Award more Spell Books for higher Challenge rank

binondogurlbinondogurl Posts: 26 ✭✭
in Feature Requests #1 latest comment 11 October, 2019, 09:18 pm.

Currently, leveling up the Challenge rank awards a flat 2 Spell Books per rank. I think it should be increased at certain intervals given that the required points increase incrementally per increase in rank. This is not like the Exploration Family ranks which remain at 100pts and awards 4 scrolls.

Nothing ridiculous, but an increase of maybe 1 additional spell book per batch of ranks reached in Challenge could be considered. For example:

Ranks 1-20 : 2 books per rank

Ranks 21-40 : 3 books per rank

Ranks 41-60 : 4 books per rank etc.

Comments

• ZookiTabookiZookiTabooki Posts: 637 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #221 July, 2019, 12:19 pm.

Although you may be right, your presumption may be premature. Up until I read your post I was fully expecting an increase in Spell Books as we rank up. Especially now that I can sorta see bottom on the skill tree, and anticipating an expansion of our skill trees in time, I can't see how they won't increase the supply. I do suspect though, unlike scrolls, the increase for spell books won't be so bountiful. I'm currently at Rank 28 in Challenges and so far, it's still only 2 books per trunk.

• binondogurlbinondogurl Posts: 26 ✭✭
    #321 July, 2019, 02:14 pm.

I am already Rank 32 and no increase so far. Hope higher ranked players can advise if there is an increase beyond my rank.

• ScreaminJHScreaminJH Posts: 35 ✭✭
    #421 July, 2019, 03:26 pm.

I hate to break it to you Binondogurl , I’m on Rank 51 and award is still 2 spell books .

• WerewolfChaserWerewolfChaser Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    #521 July, 2019, 03:34 pm.

In beta it was 5 red books per challenge level. It was changed a couple of weeks before it went live. RIP red books. :'(

#622 July, 2019, 12:15 am.

@Bumpa Rank 51 and still only 2 spell books per? oh boy. Here I am staring at two skills I recently unlocked where it looks like I will need a total of 56 spell books just to close them out. The only other way to get them is through Achievements. I guess I'll be focused there too. Think long term Zooki, think long term.

• DogoutlawDogoutlaw Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #722 July, 2019, 02:22 am.

@ZookiTabooki would one of those skills be initial focus?? I’m so curious what it requires!

edited July 2019 #822 July, 2019, 03:27 am.

@Dogoutlaw honestly the requirement for Divinating Details was so insignificant I don't remember. I maxed it out quick. The hard part was spending 15 Restricted Section Books on the previous skill (Confidence) to gain access to DD. Divinating Details is the only skill of its kind in the Professor skill tree and if I'm remembering correctly, it was rather cheap to max it out, much like a first level skill would be.

I love having Initial Focus at 4 now. Took the strain off my potion usage, especially when engaging the first foe; not much you can do with a IF of 2 without using a potion. Fortunately our foes also give us focus once defeated and the helps a lot too.

The two skills I was referring to earlier are 'Star Power' and 'Fly on the Wall'. I am currently 2/4 for each and the remainder requires 22 scrolls/14 spell books per level. DATS A LOT OF SPELL BOOKS!! lol I can only imagine what's coming next.

#922 July, 2019, 04:19 am.

@ZookiTabooki oh nice, thanks! Good to know it isn’t much after spending all those restricted books. I saved some of mine from current event, just in case. I know what you’re saying about the initial focus. I always hope it’s a pixie or werewolf first up so I can get through them without the hex. I try not to use the potion unless it’s totally necessary.

Holy smokes, that is a lot of spell books! The third tier of the tree definitely requires more from what I’ve seen so far! Well that will take some time to get through...

• binondogurlbinondogurl Posts: 26 ✭✭
    #1022 July, 2019, 04:33 am.

@Bumpa thanks for confirming. Such a bummer. The increase in rank requirement should really be accompanied by a corresponding increase in reward.

• PunkyfinsPunkyfins Posts: 202 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019 #1122 July, 2019, 04:06 pm.

• PunkyfinsPunkyfins Posts: 202 ✭✭✭
    #1222 July, 2019, 06:52 pm.

Agree wholeheartedly. As a "switcher" I'm finding red books increasingly cumbersome to come by, as it takes fight after fight for just the two. **** is usually part of any game, but this is getting a bit much.

• evieeeviee Posts: 16 ✭✭
    #1323 July, 2019, 05:40 am.

I completely agree! Please increase amount of spell books awarded for challenges.

I'm at the bottom of my skill tree wanting to upgrade power. 2 lessons I'm currently waiting for require 32 scrolls + 21 spell books and 38 scrolls + 25 spell books.

What's 2 spell books gonna do?!

• CathantricCathantric Posts: 20 ✭✭
    #1415 August, 2019, 08:08 pm.

I had made a suggestion that for every 10 levels of each family achieved, 1 spellbook would be rewarded. I'm hoping they make this change and reward those that already have reached those levels. If not every 10, maybe every 15 or 20 or 9 3/4? :)

• JulieJubzJulieJubz Posts: 640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1515 August, 2019, 10:56 pm.

