Urgent Help needed: Received two warnings??

JulieJubzJulieJubz Posts: 640 ✭✭✭✭✭
in Community Forum Feedback #1 latest comment 10 November, 2019, 09:51 am.

Can someone please help me? I've just logged onto the forum on a computer for the first time (usually do it from my phone), and saw in my notifications that I have two official warnings! They are as follows:

Warning

· 1 point · lasts 500 months

Warning 

The Harry Potter: Wizards Unite Community was created to be a safe and fun place for players to connect with one another and discuss their experience. Your community account has been found to not be complying with our Terms of Service and the Player Guidelines

If we find that you continue to violate any of the Niantic Terms of Service and Player Guidelines, your community account could face suspension or be permanently terminated.

-----------------and

Warning

· 1 point · lasts 500 months

The Harry Potter: Wizards Unite Community was created to be a safe and fun place for players to connect with one another and discuss their experience. Your community account has been found to not be complying with our Terms of Service and the Player Guidelines

If we find that you continue to violate any of the Niantic Terms of Service and Player Guidelines, your community account could face suspension or be permanently terminated.

Suspension

We take fairness seriously at Niantic. Your community account has been found to not be complying with our Terms of Service and the Player Guidelines and has been suspended. Your community suspension will be lifted within approximately 30 days.

-----------

I didn't do anything??? I even looked at their guidelines and I can't see anything in there that I would have done?? I don't cheat, all I do is play everyday? And both warnings were given today? One at 6:21 am while I was a sleep... I was active at 1:16 pm I think? But all I did was play, and again, I don't cheat or do anything other than play? Can someone please help me understand what I've done wrong?

Tagged:

Comments

• JulieJubzJulieJubz Posts: 640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #203 August, 2019, 12:44 am.

@HPWUMicah or @HPWULola , sorry to tag like this... but could I have some help on the matter, please? I am very confused :/

• binondogurlbinondogurl Posts: 26 ✭✭
    #304 August, 2019, 04:04 pm.

Lol I got one too and also no clue pertaining to what. Would be more helpful if they actually told you what the warning was for so you can remedy it. And having it last 500 months? What's up with that?

#404 August, 2019, 04:21 pm.

@binondogurl omg, yes. Plus the second one I got sounds so scary since it says it might terminate my account? Does that mean the game or just my account here? But at the same time, both accounts are connected so...?

I've emailed them trying to ask and they keep giving me the same response as the message “don’t do this, don’t do that” but they don’t actually mention what I supposedly did. Twice??

I really wish the admins would try and help. It’s been days.

#504 August, 2019, 04:27 pm.

@JulieJubz I'm not even on here with any regularity. The date I received the warning was within a period that I didn't even post anything. Go figure. Maybe I'll just stop posting altogether.

edited August 2019 #604 August, 2019, 10:04 pm.

@binondogurl honestly, it crossed my mind too. I rather stop posting than be warned for things without anyone here being willing to help?

Way to go for them basically killing the experience :/

• CraeftCraeft Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #704 August, 2019, 10:23 pm.

Hey @JulieJubz and @binondogurl - This happened to me (and a few others) a bit back too. Honestly, no idea why and then only got a link to the TOS that didn't answer my question of why. But it's since been cleared so since you reached out to @HPWUMicah and @HPWULola, I assume (and to be honest, I can ONLY assume) that if it is found to be a false warning, it will be restored. I've never seen ANYTHING from either of you that should flag for warning so I do hope it's resolved soon.

Please don't stop posting. This community is amazing and I'd love to see you both continue to be a part of it.

#805 August, 2019, 01:04 am.

@Craeft that makes me feel so much better! I really love being part of a community like this, and I felt really bad when I got the warnings, because I felt like I couldn’t be part of it even though as far as I could tell, I was doing everything right? I really hope it gets cleared up, I totally want to keep talking about the game with everyone 😭

#905 August, 2019, 05:20 am.

For what it's worth, @JulieJubz - I just got another one for... umm... something, apparently.

#1005 August, 2019, 01:54 pm.

@Craeft that's crazy, omg!

#1205 August, 2019, 05:55 pm.

Hi @HPWUMicah, thanks for answering.

So, just to be clear on this, even though we receive warnings through the forum, it is still best to try and handle it through the game app itself?

Because right now it feels a little confusing. From the two warnings I got, it made it sound like my actual game account can be affected, and that makes me want to give up on using the forum all together, since I don't want to lose my game account.

Second: I understand that language is a very important thing, especially since some players might be younger. But if warnings are issued without letting us know the specifics, you're doing a huge disservice to players like me who are foreign. Yes, I speak english fluently, but sometimes there are still double meaning to words that are harder to catch.

