Red Spell Books

ZookiTabookiZookiTabooki Posts: 637 ✭✭✭✭✭
in Wizarding Challenges + Professions #1 latest comment 13 May, 2020, 02:37 am.

Acquiring these rare and elusive books are no doubt one of the biggest challenges in Wizard’s Unite. It almost seems like the green restricted section books are easier to get as you only need to wait for an event to get access. The red spell books require an effective game plan if you want to acquire them on a regular, consistent basis and here is how I handle this challenge.

Be Prepared

I have two different types of Fortress sessions and all my sessions take around 30 minutes to complete. My daily sessions consist of burning low level runestones on low level chambers in an effort to acquire certain fragments I need to complete specific frames. I do this by matching the appropriate colour runestone with the corresponding fragment family. These sessions keep my energy consumption and potion usage to a minimum as I take the time to build a stock for my red spell book sessions.

My red spell book fortress sessions also take about a half hour to complete. When I am done I consistently acquire 2-4 spell books with only 4 or 5 chamber battles per session. The key is your runestones.

I use no. 4 and 5 runestones exclusively for these specific red book fortress sessions. These runestones give you the greatest amount of challenge XP per battle and will allow you to rank up a great deal faster than using lower level runestones. If you enter a chamber equivalent to your profession grade with a no. 4 or 5 runestone, you will rank up at least once, sometimes twice with only 4 or 5 chamber battles and all in about 30 minutes, no matter what challenge rank you may hold.

Although you will be tempted to tackle higher level chambers because you can, your ability to manage your potions and energy per session will depend on the supply you showed up with. If you have the resources a la potions, time, energy and appropriate runestones then all power to ya, go to town. But if you’re like me, I have one red spell book fortress session per week consistently as I take the time to build a dozen strong and potent exstimulo, a half dozen invigorating, and a handful of wit-sharpening potions to help me deal with my adversaries; never mind acquiring the right runestones.

That’s why being prepared, my favourite Boy Scout motto is crucial for effectively and consistently accessing these special spell books. The cost for one of my red spell book sessions is about 150-185 energy.

Comments

• ZookiTabookiZookiTabooki Posts: 637 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #621 August, 2019, 04:46 pm.

@KillaJulz910 In the image I linked above, notice the second fragment reflects the runestone family being used. This is typical.

• AcumenAcumen Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #721 August, 2019, 05:58 pm.

@ZookiTabooki nailed this answer. Very well explained, sir.

• HypnoTravelerHypnoTraveler Posts: 77 ✭✭
    #821 August, 2019, 06:44 pm.

@ZookiTabooki I like your strategy and making a burdensome task more palatable regarding the task is acquiring numerous red books.

• uhaulidahouhaulidaho Posts: 1 ✭✭
    #1022 August, 2019, 07:15 pm.

What rank are you in challenges? Higher ranks are impossible to get 2-4 red books in a half hour

• DogoutlawDogoutlaw Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1123 August, 2019, 05:34 am.

@uhaulidaho just out of curiosity, at what rank do you consider higher? I doubt I’m at that level, so not trying to start anything, just curious.

• WerewolfChaserWerewolfChaser Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    #1323 August, 2019, 05:48 am.

And even sadder, if I switched now from Lvl 13 Auror to Professor I would only need 27 red books on top of what I currently need.

• DogoutlawDogoutlaw Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1423 August, 2019, 05:54 am.

@WerewolfChaser thanks. I’m at rank 45, so only 920 xp needed. I ranked twice tonight in under an hour, but I know the xp requirement grows at each rank, so it just gets harder. I’ve debated not learning anymore red book lessons until I have a 100 to spend. So I’ll stop staring at everything I can’t do yet!😂

#1523 August, 2019, 01:53 pm.

@uhaulidaho Hi, I'm a grade 10 Professor, Rank 43 Challenges. Off to do it again this morning... I spent the week doing Ruins level 5 with no. 3 runestones, gets me close to levelling up by the time I do a spell book run. Now I am off to do 5 battles working Tower level 5 with no.4 and 5 runestones. That will be enough to level up from my current 720/880 for 2 books and another 900 for the next 2 books.

