Closing Wizards Unite amidst all 20th Anniversary events is a blunder

TarcTarc Posts: 20 ✭✭
edited January 7 in General Questions #1 latest comment 14 January, 2022, 09:49 pm.

Y'know, this is becoming one of the biggest gaming missteps of all-time., to close this game while there's an upswell in HP nostalgia.

"Hogwarts Legacy". an open-world RPG, coming in (hopefully) Summer of 2022.

"Harry Potter: Hogwarts Tournament of Houses", debuts as the highest-rated unscripted cable series of 2021.

"Harry Potter 20th Anniversary: Return to Hogwarts" on HBO Max. Rave reviews, a wonderful special to enjoy.

"Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore", April 2022.

What better time would there have been to pour some advertising money into Wizards Unite amidst the renewed interest in the franchise? Just when Story One was wrapping up, they could have been introduced the next one, attracting fresh faces who wouldn't feel lost coming to a story mid-stream.

Strolling down memory lane of the past of the franchise, and seeing what is still to come in film and the RPG areas, losing Wizards Unite is just a tough Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Bean to chew on.

Comments

• MerriLewisMerriLewis Posts: 2
    #207 January, 2022, 03:14 pm.

I agree! And I really love this game!

• CBG92CBG92 Posts: 485 ✭✭✭✭
    #307 January, 2022, 09:43 pm.

Agreed. Such wasted potential. The only game I play regularly too!

• ZephyrFluxZephyrFlux Posts: 54 ✭✭
    #408 January, 2022, 04:02 am.

@Tarc

they don’t care. They(Niantic) said the player base is not as popular as Pokémon Go. And the revenue is poor compared to that. On top of that, the constant bugs and lack of support. I, personally am glad to see the game end because of the bugs they can’t get fixed.

• RelariannaRelarianna Posts: 51 ✭✭✭
    #508 January, 2022, 01:39 pm.

It would have been nice if Warner Brothers could have used this as a marketing platform for other Harry Potter games and movies. I agree it had huge potential. I don't think this is a Niantic decision. We were the ones that tested new potential features for them. With Discovery taking over Warner Brothers, they will have to answer for every project out there. I am betting Warner Brothers didn't want to explain why this game didn't make as much money as the other games.

• coyotewoman42coyotewoman42 Posts: 55 ✭✭
    #609 January, 2022, 04:56 pm.

If they wanted another Pokemon...they could have built on this platform to give us that experience. I cycle between resignation, going down swinging and just chucking it in.

• rhondalearhondalea Posts: 17 ✭✭
    #710 January, 2022, 04:33 am.

@Relarianna It was most definitely a Niantic decision. Or rather, a John Hanke-driven decision. Not enough money, and apparently he didn't like working with Warner Brothers. It starts about a quarter of the way down.

https://www.theverge.com/22832490/niantic-ceo-john-hanke-metaverse-pokemon-go-ar-vr-podcast-decoder-interview

• Expelliarma7Expelliarma7 Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    #814 January, 2022, 05:15 pm.

I’ve seen enough posts over the last several months — from folx who understand the mechanics of the game — that tell me a few important things:

• players advanced in the game more quickly than expected (because we rock) 😉
    • the game devs were already finding themselves having to solve many problems of complexity with experimental code, causing fatal glitches left and right, and then
    • the pandemic hit, likely “forcing” the devs to introduce the Knight Bus before it was really ready to launch
    • the experiential and skill gap between new and advanced players became harder and harder to manage… (think Adversaries for one example)
    • ^all this, plus fragment-gate, plus the AdventureSync fiasco, affected the culture of the player base. For my part, when I first came to these forums, I was shocked at the toxic level of negativity (and the amount of trolling by some who IMNSHO chose to exploit people’s legit gripes about glitches by taking the doomsy rage even farther).

Sooooo…. I think it was death by a thousand cuts. And yeah, corporate apathy played a role, but I still separate out the top-level mucky-mucks from the amazing devs, storytellers, and graphic artists who put so much love and detail into this, so I’ve never found it helpful to subscribe to the simplistic “they don’t care” narrative.

After having had some time to process all this, I’m ready for the game to end. I have mixed feelings like many of us, but I’m looking forward to making the best of the last days, sending out some meaningful POI gifts, and maybe getting in a little more AR photography time. But … life goes on. 💫

• RumpelstilzkinRumpelstilzkin Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
    #914 January, 2022, 09:49 pm.

I had a great 2.5 years of playing, and I don’t mind that the game is ending now. My only regret is that I didn’t take enough screenshots of the awesome gift postcards people have been sending.