Oh man, I had no idea it never went up... Yikes, this really needs to change o__o

• SpahzSpahz Posts: 133 ✭✭
    #1616 August, 2019, 02:53 am.

@Dogoutlaw just mastered both Initial Focus skills at 10 Spell Books each, so worth it BTW!

Looking at the Strategic Spells Cast III for +15 Spell Books, having the the +4 Initial Focus, seems possible now

#1716 August, 2019, 05:09 am.

@Spahz It’s awesome right?! So happy I did that one.

• HypnoTravelerHypnoTraveler Posts: 77 ✭✭
    #1816 August, 2019, 09:51 pm.

I agree with the many comments/suggestions here about needed changes to red spell book availability. I have 100’s of scrolls but only 4 spell books. The balance is not there regarding effort to reward. The suggestion of raising the reward with challenge levels even incrementally does seem good@binondogurl . The reward of red books for incremental family leveling that @Cathantric suggested also works. Some sort of change is needed.

• IIIIllllIIIIllll Posts: 12 ✭✭
    #1917 August, 2019, 12:00 am.

Red books are too hard to come by and something does need to change. I have a friend that's L37 and can't upgrade anything in his skill tree because everything else required more red books. He has hundreds of spell books that he can't use right now because of the imbalance. I would even favor some special events that focus on tower challenges to aquire more red books.

• mi7admi7ad Posts: 148 ✭✭✭
    #2017 August, 2019, 12:25 am.

If we didn't have so many scrolls, there were never be this thread :))

#2117 August, 2019, 07:18 am.

The red books create a roadblock to progression. It adds to a feeling of purposeless ****.

• DubiousAffairsDubiousAffairs Posts: 235 ✭✭✭
    #2218 August, 2019, 04:16 pm.

The Exploration Registry, any page of it, requires a 100 point maximum to earn you the scrolls. That does not change. Events seem to change. However, why should the Challenges Registry increase the number of points you require to obtain a spellbook ?

Some of the items you need to gather are already in more than a hundred Fragments, but on top of that there is a chance that you could receive shards of an item even after you have completed it, even when you are missing parts from another item.

At best, it is unbalanced. I'd go with "unfair".

• IIIIllllIIIIllll Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited August 2019 #2318 August, 2019, 11:58 pm.

So we get rewarded for 4 scroll books each day with the daily tasks....why not add an additional task to get 1 red book each day. It could be something simple as defeat a beast or spider in a challenge. The imbalance of scroll books and red books later in the game is a huge deal and people can't progress on their skill trees.

• AcumenAcumen Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #2420 August, 2019, 03:57 pm.

Since a significant number of players, even ones who weren't playing during beta, have already acquired all or most of the spell books needed to max out their stats, my powerful divination abilities have revealed to me that they will not be increasing the number awarded when a player increases challenge rank. Also, you are in terrible daaaaangerrrrrr! Spooky, spoooOOoooky, doom surrounds you! Wait, no... my glasses were just foggy. It's humid today.

• WerewolfChaserWerewolfChaser Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    #2520 August, 2019, 05:50 pm.

@Acumen Really? I'm a lvl 38 beta player lvl 13 auror that still needs 293 red books. That's including the 3 I picked up as reward after midnight.

I'm guessing the majority who have maxed their red books are professors as they only need 320.

• Overflow4487Overflow4487 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭
    #2620 August, 2019, 06:59 pm.

This professor still needs 1290 scrolls, 241 red books, and 165 green restricted section books.

However, I am moving a little more slowly than others (Player Level 26, Professor Level 9). I can imagine at 2 red books at a time it will be a long time before I hit the amount of books I need to finish this skill tree.

• AcumenAcumen Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #2720 August, 2019, 09:10 pm.

I'm a professor and I still need 191 red books, so I'm nowhere close. I'm not in any rush to max out all my stats though. **** isn't my thing. Sounds awful. I'll get there eventually. But yeah, just based on the fact that there are a decent number of players out there who've already blown through their red book requirements, I don't think we'll see the drop rate increase. I'm sure there will be more events like the last community day though, with increased challenge XP to help speed things up a bit. I know some folks who didn't have a team to play with were disappointed with the last event, but future challenge-focused events might be better for solo players. So far, from my perspective anyway, it seems like they've done a pretty good job tweaking with events to try and accommodate all demographics, and we're only a couple months in.

• IlaDragonIlaDragon Posts: 2 ✭✭
    #2820 August, 2019, 10:02 pm.

I totally agree. Even for us people who are taking it more slowly (Player Level 25, Challenges Rank 23, Magizoologist level 8) it is still a bit frustrating to only get 2 spellbooks every time. I also do not live anywhere near a fortress so it is hard to get there all the time to be able to keep building up to the treasure truck levels so it is even slower than normal.

#2921 August, 2019, 02:28 am.

I’m level 32 challenge 39 but no where close regarding red books as a professor. I do appreciate the Brilliant events!

• JulieJubzJulieJubz Posts: 640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #3021 August, 2019, 07:23 pm.

Brilliant events are really life saving right now.