September Makeup Community Day

13»

Comments

• ElsabrythElsabryth Posts: 1
    #6318 October, 2020, 11:13 am.

I am so done with the single day events. It is a game not a life style. Gathering 90+ items? Real people have real jobs and real lives. This is the third time I found the event to be no fun.

• FilthyfetaFilthyfeta Posts: 1 ✭✭
    #6418 October, 2020, 12:07 pm.

This is the only HPWU event I have failed to complete - and I see I'm not alone in that, and I'm not the only one frustrated by the difficulty of the tasks. Have now started the October Community Day event, and am encountering the same frustrations. At least this time, I'll know to give up rather than waste my precious resources on a wild goose chase.

• SerenDubhSerenDubh Posts: 7 ✭✭
    #6518 October, 2020, 12:11 pm.

I decided not to take part in this event after being so disappointed in previous WU events. The tasks demand too much energy, time and items for very little reward.... 3 DADA books is nothing when I need 20 to unlock one SOS node. I really think you've got the weighting of time / energy / resource Vs reward of these events completely wrong.

On top of that the event clashed with the Pokémon go community day, which with good rewards of boosted stardust and the chance to get a good amount of much needed mega energy, it wasn't a difficult decision.

• coyotewoman42coyotewoman42 Posts: 28 ✭✭
    #6618 October, 2020, 12:24 pm.

12 hours to complete a make up community day. Only after wiping out what little resources I was able to recoup from the most gruelling wizarding weekend I have experienced. So of course have another event the next day with yet another event looming in 2 days.

The events themselves are challenging, not really pandemic friendly but doable only if you have a great store of potions and ingredients. HPWU must really be counting on their players paying real world money

Personally, I loved this game enough to break my rule of never doing in game purchases but this is nothing but a cash grab. The real game challenge has become what can I complete with what I have on hand. I have managed to complete all but one event since day one. This will be the first time I have walked away from an event to focus on rebuilding resources.

• ConfuseWolvesConfuseWolves Posts: 3 ✭✭
    #6718 October, 2020, 12:33 pm.

I really liked the spawns for Newt and the Veil but for a 24 event and barely any prophecy ball spawns made it hard to finish the tasks. I have always finished all the event tasks until this one. This is supposed to be fun but these tasks made it into a chore. We have lives outside of HPWU. Please make the tasks less harder and ridiculous next time. The last brilliant event was equally painful. Just stop making it challenging. It shouldn't be a part time job.

• LeaderofthedaLeaderoftheda Posts: 7 ✭✭
    #6818 October, 2020, 12:35 pm.

For the first time ever I didn't complete all the tasks. Too hard. And I am a level 52 consistent player. Played for about 4 hours yesterday. Why are these getting harder and harder? Takes out the fun.

• DetinaterDetinater Posts: 4 ✭✭
    #6918 October, 2020, 01:03 pm.

I spent 5 hours yesterday using TTD's and could not complete the event. This has left a bad taste in my mouth. I won't play Sunday's event. I am seriously considering an uninstall. I will give myself a few days but I don't see myself giving any more effort into this. This is horrible game design. People should want to spend time because it's fun. Not grind for zero reward. 

• OpheliaVoxOpheliaVox Posts: 2 ✭✭
    #7018 October, 2020, 05:02 pm.

This event was absolutely awful.

I used roughly 11 tonic for trace detection and was still unable to complete the event. This represents 6-7hrs in a day of playtime but unable to complete?? That’s ridiculous.

On top of low event spawns there was negligible energy on the ground, 6 baneberry and 1 erumpent horn. In 7 hours.

I’ve played since the launch but any more events like this will have me retiring the game. Games are supposed to be recreational, not a full time job.

I’m not sure if the devs are simply ignoring pandemic protocols where they are based but some of us are living in compliance with these safety measures - the game is unable to be played from home. Completely negligent and frankly unsafe game mechanics.

To say I’m very disappointed in the thoughtless direction this game is taking is a gross understatement.

