We’re currently investigating issues with the SOS Report appearing blank, Adventure Sync not working (Android), and in-app purchasing (iOS.) We will provide updates when we have further details.
Professor 101 — Harry Potter: Wizards Unite Community Forum

Professor 101

ZookiTabookiZookiTabooki Posts: 637 ✭✭✭✭✭
in New Players #1 latest comment 30 August, 2019, 04:11 am.

I chose Professor for my avatar as this profession plays a central role in a team environment. It’s only been six weeks since the official U.S./European launch of HPWU but I feel I have worked deep enough into the skill tree to provide some insight on skill progression. There are basically two paths you can follow down the rabbit hole. The choice between one way or the other really depends on whether you choose to train up your Hex first or focus on your Charms. I decided to forgo the Hex (except the initial skill which is required to progress any further) in favour of training my charms sooner, which appeared would be more effective in combat in the early stages of development. I’m saving the Hex for last; it’ll be the icing on the cake once its baked.

1. Mending Charm - Restore a Teammate’s Stamina by a small amount. This skill won’t take long to train as there are only two skills, ‘The Mending Charm’ and ‘Mending Charm Maxima’ that are required to max out your mending ability. This Charm is the weakest of the three and can pretty much be ignored until you wade deeper into the skill tree and your gameplay consists of team effort. I maxed it out quick as it didn’t take much and got it out of the way.
  2. Protection Charm - Enhance a Teammate by increasing their Defence. This Charm is the one Charm you should focus on initially as it is invaluable, especially in a team environment. As a bonus you can also cast this spell on yourself, improving your own defence.
  3. Proficiency Power Charm - Enhance Team Proficiency. This skill you won’t encounter until you wade more than half way into your skill tree. Although I anticipate making good use of this skill down the road, the cost in ‘Focus’ at seven (7) and it’s lack of usefulness in the early stages of development should lead you to put this spell on the back burner until you have at the very least, maxed out your Protection Charm skills.

All Hexes and Charms require ‘restricted section spell books’ (Green) to train and the limited availability of these special spell books (only acquired through in-game special events) will necessitate applying these books wisely. There are eight (8) other skills outside of hexes and charms that require restricted section spell books and all but one can be put on the back burner until you have fully fleshed out your skill tree. We’ll get to that one skill shortly.

All Roads Lead to The Proficiency Charm

All remaining skills that do not require restricted section spell books will take either Scrolls alone or a combination of Scrolls and regular Spell Books (Red) to train. The pattern appears to be that most skills only require scrolls to initiate but will require a combination of scrolls and spell books to max them out. So you can expect to open many skills with scrolls alone and then maxing them out over time as you acquire spell books from your work in the Fortress.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15ddfKxwHPwzk4aEM46NPoOsk0xB2JHyD

As you can see from the image linked above, I strongly suggest you max out most skills between The Protection Charm and The Proficiency Charm before proceeding any further. Once you hit the Protection Charm, you’ll have two roads to choose from; there are six (6) skills along each path and both paths lead to The Proficiency Charm.

From the Protection Charm skill, I suggest you begin by going left at the fork in the road, tackling ‘The Art of the Stance’, ‘Poppy’s Prescription’, ‘Nearly Headless Nick’ and ‘Falling for Quidditch’ right off the bat. This will vastly increase your Stamina. Once you have pumped enough scrolls into these four skills and you are waiting for spell books to max them out, now you can go back to the fork in the road, go right and do the same all the way down the chain. The path to the right will max out your Precision and Defence Breach skills plus give you a boost to your Power.

You will also notice in the image linked above I took the time to acquire the green-book-heavy skill ’Confidence ‘. This is the one skill I mentioned earlier. This skill was required as I REALLY wanted access to the skill ‘Divinating Details’ that Confidence leads to. This skill increases your initial focus from two (2) to four (4) which is invaluable for taking the strain off your Invigorating potions in Fortress challenges; but most especially if you intend to take a team in with you.

Once you have trained the skills above or you are waiting for red books to max them out, you can now begin training the following four skills;

1. Star Power
  2. Fly on the Wall
  3. The lost Masterpiece
  4. American Ingenuity

These four skills will take a whopping ninety-three (93) red books to max out! This is where progression on the skill tree slows right down to a crawl. Once you have pumped all the scrolls you can into these four skills and are now waiting for red books, you can then tackle ‘Protection Theory Analysis’ and ‘The Open Mind’ thereby increasing the effectiveness of your Protego power as well as the amount maximum focus you can store in combat.