• HypnoTravelerHypnoTraveler Posts: 77 ✭✭
    #1623 August, 2019, 02:46 pm.

@WerewolfChaser I’m quite a ways behind you, just lev 39 on Challenges, and a professor and complaining about limited red spell books. It’s hard to imagine what it must feel like at lev 63 and still needing more books!

• DigitalisDigitalis Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019 #1825 August, 2019, 07:59 pm.

@ZookiTabooki what level is your challenges bar that you get a level or two (2-4 books) using only 4-5 runestones?

all of your advice and strategy is spot on valid and echoes what i have learned as well.

my challenges bar is at rank 93 and it takes 1,880 points to rank up. (1,340 wizard challenges won)

every level the challenges bar increases in the amount of experience it takes to rank up again, by 20 points. regular registry pages cap at 100 points to rank, and brilliant event pages were all 100 points to rank until return to hogwarts, which is only 40. i hit that 40 point bar real hard for runestones - suggest that to others for second half of the event here in a few days.

my lady and her brother also play, sometimes i have one or both of them to fight in fortresses with (not terribly often though) and the challenge points gained with other players fighting with you is considerably more then you can get alone.

my strategy for a while now has been to throw all my level 1 runestones at whatever low level (books, jokes) foundable fragments i am hunting (including/especially event runes) to use my level 2-4 runestones on the highest levels i can do without potions, occasionally highest level i can do with potions when i have them, and save any level 5 runestones for when i have friends to fight with.

that runs pretty close to what you posted up there at the start of the thread, and is a comforting consolation i have been doing it close to the way others seem to also think is the best method.

two achievements also give red books:

"elite foes defeated"

"strategic spells cast"

both achievements done with fortressy things, but something to remember to zero in on while you are in there.

edited August 2019 #1926 August, 2019, 01:10 am.

@Digitalis As it turns out, I've been conservative with my estimates. I am currently challenges rank 46, 551/940. If you scroll back up to my last comment, I was at Level 43 and that was 2 days ago. When I originally posted this thread, it was on or about the 20th. This thread was posted the day I cleared 5 battles, scored 4 spell books and realized my new strategy. Today, I got 2 more. That's a total of 10 spell books in the last 5-6 days. Now of course, I burned through a lot of runestones and I doubt I can keep up that pace without a consistent supply but if I can count on 2-4 red spell books per week consistently, I can work with that.

So right now, I bounce back and forth between Ruins level 5 and Tower level 5. While I'm building my potions and gathering appropriate runestones (no.4 and 5), I work Ruins level 5 with no.2 and 3 runestones and zero potion usage. Due to my skill set, I can clear a ruins L5 chamber in just a few minutes. Today I did 8 battles in 25 min with no potions averaging 93XP per battle, which levelled me up for another pair of red books.

I have already found 4 of 5 number 4 runestones for my next tower battle session; a few more days of potion making and another runestone and I'm good to go.

Note: The last time I did a tower 5 battle session, I took my wife along with me. I didn't notice a great deal of difference in family XP, but what was really noteworthy was the difference in my consumption of energy with her at my side. Usually if I'm solo for these sessions, I burn about 150+ energy. Working together, I only burned 70 energy!!

I also like the fragments I get from Ruin 5 battles with no.2 and 3 runestones. Today I prestiged jokes II & III to bronze and scored my first Hogwart's Express among other goodies.

You are quite advanced at rank 93. I imagine I'll need to adjust my strategy as I climb higher.

@Acumen comment incoming, flagged for review 🙄

• PunkyfinsPunkyfins Posts: 202 ✭✭✭
    #2128 August, 2019, 11:43 am.

This is an incredibly helpful thread. I've tried your stratagem @ZookiTabooki and it's working very well for me. So thank you! ^^

• mi7admi7ad Posts: 148 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019 #2205 September, 2019, 10:26 am.

@ZookiTabooki Nice topic! And I'm with you on this, but a little trick I use:

When you prestige a page, You better use runestones no. 4 and 5 to reach the max. number book fragments FASTER!