• HKgergerHKgerger Posts: 2 ✭✭
    #7118 October, 2020, 05:35 pm.

First off, I really enjoy playing Wizards Unite. I play daily, and yes, sometimes the brilliant events are a grind with earning family XP, but the rest of the event, and the rewards earned are worth it. I also really appreciate the free bundle that is always dropped for Community Day and brilliant events.

September's make-up community day was a fun up to a point. Where were the Prophecy Record spawns? My phone tells me I played for six hours. I wasn't at home for all those hours. I took a walk to my local park, and I played while my husband drove us to pick up dinner. While I waited for our dinner to be ready, I dropped a dark detector at an inn. I didn't finish the event because I needed four Prophecy Records.

Yes, I earned a good chunk of XP. Yes, I earned lots of Field Guides and Ministry Manuals. However, it is disappointing to not finish the event after playing for six hours when players are specifically told the event has been modified in order for everyone to play "wherever you are." The only way to earn DADA books is through events. If players cannot finish an event after playing six hours, programing needs to be checked and modified.

• CBG92CBG92 Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    #7218 October, 2020, 05:45 pm.

@HKgerger I don't think the problem is how much you play/don't play. It's that so many people were complaining about others finishing so fast so now they're trying too hard to make the tasks take the whole time to complete rather than let people either take the whole time if they want or finish fast if that's what they choose to do. I personally wish people that think it's not taking enough time to finish would just take breaks to make it last longer, because this is the result now and now twice the amount of players are unhappy and quitting because it's now too much of a "challenge" aka impossible unless you play nonstop, and that is ridiculous

• CeruleanGirlCeruleanGirl Posts: 417 ✭✭✭✭
    #7318 October, 2020, 06:03 pm.

I found this event to be similar to all of the other recent events. I had no trouble finishing it because I can play away from home. It’s once again the play at home aspect of it that doesn’t work.

Although this one was not as bad as previous events as far as the number of relevant traces that spawned with a TTD while in my house, it still didn’t seem to be enough to be able to finish without playing nonstop for most of the allotted time. I think that maybe that’s a good sign and they are trying to make adjustments.

Sunday’s event seems to also be better so far, so hopefully that means they are listening and working on the issue.

• PadreSeanPadreSean Posts: 3 ✭✭
    #7419 October, 2020, 02:35 am.

Those requirement numbers were WAY too high for a single day event. Not fun at all.

• BigtoothpixBigtoothpix Posts: 2 ✭✭
    #7519 October, 2020, 05:04 am.

I finished the Saturday comm day in 16 hours of play time out and about in my city (we aren't locked down) and 5 hours on Sunday comm day. It was fun but not sustainable - I don't always have that much time available to play. I just reached level 59 and look forward to taking a break for awhile after I reach 60.

I loved the reduced potion brewing time for TTD and really hoped the peculiar portkeys would yield a boat load of erumpent horns, but alas I think they gave every ingredient but horns. Would also be nice to boost the TTD ingredients on the map during the special brewing window. Didn't that happen in 2019 with boosted spawns of BBE ingredients during a comm day?

• NetraaNetraa Posts: 2 ✭✭
    #7619 October, 2020, 02:35 pm.

Yeah, add me to the list of people hacked off at these idiots. This would have been the first event my wife would jot have finished and it had her nearly in tears out of frustration. 6 hours of intense game play in multiple parks, and known hot spots. I threw in the towel with less than.half of the prophecy I needed and 11 TTD used. She started early at home and used 17... and after giving up, snagged the last prophecy on the way home.....

Need to rename DADA to DGAF.

• crazylikeafox11crazylikeafox11 Posts: 4 ✭✭
    #7719 October, 2020, 03:43 pm.

I understand we get a full 24 hours of community day due to covid but a community day should still be able to be completed in a pre-covid length community day amount of time. Had this community day not been 24 hours and had been a standard 3 hour time frame, I'd not have completed it.