From here, as you’re still waiting to max out the big four above, continue pumping scrolls into the last leg of your skill tree with ‘Confronting the Faceless’, ‘The Living Textbook’ and ‘Student Teaching’. These last skills are like polish, vastly increasing your Defence, Stamina and Protego Power respectively.

Once you have reached this point, most of the remaining skills in the tree will require restricted section spell books with the exception of three (3) skills that will improve your accuracy and proficiency power. This is the one caveat with following the path I have laid out above; Accuracy and Proficiency Power will take a hit from lack of development until you get back to them. And you’ll need to open some green book skills just to get access. 

Comments

• Osprey1Osprey1 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #201 August, 2019, 04:20 pm.

What is the typical balance of professions in the teams you play with?

I anticipated solo play so I went the other direction. I think you lay out a good strategy, but let me play devil's advocate for a moment.

Unless you are consistently playing in a team or gulping down copious quantities of invigoration potions you will, for the most part be playing a defensive game. This means that you will be able to stay in place and cast more spells.

In an environment that is ruled by limitations on both time and energy I chose a more offensive game. By focusing on damage through hex I can do more damage over time with fewer spells. This should allow me to complete battles more quickly with less required spell energy. In the right situations I can even just play protego and save spell energy.

As a result my focus is in order: deterioration hex - power - stamina - protego power - critical power.

• DogoutlawDogoutlaw Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #301 August, 2019, 05:11 pm.

I love this thread! While I also agree that focuses might change depending on whether you fight in teams or solo, I wish I had this kind of advice before I started going down the paths. I’m so new to this kind of gaming, I really had no clue. I took certain paths that afterwards realized weren’t the most effective paths. Also, since the protection charm says use on teammates, I didn’t know I could use on myself until recently 🙈 I would have looked at that more had I known. Oh well. I’m crazy excited about my date with Gilderoy this week so I can get that focus!!

• ZookiTabookiZookiTabooki Posts: 637 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019 #401 August, 2019, 09:19 pm.

@Osprey1 I appreciate your position and welcome your enquiry,

This may surprise you and in hindsight I should have concluded my assessment with this fact, but up until just recently I have been playing solo. My wife is just getting her feet wet with Fortress battles and we have only battled together a few times, enough though to begin understanding how to support each other. I battle every single day solo so I'm quite comfortable pushing my limits in the game.

Honestly, when I began down this road I had no idea of what I know now. I only had a hunch about laying off the Deterioration Hex. I did know as a Professor I would have an advantage against Oddities and as you know, we are flush with Oddities. I suspected Dark Wizards and Death Eaters would give me trouble having a natural weakness to Dark Forces, but having trained my deficiency skills as described above, they have turned out to be less of a challenge than I expected. But I was never sure until I got here. Now it's quite possible I could be further along than I am so here is my current setup and you can decide for yourself.

Level 28

Professor: Grade 8 - 305/550

Skills trained: 108/134

Focus: 4/15

Stamina: 333

Power: 66+5=71

Critical Power: 91%

Protego: 34%

Defence: 17% (will be 29% tomorrow 😁)

Precision, Deficiency Defence and Defence Breach are maxed out

Proficiency Power is at 20% (the minimum)

Accuracy: 0%

The last two I spoke about. My achilles heel, I think. Don't believe it's affected me much. So with this setup I can farm Fortress level 8 handily with very few potions. Once in awhile I get an elite encounter so I might combo an elite potion/potent exstimulo to deal with elites quickly and I've been able to handle everything up to 4 stars. When I want to have fun I tackle chamber nine with various runestones. I use a good amount of potions when I find myself facing Dangerous Pixies and Wherewolves but eventually, they go down too. Oh, and I rarely use Invigorating potions unless my partner is with me. She will transfer focus to me and I'll charm her. 😉

The following link will show you where I am at in the skill tree. You'll notice the juicy stuff is right on my doorstep. I figure in a few weeks I'll be taking on level 10 and with the wifey for support, who knows.; time will tell.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zqVGZhzJCv9LNZjKv5zhhw-JZTZ1WdsT

• AcumenAcumen Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #502 August, 2019, 01:21 am.

Very nice @ZookiTabooki!

I dig your approach and it’s cool of you to take the time to share it. Professor is a tough skill tree to get through with no obvious best path forward, but I’ve been thoroughly enjoying it.

• Osprey1Osprey1 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #602 August, 2019, 02:06 am.

I'm not that far ahead of you (Grade 9, 332/550). Mostly I'm going in with my professor wife and we are comfortable at Forest Level 2 (Chamber 12) . I've soloed it without having to use a potion but I don't regularly go into fortresses on my own and lately between the event and an SOS task for both of use to defeat formidable death eaters we haven't been pushing up in the tower.