P.S: Calculation after that: if you short on 10 book fragments, use no. 1-2-3-4

8 book fragments, use no. 1-2-3

6 book fragments no. 1-2

4 book fragments just use no. 1

• darthtunaqueendarthtunaqueen Posts: 8 ✭✭
    #2320 September, 2019, 03:12 pm.

This was so helpful!!! I often dont even get to a challenge every day because I have a toddler who flips out when I play when we’re out (fair enough!!), and even if I can sneak it, no way do I dare attempt a higher level, learned that mistake in the middle of a level 10 fortress with a level 3 runestone and my kid faceplanted off the playground equipment... 🤦🏻‍♀️😱). I have SO many runestones (108, I just counted) because I can barely get anything accomplished.

• NearlyHeedlessNearlyHeedless Posts: 26 ✭✭
    #2420 September, 2019, 08:52 pm.

If you're looking for a "quick" 15 red books, level yourself and a friend to auror such that you can share focus (takes only scrolls). Then trade back and forth focus on the highest level chamber you can, as quickly as you can both manage. You'll lose the battle, but since there's no cool down on sharing focus, you can rack up hundreds of strategic spell casts for the cost of a single level 1 runestone. At 3000 strategic casts you get 15 red books.

Its a one-time thing, so not a great overall strategy, but on a time-per-book basis I don't think you can beat this.

• CeruleanGirlCeruleanGirl Posts: 626 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #2521 September, 2019, 07:45 am.

You say that you use level 4 and 5 runestones for your red spell book sessions. I rarely get anything above level 2. Is there a secret to getting higher level runestones, or am I just unlucky?

• AuroraKadavraAuroraKadavra Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #2621 September, 2019, 08:13 am.

@ZookiTabooki wot an absolute star!!! I'd missed this thread somehow, and lately have been perturbed by my lack of red books cos everything left on my skill tree now needs them. Ive been in low levels farming for books to prestige as daughter & hubby catch me up in fortress. It actually hadnt clicked why i wasnt getting the red books anymore lol. Its been bother me & frustrating.

Perfect timing for me to have seen this ready for today where exstimulos are more powerful & my plan already was to do my highest levels & try to smash it- ive saved alk my higher runes for it! Yes!! Get in!! I accidentally did something right 😂 woop!! Bring on those red books 😀

Thank you so much for your words of wisdom kind sir!

• HerMayreeHerMayree Posts: 77 ✭✭
    #2721 September, 2019, 09:59 am.

Thanks so much for all of the advice on this!!! I am an auror and have been needing red books forever!!! I'm at the point on my tree where I need at least 15 to do anything more (but the stupid red dot is back every time I get a scroll)! Bless you all!!!!

#2821 September, 2019, 01:21 pm.

@CeruleanGirl Good question, though I wish I had a better answer. The only thing I can think of that may be giving me the access I have is my wizarding level (33). I noticed since I hit 30 I seem to be getting a lot more fours and fives. Not sure if that's it, those of us at my level or above can confirm.

I'm going to take this opportunity to say how pleased I am this thread has been so helpful to so many. Thank you all for the kind words.

• ImaginatioImaginatio Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #2921 September, 2019, 02:56 pm.

@ZookiTabooki thanks for the awesome thread and amazing tips. I keep a lot of this in mind now whenever I go to do a fortress battle. 😊

• WerewolfChaserWerewolfChaser Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    #3021 September, 2019, 03:01 pm.

@ZookiTabooki I have made a note to keep records of runes awarded.

I can say my last rune was level 2, I'm level 41.

• AcumenAcumen Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #3121 September, 2019, 06:06 pm.

@CeruleanGirl, much like @ZookiTabooki I don't have a positive answer when it comes to earning higher level runestones. Based on my own experience, it feels like I'm more likely to get level 4 or 5 runestones for exploration families that are at rank 50 or above. I haven't been keeping track to prove whether that's true, however. Even if I did, my own numbers wouldn't be a large enough sample to come to any conclusion. Someone else's numbers might look entirely different. I'm pretty sure it's just random. Players will claim to have identified patterns, but we as a species have always done that; spotting patterns in places where none actually exist. Sometimes this behavior serves as a useful survival tool. In the modern world though, more often than not, it's the source of a lot of silly, imaginary nonsense.