Horned Serpents

ArtfulAnglerArtfulAngler Posts: 22 ✭✭
in General Questions #1 latest comment 09 October, 2019, 09:18 pm.

We have almost no horned serpents here in Colorado. I am trying to figure out where I could go to get some. Does anyone live in an area with lots of serpents where I could travel?

Comments

• Overflow4487Overflow4487 Posts: 387 ✭✭✭✭
    #224 July, 2019, 03:09 pm.

I see them mainly during dawn. I live in South Carolina. I’m not sure if this is the best place to find them though. I have been playing since the worldwide release and have only seen 18 of them. So not exactly a quick vacation to grab them and then head back home.

• SpahzSpahz Posts: 79 ✭✭
    #324 July, 2019, 03:35 pm.

have not even seen one yet, been out during dusk, dawn, evening and day

is there maybe something special about your terrain? Near/far from water?

donno, have several confoundables with no sightings so it maybe some other cycle

• CytopeAchenCytopeAchen Posts: 354 ✭✭✭✭
    #424 July, 2019, 04:12 pm.

I haven't seen any at Dawn but I see them regularly at Dusk. Someone reported that they seemed to appear close to lakes, rivers and creeks. I can't really confirm this though as everywhere around me is no more than 1 mile from a lake, river, creek or the Gulf...

Stay away from flagged areas, oddities almost definitively do not spawn in these.

• SpahzSpahz Posts: 79 ✭✭
    #524 July, 2019, 04:25 pm.

@CytopeAchen

Thanks for the tips!

there are a few lakes around here

given the opportunity, will try tonight

• AcumenAcumen Posts: 741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #624 July, 2019, 04:27 pm.

I live in Amarillo, Texas and had come to accept that they simply don't spawn here because I never saw one. All the other local players I've asked never saw one either. However, two days ago, I snagged two of them at dawn while hoping to find a couple doxies. It was significantly cooler than it has been since the game released in the US, and overcast. The in-game weather said it was rainy, even though it wasn't actually raining in my area at the time. People in Southern California have also complained about not seeing one, but many of them haven't seen any rain for a couple months. I think in dry areas, like the Texas Panhandle where I live, sightings are dependent upon weather. That's purely anecdotal though.

• AcumenAcumen Posts: 741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #724 July, 2019, 04:37 pm.

Some folks claim that horned serpents are subject to biomes, which is a PoGo thing. Biomes aren't really mapped out, and they seem to work sort of the way flags do in WU. People determine that a certain spot is classified as a water, or desert, or electric biome and so on simply by spending time in the area and observing what sort of Poke-peeps spawn there. It doesn't seem reliable, but I never played PoGo, so I'm not the best judge. Anyway, what I've heard is horned serpents only appear in water biomes, which are typically near actual bodies of water, but not always. I don't know of a way to determine where those are though. I don't think there's a biome map for PoGo, or at least I haven't found one.

• CrogabattoirCrogabattoir Posts: 77 ✭✭
    #824 July, 2019, 05:38 pm.

I have not found a horned serpent yet. I would be interested to hear from others that are close to a body of water if they are appearing there such as Pier 39 San Francisco.

• DogoutlawDogoutlaw Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #924 July, 2019, 05:41 pm.

So I generally get them at dawn and dusk both. No bodies of water nearby. And definitely away from flagged areas.

• Ve225Ve225 Posts: 100 ✭✭
    #1024 July, 2019, 06:24 pm.

Oh i saw them at dusk near a water reservoir. Now that you guys point it out, it kinda made sense, it spawn near it a few metres from the sore. As my work place a bit away it never spawn nearby, only when i walk on the sore it did spawn.

• ZookiTabookiZookiTabooki Posts: 502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1124 July, 2019, 08:07 pm.

I agree with @CytopeAchen , I never see them at dawn and always at dusk. They don't always come out though. I find oddities cycle from day to day; some days Horned Serpents, other days Leprechauns and as the night sets in it switches to Erklings and Vampires. Parks and areas not landmarked at dusk I think is your best chance.

#1224 July, 2019, 08:09 pm.

That’s weird you guys see them at dusk, I’ve only ever seen them at dawn here. Yesterday we had a huge rainstorm, not sure if that had anything to do with it. Not really close to water, so not sure.

