Please Allow Potion Use Between Adversary Attacks

ChemistryIsFunChemistryIsFun Posts: 29 ✭✭
in Feature Requests #1 latest comment 22 November, 2021, 01:59 am.

I just got hit 8 times in a row by the three-headed dogs while doing a Norwegian Ridgeback Adversary chain. Fortunately, I started off on full health so survived it - but if it had been the dragon doing that, there'd have been no chance.

I'm assuming there's a Random Number Generator determining whether the player or the Adversary/Guard gets to attack in each "turn". I have no issue with the fact that the sequence isn't me-them-me-them-me-them. But you need to understand that Random Number Generators occasionally give really out-there results like this. Which is going to lead to very frustrated players and people quitting the game if it "kills" them too often. Given that lethal adversaries must be coming at some point, it seems likely that this is going to be an even bigger issue with them.

The simple solution is to give players a chance to hit the Potions button between attacks and use a healing potion to survive. Then you get to keep the "random" factor without completely destroying the experience.

Comments

• KodokmagKodokmag Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #216 June, 2021, 05:56 am.

Thats an epic jackpot i guess,i think mostly got 3 hit in a row from adversary very rarely got hit till 4 times in a row.

I always thought this is the same as "you taking too long action" in challenges (knight bus) or normal oddities suddenly hitting multiple times, they think we are on idle (which is not but got unreliable connection instead) while in fighting enemy thus they try to knock us out. Well this just my thought.

• HalloMamiHalloMami Posts: 191 ✭✭✭
    #316 June, 2021, 11:05 am.

Agree with the suggestion.

Unfortunately, this game is riddled with RNG stuff like this (although addmitedly, your issue is probably the worst offender), where mechanics rely on chances which ON AVERAGE would be ok, but also introduce the possibility that some players experience extraordinarily bad luck which in turns means that given enough players, some will.

Other examples include:

• Narcissa endlessly dodging
    • Never hitting a crit against an adversary and thus needing what feels like forever to defeat the opponent
    • Bad luck with rare spawns required to complete certain tasks
    • Even low level foundables consistantly resisting

And there is no (reasonable) way to work around those or to do better the next time. There is nothing exciting about this, this is just annoying to anybody experiencing it.

The major problem with that is all of the things above lack the satisfaction of actually succeeding. In the examples above:

• If she wouldn't dodge at all, I wouldn't feel like "Yeeees! Hit her every time!", it would be what I kind of expect to get anyways. Also, I don't care about that specific Narcissa, there is no real satisfaction with defeating this specific fragment of her...
    • Same as for Narcissa
    • I don't expect tasks of mainline events to be tricky to complete. If I would find the spawns right away, I wouldn't be like "Yay, luckily I got that!", like, it isn't satisfying (for me at least). Granted, if I find myself in the situation that one of the tasks ended up tricky to complete, there indeed would be somewhat of a satisfaction to find the last missing foundable, but a) before that I will have a longer period of time in which I - ok, thought not so nice things about whoever came up with this? And b) then there is obviously the possibility that I can't find the last foundable at all. How fun is that?
    • Really, there is no pay-off to return one of the 95% trash foundables, only annoyance when they resist. Yes, I could take a potion (and if I'd care about the foundable I would), but obviously that's not a realistic default approach...

In all of these instances having bad luck is annoying, but being lucky doesn't feel good. Or maybe that is just me...

• BartemiusHoochBartemiusHooch Posts: 39 ✭✭
    #420 October, 2021, 01:50 am.

I’ve been hit 8 times in a row as well. Narcissa and one of the dragons have done it. This was before I maxed dodge and only had a few points in it (so no dodging). I died both times.

• HarryPutter1234HarryPutter1234 Posts: 134 ✭✭✭
    #520 October, 2021, 03:03 am.

I guess they have to maybe add a limit for consecutive attacks. Like once turns = opponentx2, set oppTurnCount = 2, and so on. And then something like when/if, oppTurnCount =4, then turn = player. Thoughts?

• Duckbeak206Duckbeak206 Posts: 171 ✭✭✭
    #627 October, 2021, 05:38 am.

I have been hit 7 times by a vampire long before adversaries were a thing. #professorwoes

• JeroenixJeroenix Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    #729 October, 2021, 02:01 pm.

Well, after fighting all the normal oddity traces that are way too easy (even for low levels), Adversaries are supposed to be difficult. Be prepared for repeated attacks (like the OP was, apparently), have potions at the ready, and work on your combat skill tree. To me that's way more fun than making those easier as well.

Let's not make things too easy.

• StarAnise8StarAnise8 Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited November 22 #822 November, 2021, 01:17 am.

With the lethal adversaries attacking so frequently in a row, this clearly wasn’t considered a bug. Let’s not make things too frustrating either.

ETA: I’m maxed out on all the adversary lessons and still get defeated by this.

• zamiramoodyzamiramoody Posts: 16 ✭✭
    #922 November, 2021, 01:59 am.

Except that having potions at the ready is completely useless since we can't use a healing potion between attacks. I've gone from 90% health to dead 5 times so far with the Lucius Malfoy adversary.