Select Extremely Flighty Foundables

Herm10neG92Herm10neG92 Posts: 193 ✭✭✭
in Tips & Tricks #1 latest comment 12 October, 2019, 04:07 am.

Does anyone else feel that there are particular Foundables that they literally just have no chance of ever catching? I get legitimately upset every time I see a Whomping Willow now because I’ve encountered it 5 times and have thrown countless potent exstimulo + masterful cast combos at it only to have it depart. Beyond frustrating.

I know others have successfully returned it so I understand it is POSSIBLE, but it just seems that no matter what I personally do, the darn thing leaves every time. Very disappointing and demoralizing as a player to have the same experience repeatedly despite leveling up to where it should supposedly be less resistant or less likely to flee. I know @AuroraKadavra has caught a few so I’m holding onto a shred of hope, but I guess I need to move across the Atlantic and maybe I’ll have some more success.

Before anyone gets upset, I am aware that it is ranked as one of the highest threat level Foundables for a reason. I know it has something like a 0.3% base win rate. I don’t expect to return every severe/emergency level threat every time. But I’ve successfully returned Newt, Tom Riddle, Hagrid, the Time Turner, etc. (all with worse or equally slim odds of successful return) and don’t know why it is this particular Foundable is so elusive for me.

Any tips or tricks I can do to improve my odds or am I just particularly favored by RNGesus?

Comments

• ZookiTabookiZookiTabooki Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 20 #220 August, 2019, 10:47 pm.

Oh I feel your pain! So I won't tell you I have only ever encountered Whomping Willow once, and was fortunate to return him. There is one particular foundable though that I have developed a very tenuous relationship with, and right from the beginning. Fawkes has been a favourite of mine and when he appeared as my first ever Severe encounter back on June 29, barely two weeks following the U.S/European release of Wizard's Unite, I really felt the magic. And I was ready; I threw a dawdle potion at him, guzzled down a potent exstimulo and cast my best spell. He departed after the first cast and I was crushed.

I have only been able to return my dear Fawkes once out of eight encounters, finally returning him on my seventh attempt! My most recent encounter was just this morning. I used to love this bird, now I just want him to BURN!!!

• CraeftCraeft Posts: 973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #320 August, 2019, 11:02 pm.

I got my first whomping willow on my first try and I, to this day, don't know how. I must've been drunk. But yeah... i totally relate to the point of this post. There are some that just... Whooo....

• Herm10neG92Herm10neG92 Posts: 193 ✭✭✭
    #421 August, 2019, 12:23 am.

@ZookiTabooki you get me! It’s seriously so frustrating but it does make me feel slightly better to hear that there’s a difficult one for you too. It’s very interesting that it seems like everybody has at least one that is just really flighty for whatever reason.

@Craeft I haven’t played drunk yet!! This is a great idea. I might blow through my spell energy pretty quickly, but I like this strategy. Gonna give it a shot soon.

#521 August, 2019, 02:13 am.

So my comment was withheld for review and I’m assuming it won’t be posted because I sarcastically mused that I must need to play drunk too @Craeft 😅 Oops. Warning impending #sorryMods

• AcumenAcumen Posts: 653 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21 #621 August, 2019, 02:59 am.

I feel you. The one that upset me the most is actually kind of embarrassing. It was the Foe Glass. Of all the ones to give me the most trouble that seems like an unlikely candidate, but that thing made me use my spicy words, lol. It departed on me over 50% of the time! Granted, I would only use strong exstimulo, but I'm not breaking out the top shelf stuff for a high level threat! I finally placed the image for it recently and it won't bother me one bit if I never prestige that page. I don't want to have to find any more of those cursed objects that clearly hate me.

#721 August, 2019, 03:07 am.

This thread made me very thankful for the forums because it calms me down to hear that higher level players have had the same issues as me 😅 Albeit they are different Foundables, it seems everybody has at least one that torments them. Great to hear you placed the image for it @Acumen ! Persistence pays off clearly.

I’ll think of you all the next time I’m yelling obscenities at my phone as a Whomping Willow departs.

• AuroraKadavraAuroraKadavra Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭
    #921 August, 2019, 09:00 am.

Ps- this will either make u all hate me or maybe help a bit lol! But i never use potions on anything but severe or emergency threats. High threats i always just go for it & they are usually well behaved lol. Like @Acumen says, not cracking out top shelf potions, but i wont even use basic exstimulo on them. They seem to follow the formula how it should be by casts.

Its those low level ones driving me insane!

I will think of u all when i next encounter higher level ones or ones i need to prestige & it will help to know its not just me who is screaming at the phone! 😂

#1021 August, 2019, 09:06 am.

@ZookiTabooki just re-read your comment- I'd missed the end- 'I just want him to BURN' 😂😂😂 classic!! Made me actually lol.

U guys cheer me up 😊

#1221 August, 2019, 12:17 pm.