I played a bit in the morning picking up random spawns before pokemon go community day. This was maybe 30 minutes of play time. Spawns seemed promising so I figured I'd easily be able to complete this in the evening after pogo community day. I honestly thought it'd take me about an hour of TTD to finish Wizards CD. I got back from pogo community day at 5:30. I completed the wizards community day just before 11:00 pm after about 5 hours of WU CD play.

After two solid hours of tonic for trace detection (plus what I had managed in the morning so 2.5 hours of play at this point), I only had 12 prophecy records and roughly the same number of interdepartmental memos. Since these things were so rare and precious during this event, I was using dawdle draughts and potions to help ensure I returned them. It was after 8:00 pm at this point and based on those rates, I didn't think I'd be able to finish the event using TTD alone. Fortunately I live by a few high density spawn areas so I went for a drive. Over an hour later and I had only found 9 more prophecy records. So then it was after 9:00 pm and I had exhausted the play areas that should have produced spawns and considering what to do. I decided to just go home and hope that I could get the last prophecy records I needed on TTD before I fell asleep. Less than an hour of TTD and I was only needing 3 more. I was hopeful that I'd be able to get it on the last TTD. But that TTD only spawned one prophecy record. I had to keep going and as it was after 10:00 pm, I wasn't leaving the house again.

After reading everyone else's experience, I should be fortunate that I did complete the event and that it only took me 7 TTD and 5 hours of play which included a bit more than an hour of driving around to hunt for spawns to complete. If this was a normal 3 hour community day, I'd not have completed it because the spawns were terrible.

This game is becoming such a slog. Wizarding Weekend at the beginning of the month yielded half the results of previous WW because the spawns weren't there. Then we had the terrible 700 hp Brilliant Event. Then we had the nearly impossible to complete September Make Up Community Day. Give us some fun events. I've hardly been opening my game to catch and play this month because it's just been so awful. I checked today and the "adjustment" to the brilliant event spawns is laughable. 500/400 hp on brilliant spawns is still too high. These are not fun to return. Things that were once fun are becoming difficult even for seasoned players. It's off putting to existing players. Surely these events can't be garnering interest among new players. New players still wouldn't be able to take down a 500/400 hp brilliant spawn.

I think part 2 of the brilliant event is the last event this month and thankfully so. I'm not looking forward to that. It's another week of terrible spawns that I won't want to open my game for. I really hope things improve with next month's events.

• midnitiemidnitie Posts: 1 ✭✭
    #7819 October, 2020, 04:31 pm.

I would like to echo the same sentiments shared by many other players regarding the makeup community day for September. Community Day used to be about getting the community together and play together - granted, in this post-Covid world, social distancing rules dictates that we are 2 feet from each other. It was a day where rare spawns are suddenly not so rare, and people could really work to finish and prestige pages that they've been just waiting for that one fragment to show up. In that sense, this makeup community did not do that. Not only did it not provide the traces necessary to prestige any single page, but the assignment associated with the community day required too much effort for too little reward.

How much play testing is done beforehand and how on-the-ground are these play tests being done? Do the game masters even play the game themselves without the privilege of a game master in-game? Do you try to put yourself in a rural area with little/no natural spawn points and see if you could finish the assignment within a reasonable time? At the end of the day, this is a game and not someone's life - it should be a fun distraction from the harsh realities of life (especially this year). I don't see how this entire community day experience counts as "fun".

• ChemistryIsFunChemistryIsFun Posts: 6
    #7919 October, 2020, 06:54 pm.

September Make-Up Community Day was HORRIBLE!!! The problem was two-fold. First of all, you didn't boost the spawn rate of the required foundables nearly enough (most notably, Prophecy Record and the Memos - but at least you only needed 20 Memos whereas you needed 30 Records). Second of all, you DID boost the spawn rate of two completely useless foundables (the male and female Ministry Officials) that look EXACTLY THE SAME as the things we were searching for until you click on them. So, even when they found high spawn areas, players wasted enormous amounts of time clicking on things that turned out to be useless. That's not fun.