• CaeleonCaeleon Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
    #1325 July, 2019, 06:50 am.

I see them usually at dusk. We're living wedged between a river, a canal and a small lake and they spawn rarely. I catch a lot of them in the middle of the city, away from all the water.

• Ve225Ve225 Posts: 100 ✭✭
    #1425 July, 2019, 11:32 am.

Yup, i just caught 2 of them in the middle of the city away from any water sources, but it had a few small fountains though if that count, but yeah it spawned at dusk. I'm in Asia so it's dusk

• SiragazSiragaz Posts: 141 ✭✭✭
    #1525 July, 2019, 01:28 pm.

Dawn and Dusk near water.

• SageWyzeSageWyze Posts: 15 ✭✭
    #1625 July, 2019, 08:02 pm.

@siragaz is right. They spawn both Dusk and Dawn.

• DogoutlawDogoutlaw Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1726 July, 2019, 04:59 am.

I just completed the serpent today! Two this morning and one tonight. Now to catch those doxies and leprechauns... given the variety of experiences everyone’s having, I’m really curious how they’re programmed to spawn. Like maybe there’s another connection we’re missing.

#1826 July, 2019, 12:19 pm.

I have heard the serpents are not appearing in “desert biomes”, so only places where there are water. PokeFodder lives in California and he hasn’t found any because his area of California is considered desert. I see them all the time in South Carolina. So, I think it has something to do with the environment.

• BanewyrmBanewyrm Posts: 2 ✭✭
    #1909 August, 2019, 09:16 pm.

There's a handy infographic someone threw together on reddit and it lists Serpents as Dusk, Night, and Dawn. So they never spawn during the day. But I've only seen 1 so far in Colorado and it was near a tiny pond at night.

• Osprey1Osprey1 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #2009 August, 2019, 09:45 pm.

I've heard rain is a key environmental factor which dovetails with when I got mine and explains the California/Carolina discrepancy.

• CraeftCraeft Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #2109 August, 2019, 09:47 pm.

I got mine yesterday. There were a lot of them out. Wasn't raining. No change in climate. I'm wondering if it's more of a "burst" situation.

• BeerenausleseBeerenauslese Posts: 1
    #2209 August, 2019, 09:52 pm.

FWIW, I came across more than one, at a church that is near a river, at dusk. I have been getting some all along, and usually walk along a river.

• BanewyrmBanewyrm Posts: 2 ✭✭
    #2309 August, 2019, 10:20 pm.

I will say other people in Colorado discords that have found them usually see them when it's been raining or near bodies of water like the Platte River as an example.

#2410 August, 2019, 12:36 am.

The key is water. Locations near water or during rainy weather and away from flagged areas is where you will find them. I just had 3 or 4 pop up 15min ago when my weather icon changed to rainy.

Makes sense as snakes are generally more active and moving during the rain.

#2510 August, 2019, 12:42 am.

That's also interesting though because I wasn't near any body of water (nor rain) when mine appeared, @CytopeAchen

#2610 August, 2019, 12:57 am.

Well they also randomly travel lol. While water that appears on the map stands out clearly I believe we discussed the potential of them also sticking to certain biomes similar to POGO. So while there might not be any water nearby I'd be curious to know if it was near a water biome.

#2710 August, 2019, 12:59 am.

I'm in Flint, MI.

I wouldn't exactly call it a WATER biome. ;) LOL

#2810 August, 2019, 01:11 am.

Lol did the Great Lakes and Flint River dry up recently?

edited August 10 #2910 August, 2019, 01:24 am.

Nah.

Flint just filled with lead, bacteria, and PFAS. Other than that, all's well. LOL

But we wish the Flint river would dry up. That's the source of our problems.

#3010 August, 2019, 01:28 am.

So I've heard. I have family and friends up there. Sad, very sad.

Who knows though, if you go play around it perhaps you'll pull a three headed horned serpent or a Technicolor one even!

• ZookiTabookiZookiTabooki Posts: 502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #3110 August, 2019, 09:10 pm.

@Craeft I agree with your 'burst' theory, this appears to be the case for me. Similar to my bell curve theory. I have since applied it to Doxys... I wake early, boot up the game. If I see one, I'll see others and get out of bed. If I don't, it's back to lala land.