Right now the only two terms I can think of that I might have used that could be considered offensive, would be gr-nd-ng (i) and maybe d-mn (a) if I even ever used that one? But the first word mentioned depends on context.. and in gaming context, it's absolutely valid! And the second word, I didn't even know some people considered it a bad word, because again, I am foreign.

Also, I think it's cool that you guys are working to refine this, and I know it's a lot of work and I totally understand (thanks for all the hard work!), but I still don't understand how the warning system works. From my second warning, it says that I have been suspended? It also says that I think I'm on probation until the year 2109 or something?

Can you please explain how these things work?

• HPWUcaseyHPWUcasey Posts: 104 admin
    #1305 August, 2019, 10:07 pm.

Thanks for following up @JulieJubz, seems like a good idea might be to explain the process to the whole Community in a general post. I'll share the info here for your knowledge and do that as well.

When it comes to warnings, there are three levels:

1. Warning: You can accumulate two warnings max (1 point each) and continue operating in the Community unaffected. These are typically issued for lower-level violations of the Community Guidelines (like spam or profanity).
    2. Suspension: Once you accumulate 3 or 4 warning points, or receive a serious warning for a significant violation of the Community Guidelines (like abuse and harassment), your Community account will be put into suspended state. You will be able to read content and access the Community, but you won't be able to post or comment. This status lasts for 30 days.
    3. Termination: If you accumulate 5 or more warning points, your Community account will be permanently suspended.

At this time, Suspension and Termination in the Community doesn't impact your game account, so you will still be able to play. Additionally, you can still read Community content, you just can't post, comment or otherwise engage. Keep in mind that points are cumulative and don't expire (which is why you see the 500 month warning).

Because our support team handles these appeals, you'll need to submit your information to them through the in-app Help option. As I mentioned, we're making changes to the process to make it more apparently which posts was the offending one to help you better understand and correct your actions.

Hope that helps!

#1406 August, 2019, 02:20 am.

@HPWUMicah I went back over my posts prior to the warning issuance and honestly I'm not seeing anything that could be labeled inappropriate. Unless it's the word "b*mmer" (u) as it includes the word "b*m" (u)?

#1506 August, 2019, 09:47 am.

@HPWUMicah I've also now sent a message via the game Get Support page but only received the usual unhelpful generic response pointing me to the guidelines. Still doesn't tell me what I said wrong in my posts that warranted a warning.

edited August 2019 #1606 August, 2019, 03:06 pm.

@HPWUMicah got this response when I pressed for exact details of my alleged violation.

"Hello again,

Be assured that, a WIzard will only receive a warning if we believe it’s inappropriate or against our Terms of Service or Player Guidelines. We are unable to comment on what exactly the violation was for a particular account or person. Please do pertain to the community guidelines as provided in the link:https://community.harrypotterwizardsunite.com/en/discussion/22/harry-potter-wizards-unite-community-guidelines

Thank you for your understanding. If you have any questions, we are happy to help."

Edit to add: just found out after playing around my profile that the warning came from @HPWUModEN, though this looks to be just a generic mod account, so I guess no answers forthcoming from there too.

• GlimmermirGlimmermir Posts: 75 ✭✭✭
    #1706 August, 2019, 08:59 pm.

Has anyone ever gotten a warning and been told why?

#1806 August, 2019, 09:23 pm.

No. They never say why. They only link the ToS (which is exceptionally unhelpful).

#1906 August, 2019, 10:17 pm.

Thanks for the clarification @HPWUMicah, that's very useful stuff to know.

I'll just go ahead and add this suggestion a second time for future consideration: it might be a nice idea to create a list of some kind that explains certain words that can't be used (lower tier ones, and not outright profanity). This forum is international, not everyone's first language is english, and it would be hard for them to get as far as I did in figuring this stuff out :)

#2006 August, 2019, 10:30 pm.

Also, @binondogurl, @Craeft and @Glimmermir. Here's what I found out by contacting the in-game people. At first I got the same response that we get from the forum:

Hi Wizard,

Thank you for contacting Harry Potter: Wizards Unite support.

Our main priority with Harry Potter: Wizards Unite community is to bring Harry Potter: Wizards Unite players from across the world together to connect, chat and share their experience playing the game. We take action against players who violate the Community guidelines. This includes, but is not limited to:

Inappropriate Content

Discussing or Promoting illicit gameplay or services

Disrespecting other players

Posting unrelated content or Spam

Community Guidelines: https://community.harrypotterwizardsunite.com/en/discussion/22/harry-potter-wizards-unite-community-guidelines

Your Community account may be suspended or terminated if we notice unwelcome behavior. If your account has been warned or suspended incorrectly, please check your inbox to find an email with more details regarding the action that was taken.