Omg @ZookiTabooki that needs to be printed on a tshirt!! Id buy that! Lol. Thats just the best summary ever!! 😂

And to prove your point, i just 2 mins ago encountered the foe glass for the first time @Acumen and i broke my rule after casting 3 greats & threw a potion at it- cast 4 more greats, up to the top line- (i personally think it should have gone over! Lol) and guess what....yep, yes it did! No need to say it- we all know the result from @ZookiTabooki 's guide! 😂

#1321 August, 2019, 12:25 pm.

Misery loves company! I’ll have those days too, @AuroraKadavra. Even Hogwarts Students, Flobberworms, and Daily Prophet News Stands will all depart on me at a remarkable rate. Sometimes it appears to be for no reason at all other than random bad luck that day. Other times though, I’ve begun to notice that I’ll have problems when my GPS is acting up due to being in a spot with poor connectivity, or weather conditions, or whatever.

I have this running theory that if my GPS is struggling to lock in on my location, it causes Foundables to spawn that shouldn’t be there. You can watch this happen on the map. You’ll be stationary but your person is moving around on the map, causing a couple Foundables to pop up then disappear again as your person continues to move about. Sometimes it’ll be so bad I’ll get the driving warning even though I’m just sitting at my desk. I think if you tap on Foundables while GPS is acting up, there’s a higher chance of engaging one that the client (your phone) sees but the server doesn’t recognize as being in your immediate area. When this happens, it’s pretty much guaranteed to depart. I have no real data to back this up though. It’s just a random shower-thought that made sense when it came to me.

Oh, and @Herm10neG92, I forgot to mention that I’ve only successfully rescued one Womping Willow! The first one I saw was pretty early in the game and it departed. After that, it took over a month to spot another one. Same with Swooping Evil. And I’ve still never seen Tom Riddle or Albus Dumbledore, two of the most important characters in the story! Seems like almost everyone has encountered them except me! I wouldn’t even mind too much if they departed. It’d just be nice to at least see them once. Meh. 🤷‍♂️

#1421 August, 2019, 02:06 pm.

@ZookiTabooki that's a great way to maintain your sanity while playing the game, or just dealing with life in general! I prefer to maintain a pessimistic point of view, so negative outcomes aren't a shock and positive results are appreciated even more.

@AuroraKadavra the Foe Glass strikes again! It's a shame too, because that has one of my favorite animations. It's hilarious that the foe visible to the pixies is a cat.

#1621 August, 2019, 05:04 pm.

@Acumen I’m dying at the reddit post 😂😂😂😂😂 That’s beyond perfect for this thread. Professor Slughorn and his drunken, self-interested musings to a mourning Hagrid have taken on a whole other meaning 😅

#1721 August, 2019, 05:13 pm.

@AuroraKadavra I love that! “I’m going in and I’m taking my ball with me” just made me chuckle and simultaneously picture myself as a small toddler throwing a fit, but it’s pretty on par with how I must look if I’m being honest.

My husband asked me if I threw my phone when the last Whomping Willow took off on me and I told him I was close - but the fact it was pouring rain made me rethink that course of action.

@ZookiTabooki you are so right about that! “Misery loves company” is the expression I think. Though I don’t enjoy the suffering of others and genuinely love hearing your success stories of returning rare Foundables, it mollifies me a bit to hear that I’m not the only one struggling with a particularly challenging one. I truly hope we all persevere through it and yell at our phones as rarely as possible, because I really love the game and community here. Keep trying to remind myself that if anything, it will make us that much more happy when we do return these tormentors.

#1821 August, 2019, 06:04 pm.

Oh, and @AuroraKadavra I totally get what you mean about feeling certain your cast SHOULD have gone over the masterful line. On multiple occasions, you'll pull of a fantastic cast and in the first split second, the needle appears to be zooming quickly to the right. You're certain it'll make it all the way to the right of the bar. But then, after that first moment, the needle almost appears to snag on something which drags it to an immediate stop. It sounds utterly ridiculous, but I swear it's a real thing! I suspect nargles.

#1921 August, 2019, 06:22 pm.

@AuroraKadavra I overlooked that part of your post but YES!!! @Acumen This happens to me too. It’s also unnerving because sometimes the color will match a higher tier of the meter, it will make the sound of crossing over to that higher level, but the text stays on the lower level and I only get credit for the lower tier of the meter. It’s very frustrating but I’ve had it happen many times. I suspect nargles are behind it too 😂😂😂

#2021 August, 2019, 07:50 pm.

Hey, there's a facebook sharing button now. Look at you, admins. You fancy.

#2122 August, 2019, 06:03 am.

[email protected] just noticed the Facebook share thing @Acumen oooh! Ive been share some of my screenshots like the amazing one of the womping willow @Herm10neG92 😂 sorry- couldn't resist! Lol. It wud b good if could share on here but i dont know if can or how.

I got Newt again last night!!! Yay! Was v chuffed. Iv been awake since 5.45am not a doxy in sight, not wandering street in my pjs tho & i ain't gettin up & dressed! Not happnin! Lol. Love this thread we've all had a good old moan & its good to know we all in same boat. Those frustrating days just make the good ones even better!