We are now on an SOS task that requires us to complete battles with other wizards so we are having to adjust to their levels.

In terms of stats I'm a little ahead, the biggest difference is in proficiency power, defense and accuracy vs defense breach.

In the end I suspect we will all end up in the same place before the next set of training opens up. I wonder how people who start later or switch professions will adapt.

I also think that you need to be ready to adjust to solo play or group play as you go.

• QFittleworthQFittleworth Posts: 10 ✭✭
    #702 August, 2019, 05:43 am.

Also a level 28 prof (as of tonight!) and I am all about the Deterioration Hex! I definitely benefit from it, especially because my husband and I play together, and he is a Magizoo (our nickname for it) who Become the Beast. The combo of the hex, his augmented skills, and his revive abilities really make us a force to be reckoned with.

Great conversation and perspective on this thread!

• FireNightingaleFireNightingale Posts: 105 ✭✭✭
    #826 August, 2019, 09:59 pm.

As a soloer (and that's the main reason I went Professor in the first place!) I went for the Deterioration Hex as my first priority, and now I've maxed that & also beefed up my starting focus to the max of 4, I'm working on Protection Charm. I didn't initially realise that Protection Charm lasts for the whole of the fortress battle once cast. I'd started out concentrating on casting Deterioration Hex on my first opponent, but now - unless it's a tougher one for me - I cast Protection Charm and battle the first enemy with just that active, which usually allows me to cast Deterioration Hex on most of my subsequent opponents while still benefiting from Protection Charm.

• ZookiTabookiZookiTabooki Posts: 637 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019 #930 August, 2019, 03:24 am.

Ok, I've learned a few things since I began this thread, and I'd like to update my insight into the path I decided to take from the start, namely forgoing the Deterioration Hex until later. I feel fortunate. I still stand by this layout though a few things have changed.

If you followed along in the original post, I left off talking about 'the big four' skills and the time it would take to max them out. So, while I've been working on those I pumped as many scrolls as possible into the remaining skills, namely 'The Living Textbook' and 'Student Teaching'. At this point I was left in a position where I built an amazing 'tank' and started easily handling Forest level chambers. But without the use of potions, I found my Power was lacking. I'm an amazing brewmaster but I felt if I could reduce my potion consumption in the Forest, or better yet improve my Power, I might just be able to tackle a Dark chamber sometime soon. At least, thats the plan.

Now that the Hogwart's Back to School event is nearly over, I have committed to a path moving forward and saving the Deterioration Hex for last is no longer the plan I started with. But before I jump on the DH, I took all 30 Restricted Section books acquired from the Hogwart's event and trained 'Strength in Numbers' and 'Team Work Makes the Dream Work.' This was crucial to beefing up my Power when I carry 2 enhancements in battle.

Here's the funny thing. Except for the initial skill, I have yet to train the Proficiency Charm, and I don't plan on it until my Deterioration Hex is trained up. Yet the Proficiency Charm is crucial to gaining a total of 22 Power above the base in combat. What I know now that I didn't know then is having a pair of enhancements could make so much of a difference. So the Proficiency Charm at the moment isn't as useful for providing team proficiency as it is for bulking up my power in combat. I don't really need to train it up past the initial skill for now.

So, with all that being said, the next event will allow me to top up my Protection Charm (4 more green books) and begin training my Deterioration Hex. This will also allow me to deal with the two skills I have been lacking having taken this path; 'Summer Reading' and 'Flight of Fancy' which will finally deal with the achilles heel I was left with going down this road, Accuracy and Proficiency Power.

The Proficiency Charm will end up being last. Following training the DH, I am eyeing 'Team Teaching' before working on the Proficiency Charm. By then I expect to already be soloing Dark Chambers. Bring it on baby!

• AcumenAcumen Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1030 August, 2019, 04:11 am.

Nice @ZookiTabooki!

I feel like I could probably take on Dark Chamber I at this point. It's been unlocked and staring me in the face every time I enter a fortress ever since the last Community Day. I know I'll have to blow through a lot of potions to get through it though, so I haven't tried yet. I accept that using potions is a necessity to get through the Dark Chambers, even with all stats maxed out, but I still prefer to keep it within reason. I've yet to get back up to full stock on potions because I'm using them as fast as I can brew them lately. Plus, like you, I'll wait for another Brilliant event for some restricted books and perhaps throw some more red books at a couple of my core stats before diving in. The Dark Chambers aren't going anywhere in the mean time. They'll still be there, waiting, and being all dark 'n stuff.