[SoS Task] "Defeat 10 formidable pixies" needs to be changes

FunkyGaarothFunkyGaaroth Posts: 22 ✭✭
in App Feedback #1 latest comment 07 September, 2019, 05:23 pm.

Howdy folks!

Today I want bring to your attention this SoS task that is the bane of most of the wizards and witches that reach it.

Why is that? Because the chance to face exacatly a formidable pixie is really low.

Even if you are a professor, which should help in "luring" more foes of your proficiency, you may end up against other formidable foes you are proficient against. For other professions, this is just plain worst.

I think the best way to fix the pain this task gives is to just convert it in "Defeat 10 formidable FOES". That's it. Just make it "general".

How do yu feel about this task?

Comments

• SpahzSpahz Posts: 79 ✭✭
    #212 July, 2019, 03:36 pm.

lol

agreed! well maybe a week ago

though since just completing the task, am inclined to leave it be

• bonzorkbonzork Posts: 13 ✭✭
    #312 July, 2019, 04:04 pm.

I feel like in the last couple of days, my formidable pixie percentage has dropped to 0...very maddening

• Osprey1Osprey1 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #412 July, 2019, 04:29 pm.

I am a professor so it was the first task that I feel was an appropriate level of difficulty. It gets harder.

• CaeleonCaeleon Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
    #512 July, 2019, 05:44 pm.

I don't mind it being pixies. It's just annoying that higher tier pixies don't count. Imposing formidable pixie? You wipe the floor with it but alas it's no plain formidable pixie so it doesn't count.

And the fact that my wife has to do the same quest isn't helping 😅

• Overflow4487Overflow4487 Posts: 389 ✭✭✭✭
    #612 July, 2019, 09:35 pm.

I just started on this challenge today. I have 2/10 from 6 battles. So getting them about 1/3 of the time (so far).

• AlexDeeAlexDee Posts: 8 ✭✭
    #713 July, 2019, 03:56 pm.

• SamuelHaightSamuelHaight Posts: 96 ✭✭
    #814 July, 2019, 04:29 am.

I feel pretty fortunate. I completed the task in like 8 or 9 battles. LOL

• Overflow4487Overflow4487 Posts: 389 ✭✭✭✭
    #914 July, 2019, 11:35 am.

I’m now up to 18 battles and have gotten 6 of them...so still only encountering them about 1/3 of the time.

• FunkyGaarothFunkyGaaroth Posts: 22 ✭✭
    #1014 July, 2019, 04:21 pm.

@Overflow4487 i guess you are a Professor?

• SiragazSiragaz Posts: 141 ✭✭✭
    #1214 July, 2019, 10:27 pm.

You think that one is bad? Just wait until you get to the Doxie / Wearwolf one like 2 or 3 after that one.....

🐍

• OzTheWiseOzTheWise Posts: 32 ✭✭
    #1315 July, 2019, 03:30 pm.

To my mind, the main problem is that its not clear how to find them or if its completely random.

#1415 July, 2019, 07:22 pm.

I agree with the OP, this is just too **** hard to do and I've now officially given up after about 3 weeks. What I tried:

• Stalked Chambers 3-4 every day as an Auror (my profession) in the hopes of stumbling upon one... I've only ever seen 2 in the space of 3 weeks.
    • Switched to Professor, invested a number of Healing Potions into Chambers 3-4 because obviously I have no skills and am very weak as a Professor. I have seen a few more Pixies but a total of ZERO formidable ones.

I'm at a loss as to what else I could try, the spawning is just too random and 10 is an awfully high number. I know it's not impossible as other players have completed this task, but I think Niantic needs to find a better balance between challenging and just plain frustrating.

#1517 July, 2019, 01:59 pm.

@AlexDee ouch that's unfortunate. I'm having a decent success switching to empty Professor and doing lv 3-4 frotresses.. after a dozen of tries I've already seen 3 form pixies. Slow but steady progression!

Don't give up! Also:

• don't heal, lv3 and 4 have plenty of time and you can afford to die 2 times and still have time to clear enemies
    • if upon entering you don't spot the form.pixie, jump in the first fight and flee immediately, more foes should spawn and hopefully a pixie is amongst them. Focus on it then eventually clean up the rest. Even if you fail the fortress that initial pixie will be counted!

Best of luck!

• NearlyHeedlessNearlyHeedless Posts: 26 ✭✭
    #1617 July, 2019, 02:21 pm.

I eventually finished it up today. Yay, 5 whole gold pieces are mine!

I really think the whole SOS thing is just best treated as an unexpected bonus rather than something really to grind towards - unless there are better rewards coming of course.

#1717 July, 2019, 02:57 pm.

Indeed is not for the rewards, but the SOS tasks are basically the main thread of the story + a small tutorial

• SatinSkysSatinSkys Posts: 2
    #1825 July, 2019, 11:11 pm.