Best,

--------

But I sent them another e-mail saying the exact same things I've been saying here, which are: I don't know what I did, I need help figuring it out so I won't accidentally do it again.

Then I got this response:

--------

Hi Wizard,

Thank you for getting back to us and sorry for the delay in responding.

The warning you received will be removed shortly. Remember that certain interactions that seem harmless or fun to you may be perceived completely differently by other players in the Community. On reviewing your contents, we noticed you have used inappropriate words and so the specific posts or comments were already removed from the Community page.

You can share your feedback, answers, report in-game issues and post questions to the Community Page. As long as you are abiding the Community guidelines, there should be no concern.

We appreciate your enthusiasm and contribution towards Harry Potter: Wizards Unite Community. 

Have a great day,

-------

I went ahead and e-mailed them one last time, asking if they could please specify what words they found in those posts, so that I don't use them again. And this is the reply I got:

-------

Hi J,

Sadly, we are unable to comment on which post or comment of yours provoked the warning and they have been already deleted from the Community page as well. As we discussed earlier, some communications that appear harmless to you may be observed contrarily by other players.

We welcome your further participation in Community as long as you strictly adhere to the Niantic Player and Community Guidelines.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

--------

In conclusion, I wish they hadn't deleted said posts without answering the question I had been asking all along. I feel like nothing got solved, because I'll always feel weird in not knowing what it is I said in the first place! It's like stepping in eggshells, never knowing if they'll crack or not.

Since they said they took away my warning status, I should be fine. But if I get another one, I don't know how I'll feel about staying in the forum.

I hope this helps.

#2106 August, 2019, 10:49 pm.

Yeah. That's similar to my experience too. They need to let us know WHAT we did wrong or we can't fix it.

In addition though, what I got from that is: "We don't bother actually looking at the offense but someone reported it so it MUST be a valid complaint." A very internet naive approach.

#2207 August, 2019, 08:41 am.

Well it's been nice talking to y'all but this style regime doesn't work for me. I'll stick to FB from now on where moderators are reasonable and tell you exactly what you did wrong.

• LucoireLucoire Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #2307 August, 2019, 11:02 am.

I really like your style of sarcasm and irony, @binondogurl 😂

#2407 August, 2019, 11:04 am.

That sounds very cynical, @Craeft.

@HPWUMicah As you can see, the process that you described isn't lived by the support team as it should be. Would you be so kind to check why that is?

• Xell75Xell75 Posts: 9 ✭✭
    #2507 August, 2019, 12:11 pm.

Those who do not remember history ( or are not told it, or are blantly refused any information), are doomed to repeat it.

• DubiousAffairsDubiousAffairs Posts: 235 ✭✭✭
    #2612 August, 2019, 08:51 am.

How likely is it that some of those could be due to misclicks on the Flag icon instead of the ThumbsUp ?

Also, I'm pretty sure that even if English is your mothertongue (which it isn't for me either), whether you are British or American can change what it considered A Bad Word.

• WerewolfChaserWerewolfChaser Posts: 646 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019 #2712 August, 2019, 05:14 pm.

I just answered a Russian post in Russian (no I don't speak it). Am I going to get a warning?

If the warning only comes up on computer not phone I'll be right. I rarely turn mine on.

#2812 August, 2019, 08:45 pm.

I’m pretty sure I figured out that d_mn (a) is one of them. I use that one from time to time but I never knew it was a bad word until a little boy acted scandalized when he saw it written on a comic my friend had drawn, haha.

Also, the warning can happen on the phone too. I just hadn’t noticed that the warnings are hidden under your icon (this only noticed them when I logged on the comp).

honestly, there’s plenty of words that are bad in other languages from English. So, it’s a hard line to walk for anyone who is a polyglot. 😅

• GlimmermirGlimmermir Posts: 75 ✭✭✭
    #2915 August, 2019, 08:35 pm.

My favorite with the problem pattern matching is that sometimes when you abbreviate a pokemon name in Pokemon Go the system will tell you it's an offensive name and you're like "I didn't name the critter, you did!"

#3016 August, 2019, 01:23 pm.

Sidenote: I used the word "goddamn" and my posting was NOT marked for review.

• DogoutlawDogoutlaw Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #3116 August, 2019, 03:17 pm.

Lol, so if we just take out spaces, we can use swear words? 😂😂