    #2505 August, 2019, 12:11 pm.

My Experience with Doxy seems much different than the others. I started an hour before sunrise. I searched the total 2 hours+. I had real trouble finding doxy.

I went to my normal areas that are thick with spawns, inns and fortresses. I found only 4--Doxy; I found 28-Lepricans . Very disappointing since I ruined a total day of sleep for this. I guess Niantic wants us to DRIVE to the parking lots of strip malls and "DRIVE" around to be able to find these due to the time, and location limitations. My normal awake time is 10:00AM-2:00AM so I had to loose sleep to do this.

The use of the Time Turner would be advisable here

• AcumenAcumen Posts: 656 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #2605 August, 2019, 11:06 pm.

This one took a while for me to get through, as appears to be the case for most people. My advice is don't fuss too much over trying to find ways to find doxies quickly. SOS challenges aren't time-sensitive. Not even the werewolf one. If you didn't reach that assignment or finish it during the last full moon, there's always the next one. When I reached the doxy assignment, I tried super hard the first day by getting up before dawn and covering a lot of ground, only to come home frustrated after not finding a single one. After that, I decided I'll find them when I find them. Ended up finishing the assignment in just over a week, and caught most of them while brushing my teeth or making coffee.

#2705 August, 2019, 11:25 pm.

@SirDalamar no need for driving.

it wouldnt help to drive in my tiny town - in fact would probably take longer to do so. cant drive all the ways i can walk, so a vehicle has not been part of my finding tools. there are no bus lines here, no public transportation of any kind that comes to or goes through here.

lots of the residents of town get around on golf carts/side by side type vehicles. is just easier when not leaving town. i do not have one but it would be nice i guess. have a seat with me.

it is entirely possible to find them all by foot. they are not out every morning.

• CaeleonCaeleon Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
    #2806 August, 2019, 06:12 am.

My experience is that I come across them more often within the city then outside, there I get more leprechauns.

• MalandrinaMalandrina Posts: 26 ✭✭
    #2910 August, 2019, 10:55 pm.

I set my alarm tomorrow morning at 6:30 (official dawn 6:22) from my bed I usually find some traces, and quite a few oddities, I'll give it a try. I'm finally on holidays and really not willing to loose my sleep because of this. For the records, I never ever encountered one and I play from the first day it has been released in Germany. So almost two months. @[email protected] this is going to take ages.

• DogoutlawDogoutlaw Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭✭
    #3011 August, 2019, 12:11 am.

@Malandrina I’m not a morning person either!! I try to check when hubby gets up for work since it’s dawn in game, sometimes I get one, sometimes not, and then I go back to sleep. I’m about halfway through them now. Maybe some day, when it’s supposed to rain, I’ll bother to get up and walk around. We’ll see. Good hunting to you!

• MalandrinaMalandrina Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited August 11 #3111 August, 2019, 04:26 am.

@Dogoutlaw thanks!

Just woke up for a first try.

No luck, let's see in the next days <3

Edit: just found one! Yay!

Good hunt to you too!