It is driving me nuts. I am prof. Level 22 and I have been playing ALL levels for the last week and havnt found 1!! That's why I googled it and it brought me to many forums and it seems everyone is getting stuck, and rhwybrecommend switching to prof...butvthatvis whatvibam and I havnt seen ANY. Very frustrating inwas blowing theuball challange s tilnthis one has me stuck.

• SatinSkysSatinSkys Posts: 2
    #1925 July, 2019, 11:11 pm.

• DogoutlawDogoutlaw Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #2026 July, 2019, 04:23 am.

@SatinSkys it can definitely be frustrating. I think professors are having best luck around level 4. It takes time and I wanna say it took about 25-30 battles to finally get my 10.

#2126 July, 2019, 01:08 pm.

I'm finally down to 7/10 after burning through most of my runestones, switching to Professor and just keep playing Level 4 until a **** Formidable Pixie showed up.

I'm sure I'll get the missing 3 eventually but I think it's fair to say this particular task is on the frustrating side a bit too much.

• PrincipiaCoHPrincipiaCoH Posts: 8 ✭✭
    #2226 July, 2019, 01:58 pm.

Realize that "Defeat 10 Formidable X" formula is deliberate and repeats itself, rotating through each class' weakest category (or strongest, if you prefer to think of it that way).

Hint #1: Get together with friends to maximize the number of creatures being pulled per tower run, thereby increasing the odds you'll get a formidable pixie somewhere in there.

Hint #2: Keep doing said runs until everyone who needs the 10 has their 10.

Hint #3: If the tower levels you are trying almost never produce formidable whatevers even with a full room, then you probably aren't playing the right level - either too high if you're mostly seeing imposing, or too low if formidable is the highest you would ever expect to see in the first place. Our sweet spot was around Ruins V/Tower Chamber I.

• CytopeAchenCytopeAchen Posts: 354 ✭✭✭✭
    #2326 July, 2019, 02:44 pm.

Once again the difficulty adds to the sense of accomplishment and I say this as someone who struggled through the pixies and currently going through the deatheaters. I do think an Imposing, Dangerous or Fierce should count toward the Formidable count though. Seems silly that beating a stronger version of an NPC doesn't count toward the total.

• GlimmermirGlimmermir Posts: 75 ✭✭✭
    #2426 July, 2019, 06:35 pm.

I don't mind the specific enemy type, as it is at least theoretically possible to get another player to help with the spawns.

What drove me comepltely up the wall was that the requirement was for formidable only. It felt like every pixie I found was common or imposing, so in addition to the disappointment of not getting the right foe, I had the additional insult of hope for the fragment of time it took to look from the monster thumbnail to the number of stars in the ring.

These really should be formidable or higher, which would at least make it possible to go to higher levels with other players to increase the chances of meeting the goal.

• TheRealHP55TheRealHP55 Posts: 73 ✭✭
    #2526 July, 2019, 09:38 pm.

I've only been stuck on this for a few days now but the first one I got was when my wife (a professor) joined the game 2 days ago and went into her first fortress with me. Hopefully having her along with me in the fortresses now will increase my chances. 🤞

• ripokeyripokey Posts: 2
    #2626 July, 2019, 10:04 pm.

That task was annoying. The ten formidable death eater task later was frustrating as well. But there seems to be no need to rush through these sos tasks since there is no more assignment after the death eater one. It says “coming soon.”

• CytopeAchenCytopeAchen Posts: 354 ✭✭✭✭
    #2727 July, 2019, 12:26 am.

@ripokey thank you for the heads up on that! Not such a rush feeling like I'm going to be left behind now.

• AuroraKadavraAuroraKadavra Posts: 745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #2827 July, 2019, 08:06 am.

Ive been stuck on this for an age it seems! Lvl 24 auror and ive not encountered 1 in too many battles to count!! Ive given up on the sos- feel like il never get them! But hearing different strategies others have used i might give it a go trying the things @FunkyGaaroth has mentioned & others. Cheers peeps 😊

• CraeftCraeft Posts: 997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #2927 July, 2019, 07:01 pm.

Got my first formidable pixie today... finally.

Sure would be nice to be able to regenerate energy so i could continue. Niantic is not getting another penny from me for energy restoration. Inns are too spread out. I managed to hit 4 of them today for a grand total of... 12 energy. Yep. All inns only gave 3 before I gave up since none are in walking distance of each other nor in walking distance of a fortress.

Probably won't be completing this SOS because of that very fact.

• Ve225Ve225 Posts: 100 ✭✭
    #3028 July, 2019, 03:11 am.

I finally completed this task, yay! I have been into many fortresses just to find the formidable poxies weren't one of the many foes inside. I almost used all my 1st level runestone

• DogoutlawDogoutlaw Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #3128 July, 2019, 05:31 am.

Well done @Ve225 !! Feels good doesn’t it?!