The flag

ThirtyfiveThirtyfive Posts: 5 ✭✭
in General Questions #1 latest comment 04 July, 2019, 05:13 pm.

On the maps certain areas have a flag that state that in that specific area more traces of that type will appear I would just like to know is that confirmed because it seems I get a variety of all traces maybe it's because I havent been out of this area very much

Tagged:

Comments

• NikasNikas Posts: 25 ✭✭
    #203 July, 2019, 04:22 am.

I confirm it

at locations with a flag, objects of any type can occur, but those marked with a flag will be there almost guaranteed

often came to locations with a flag when I had a few finds to close the page. spent quite a bit of time to prestige it

• Osprey1Osprey1 Posts: 599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #303 July, 2019, 04:23 am.

My experience has been that the foundable family on the flag appears much more frequently than other families.

• ThirtyfiveThirtyfive Posts: 5 ✭✭
    #403 July, 2019, 04:26 am.

Ahh well thanks for the info I guess I've been seeing more traces of that type have been in that area I'll know more once I have enough time to travel outside of this area thank you folks have a good day

• LupoSolitario83LupoSolitario83 Posts: 2 ✭✭
    #503 July, 2019, 10:40 am.

I have just some questions about flags...

Are flags random as type and zone?

why in some zone there are even 3 flags?

Is there a way to create them and choose where put them?

How long they last?

Sorry for so many question but i didn't find much info about them

Thanks for reply

• CrinoloCrinolo Posts: 1 ✭✭
    #603 July, 2019, 03:26 pm.

LupoSolitario83 - Based on research from The Silph Road about Pokemon Go (which as another Niantic game, shares much of the same systems), the 'flagged' areas in HPWU seem to relate to various tags defined in OpenStreetMaps.

I've haven't looked to see if anyone's determined which tags correspond to which flag types, but I imagine there is a connection there. Zones with multiple flags are likely just multiple zones with different tags.

Technically, you could create them by editing OSM, but for the sake of everything that uses it (which is a lot more than just Niantic's games), any edits should match what's physically at that location. Editing it purely to put something in the game is not a good idea. And any changes won't be reflected right away -- Niantic periodically will update their own data to match what's there, but they have often gone months in between doing so.

In theory, at least, the flags should stick around indefinitely, unless changes to OSM remove the tags that define them.

#703 July, 2019, 03:31 pm.

@LupoSolitario83 My school and the law school next door both got Hogwarts School flags. I see a lot of parks, marked in light green on the map, with Magizoology flags. My neighborhood Walmart has a dark arts flag, but that could be a coincidence.

• PeterWisePeterWise Posts: 1 ✭✭
    #803 July, 2019, 08:26 pm.

I have seen the DADA flag at bank, and care of magical creatures at a local Pettco

• HPWUcaseyHPWUcasey Posts: 104 admin
    #904 July, 2019, 01:56 am.

Hi there everyone! Good catch, these flags are called "Landmarks" in Harry Potter: Wizards Unite, and they're areas where specific sets of Registry collectibles are concentrated. In these areas, you'll find an unusually high number of Traces matching the Landmark type. These locations have flags corresponding to one of the Registry Families. For example, you are more likely to find a Niffler at a Magizoology Landmark. Hope that helps!

#1004 July, 2019, 02:01 am.

I noticed today a strong correlation between actual flags and landmarks. That would make banks, schools, post offices and other places that normally have flags good places to look for landmarks. Can anyone else support this observation?

• MagalianMagalian Posts: 13 ✭✭
    #1104 July, 2019, 05:13 pm.

Has anyone been to a landmark flag and not got any traces? Ive been to 3 in totally different areas and literally didn’t get any while hanging around in the area