Throwing your phone @Herm10neG92 😂😂 that's exactly how i feel but my s9 is pristine so i just blurt out a lot of garble thats a mix of about 10qs like 'omg whyyyyyy! Are u kidding me? I threw a potent at you & got masterful' etc all rolled into one cos i cant get them out fast enough 😂😂

#2222 August, 2019, 06:36 am.

Alright, did one of you prefects bless my game somehow? It wasn’t a WW, but I just had a Quidditch Captain Harry Potter spawn in my bedroom and got it on the first cast with only a “good” cast and potent exstimulo potion. This can’t be real.

@AuroraKadavra I so want to see all the pictures/videos. I think someone mentioned on a thread how to link to external photo sharing tools but I’m definitely the wrong person to ask. Maybe @Acumen or @Craeft can help with this?

And yes, I’ve come close to throwing my phone a few times. My iPhone 8+ is not in great shape due to my dog taking off so forcefully on his leash that it knocked my phone out of my grip and screen first onto the concrete. This happened twice believe it or not. Truly fortunate for him that he’s as cute as a baby niffler.

• CraeftCraeft Posts: 973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #2322 August, 2019, 02:52 pm.

@Herm10neG92 - That happened to me yesterday with a Philosopher's Stone fragment with a strong potion. First cast, masterful, captured. hehe

@AuroraKadavra / @Herm10neG92 - I just use imgur for that. Upload to Imgur then use the image link and paste it in the forums.

• DrPantsDrPants Posts: 10 ✭✭
    #2422 August, 2019, 05:11 pm.

It seems like the depart rate is significantly higher the first time you see a foundable. After you catch one it becomes easier to catch more.

• wizardsmomwizardsmom Posts: 3
    edited August 22 #2522 August, 2019, 05:27 pm.

I have also noticed so many low level threats departing this week.

I was starting to take it personally, lol. I have seen the whomping tree twice and returned it once, I broke out a dawdle and a potent potion to catch it though.

• HBadger78HBadger78 Posts: 2 ✭✭
    #2622 August, 2019, 08:18 pm.

I have never come across a whomping willow. I seem to be trapped in repeating the same foundables over and over despite going to other cities, state parks, and just plain out in the middle of nowhere. What gives?

• ValorshuValorshu Posts: 19 ✭✭
    #2722 August, 2019, 08:57 pm.

was very frustrated low Foundable “Hand of glory” departed after 6 great + spell casts. Since last update, game crashed like crazy. I think I am about to focus on Pokémon Go in September coz there are going to be many exciting events, unown, Gen5 Pokemon etc. Half of my friends list become inactive and I really get bored with catching the same stubborn Foundable over and over and over again. The worst part is that I have been unable to level up skill trees due to absurd requirements of red spell books. Nothing else can motivate me to continue for now. On community day, I could not find HPWU players at downtown shopping mall considering 6million people in this city..

• LambsMomLambsMom Posts: 1 ✭✭
    #2822 August, 2019, 10:33 pm.

I know this probably going to sound totally off-the-wall, but it actually works with my LG phone. After tracing the sigil, raise your phone up and shake it like crazy. It works 4 out of 5 times for me.

• LuigiKenobiLuigiKenobi Posts: 1
    #2922 August, 2019, 11:30 pm.

Have yet to even encounter one of those but I agree that it is frustrating, what gets me more is the ones that have moved to the green zone are still as hard to get as in the beginning. Makes it seem that leveling up really offers no rewards other than bragging rights.

#3023 August, 2019, 08:24 am.

Ahh what a shame that its happening like that for you peeps- @LuigiKenobi @Valorshu @HBadger78 , it really does get very frustrating, but ive found the rewards when you get those higher ones for the first time to be worth it! I literally squeal & jump about in excitement- but that's me! Lol. Im not sure what level you are at but it definitely makes a difference as to whether you can catch the higher ones.

Iv found that there are always the same confoundables every day, the usuals that i fly thru to do my daily 10 etc, but theres always a different one or higher threat too as i potter round. I do spend bout hour & half in morn then hour & half in early eve though, so im not sure how much time you have the game open continuously if that makes a difference?

I would just say its a case of patience & not giving up cos they do just pop up when u least expect it, my severe & emergency ones have all been on a road i travel every day & hadnt seen b4 but suddenly there they are!

@LambsMom that tip made me actually lol, picturing you doing that, im definitely going to give that a try today- cos i dont think i look quite crazy enough wandering the streets shouting at my phone and hanging about suspiciously! Lol.

@Craeft congrats on philosopher's stone! Ive got fragment in tower but not seen it! Thanks for tip on pics il have a look at that later then i can show @Herm10neG92 how beautiful womping willow is lol! I'm kind like that 😂

There's so many of the higher threat ones iv yet to even see once & im sure theyl pop up eventually, i love playing the game in the mwantime so im in no rush. About to level up to 29 today, not as high as many on here but i still get really chuffed at levelling up 😀

#3124 August, 2019, 01:23 am.

@ZookiTabooki I had a Fawkes depart on me today (with potent exstimulo and a great cast of course) and thought of you as I yelled for him to burn in... another place 😇