My best guess? You just boosted "everything Ministry of Magic" and figured that would do the trick. Not realizing that the crazy high spawn rate of the two useless foundables was preventing players from seeing a reasonable number of the things they were looking for. Next time, just boost the event-related spawns. Not the supercommon other foundables in the same family. Sunday's event was less painful because at least we knew to ignore anything that didn't have a red or orange streak.

Also, please remember that the majority of your players do not live in major urban centers where they can hit 20+ foundables from home at all times. To complete this event, my husband and I had to drive through the major spawn points in our 100K population city for 2 hours. That's not fun. And it's not what this game is supposed to be about. And I'm not sure we'd do it again. A Community Day should be fun. It should be playable in less than the 3 hours that they normally are. Even by relatively casual players. I'm sorry if the folks in New York and Tokyo and bored and find the game "too easy". But making it impossible for everybody else isn't really an appropriate way to deal with that.

Fun fact. I am the reason why at least four other people play Pokemon Go. I would never recommend that any player pick up Harry Potter at the moment. After the adjustments you made to make the game "not too easy anymore" for people who have progressed far along the SOS tree, there's no way that it's still playable by new players without the SOS tree boosts and "level up" boosts. And your Community Days aren't fun anymore. I know more people who used to play Harry Potter than I know who currently play Harry Potter. Please go back to the drawing board and find a way to make your game fun again for the majority.

Another fun fact. Players don't spend money on a game "because they have to". Players spend money on a game if they enjoy it and want a boost. If I feel like you're trying to force me to spend money on a game, I won't. I'll just quit. I thought it was in extremely poor taste to hold an event in which all of the target foundables were Severe or Emergency and for which most players would need help from Estimulos to have a decent catch rate and, in that same event, tell the players to dump 7 Estimulo into fortresses. That reeked of "go buy our Estimulo crate". Well, I did NOT buy the Estimulo Crate, but it left a very negative impression and I am much less likely to spend money on your game than I would previously have been. I am simply learning to "bank" very large quantities of any potion that might ever be useful.

• RadretiredRadretired Posts: 4 ✭✭
    #8019 October, 2020, 09:27 pm.

I have been playing this game from day one and I am at level 49 and have completed all the Auror fundamentals.

Recent events require too much time to complete. I was unable complete this Makeup event (not enough Prophecy Records).

I will stop participating in all events until I see, in this forum, some indication that these long arduous events have changed. Until that time the only task I will complete is one that I will impose on myself. I will not spend another cent playing this game (including keys) until the events can be completed in a reasonable length of time. In my opinion 1 or 2 hours of dedicated game play should be the maximum amount of time spent on any weekend or Brilliant event.

• WhiteWitchxWhiteWitchx Posts: 11 ✭✭
    #8119 October, 2020, 09:30 pm.

Hi

i collected a lot of ingredients for the TTD potion, to prepare myself for the half hour brewing time, but when they ran out, I couldn’t find any Baneberry in sight... normally there are tons of this ingredient, but when you need more during a community day, nothing, none, to be seen anywhere, until the time is up and way hey baneberry magically appears... what’s going on ... do you stop this ingredient so we can not amass the TTD Potion

another thing due to COVID and lockdown how can we possibly play this game when there’s hardly any energy on the map... we can run out of it very quickly, but can’t replace it .... unless your wanting us players to buy it??? Fro boost your profits, if find that a tad unfair, I play the game to enjoy and relax but recently it seems the opposite l,?with so many bugs in the system, you can’t even repair the bug with the flares that are incorrect, this should be a priority, as we have to open the trace and find out if it’s worth a potion but sometimes the trace disappears and you’ve lost it.

this really isn’t good enough your meant to be experienced developers your paid to give good content to your players but recently the content and bugs are upsetting the plays, you need to bring your A game back when I first played this game over a year ago

Please go back to the drawing board and take account of what your players are asking of you a better service all round

• hpwulolahpwulola Posts: 944 admin
    #8220 October, 2020, 03:40 am.

Thanks for all your input regarding this event. I see a trend in comments here and completely understand your frustration and feedback. I will echo this sentiment back to the team.